main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the patriotism in the US a little too much? Is it getting old? Is it out of hand?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Gutter_Monkey, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutter_Monkey

Gutter_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    I personally think yes it is. S11 was horrible, but still, it's been nine months, and I'm just getting tired of people wraping everything in the flag. And woe to you if you question Dubya's actions, for in such a case you must surely be a terrorist sypithyser.

This is just not proper and American-bashing. Argue with me in PM if you want, but I don't see myself opening this up.

I am mod. See me lock.

2. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    What's wrong with being proud to be an American?

3. Gutter_Monkey

Oct 15, 2001
    Nothing. It's when you start saying things like "I'm an American, therefore, I must be in some way supiror to other people."

Also, the American flag is being used to sell everything these days. It's just sick. The flag is a symbol, and it should mean something more then "Dish detergent- 2 for 1!"

4. SaberSlinger

SaberSlinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I personally think yes it is. S11 was horrible, but still, it's been nine months, and I'm just getting tired of people wraping everything in the flag. And woe to you if you question Dubya's actions, for in such a case you must surely be a terrorist sypithyser.

In case you haven't noticed, our country is at war. This is usually how things are in a time of war. I know it was pretty much the same back in '91, but of course it was toned down a little bit because we didn't get attacked on our own soil [face_plain]

I'll use my patriotic saber for this one:
    o]||||{-------SaberSlinger-------

5. Sarajevo

Sarajevo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2002
    There is nothing wrong with showing your patriotism, but I am tired of seeing people use the flag to sell things. Its not out of hand IMO. If any country was put in our place they would be the same.

6. StarFire

Oct 31, 2001
    The attempt at commercialization of patriotism is out of hand, and it irks me. But the patriotism itself is just great, in my opinion.

7. Gutter_Monkey

Oct 15, 2001
    In case you haven't noticed, our country is at war.

Thats the excuse that Dubya and his pals use to make sure that no one questions thier actions. If Americans lose the ability to speak out just beacse we are threatend, then do are freedoms mean anything in the first place?

8. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Most people know my views on this topic by now, but I'll post anyway. ;)

I believe in patriotism. I do not believe in commercial exploitation of patriotism. This country and the wide variety of media within it (radio, television, journalism, Hollywood, news media etc) has been caught up in this "We are Americans" mentality since last September. What were we before, and why did it take such a terrible act to redefine our patriotism?

Yes, I believe patriotism is out of hand, because it is being used to sell, to exploit, and to drive agendas that would otherwise be seen as infringing.

How much freedom have we lost at the expense of fear-based patriotism? How much more will we lose before we open our eyes?

9. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Gutter_Monkey, bite your tongue little man!

I'm so sick and tired of people bad-mouthing America. We are the most powerful (and best) country in the world. We shouldn't be doubted, and that goes for how we react towards tragic events.

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Did you learn spelling and grammar in American schools, Gutter_Monkey? If so, that fact makes me decidedly less patriotic. In fact, it looks as though the terrorists have already won.

You appear to be using this as yet another opprtunity to blast President Bush, no matter how irrelevant he is to this topic.

Do you have any examples to show how or why partiotism is bad? Or had you rather, as your sig suggests, simply use the resources and opportunity that being American gives you while offering nothing in return but vitriol?

AYBABTU?

11. Gutter_Monkey

Oct 15, 2001
    Thank you Chevyo! That's exsactly how I feel!

12. bountyhunter2999

Mar 13, 2002
    Greatful to be an American...just not proud

I don't like your sig Gutter_Monkey.

13. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    And woe to you if you question Dubya's actions, for in such a case you must surely be a terrorist sympathizer

I agree whole-heartedly that speaking out against either American policy, government, beliefs, or anything "American" these days will practically get you lynched. Apprarently when you use your "Freedom of Speech", you are anti-American. I've been called anti-Patriotic, a Commie (A famous word Americans use against someone who is against any American belief), or a traitor. The phrase "Love it or leave it" is making a strong comeback in said conversations. It is too bad that the right to question the tactics used by our people and goverment disappeared on 9/11/01, along with the Americans who unfortunately lost their lives. They are the true victims of the 9/11 tragedy.

14. Gutter_Monkey

Oct 15, 2001
    Yes in fact I did learn grammer and spelling in American public schools. California public schools to be presise, so don't take my gramatical incompatance as a commentary on the whole of our nation's educational system.

Bounty hunter...I don't like your sig either, but I don't whine about it.

15. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Ok, is it just in California where people can't spell common words?

And how again is patriotism a bad thing?

AYBABTU?

16. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    It's when you start saying things like "I'm an American, therefore, I must be in some way supiror to other people."

I'm seeing lately that a lot of people have taken to doing this - redefining to their twisted up idea of what 'patriotism' is, in order to bash the US.

Why is it with some of you that Americans can't support, be proud of, and appreciate our own country without being accused of disrespecting others?

17. Gutter_Monkey

Oct 15, 2001
    Yes, it's just in California.

And I never said patriotism is a bad thing, I said that its getting out of hand, and that its just sickining to see people wrap the flag around everything.

18. bountyhunter2999

Mar 13, 2002
    Gutter Monkey, this is exactly what starts conflict.........traitors.

You're friggin' bad-mouthing America in her time of need, you're questioning America's superiority, and while still at war you continue to bash Americans and how they react to it.

You better not turn into that John Walker fruit.

19. bountyhunter2999

Mar 13, 2002
    And I never said patriotism is a bad thing, I said that its getting out of hand, and that its just sickining to see people wrap the flag around everything.

That's sort of an oxymoron.

20. Gutter_Monkey

Oct 15, 2001
    Oh yes...god forbid that I actually think that America may not be suprior in every way shape and form to every other contry ever on the face of the planet. How could I show such disrespect for my homeland?

Thank you bounty hunter, your innane rantings and uneducated arguments have saved me from a life of thinking for myself. How can I ever repay you good sir?

21. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"innane rantings and uneducated arguments"

Pot, meet Kettle.

AYBABTU?

22. bountyhunter2999

Mar 13, 2002
    [face_ plain] I don't need an American basher be sarcastic to me.

First, you can start explaining this:

And I never said patriotism is a bad thing, I said that its getting out of hand, and that its just SICKENING to see people wrap the flag around everything.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

That's a friggin' oxymoron.

23. StarFire

Oct 31, 2001
    Breath in ... breath out ... breath in ... breath out ...

Relaaaax. Go get a drink at the SF Bar & Grill. Exhale the negativity, inhale the positivity.

Ahhhh . . . :)

// Goes catch butterflies

24. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    speaking out against either American policy, government, beliefs, or anything "American" these days will practically get you lynched.

Oh please. I haven't seen anyone being silenced, much less lynched, for disagreeing with the policies of the war on terrorism. The dissenters have just as much freedom of speech as anyone else, and have been exercising it quite frequently from what I've read and heard.

However, having people vehemently disagree with you IS a consequence stating your opinion, y'know.

25. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

The reason you're catching flack, Gutter_Monkey, is because you have made virtually no legitimate points that qualify or validate your opinion. All you do is spout a steady stream of anti-Americanism and opposition to the President, and you do so in a way that makes you seem quite uneducated and irrelevant, further undermining your credibility.

AYBABTU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.