Is the patriotism in the US a little too much? Is it getting old? Is it out of hand?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Gutter_Monkey, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutter_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3

And I never said patriotism is a bad thing, I said that its getting out of hand, and that its just SICKENING to see people wrap the flag around everything.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

It's supposed to mean that contrary to how you may have prejudeged me I love this country, and I don't want fed BS like "Smith Steak Knives- the patriotic choice for BBQ everyware in this great land"
    I don't want to see flags being sold with the American pattern on the front, and Chrisler Motor company on the back. I don't want to see people put up those stupid little flags on thier cars just beacuse it's trendy. And most of all, I don't want to be trampled on for useing the most sacried of American rights-freedom of expression-just beacuse I choose to say "now wait a minute, arn't we getting a little pigheaded? Perhaps we should slow down and re-evaluate the situation before we get ahead of ourselvs."
  2. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh yes...god forbid that I actually think that America may not be suprior in every way shape and form to every other contry ever on the face of the planet. How could I show such disrespect for my homeland?

Thank you bounty hunter, your innane rantings and uneducated arguments have saved me from a life of thinking for myself. How can I ever repay you good sir?

I'm just being patriotic. :)

Oh yeah [face_shocked] , I forgot, you don't like patriotism. [face_plain]

Well then, I'll change my whole perspective on things so you can ACTUALLY have an idiot partner to back you up on your opinion.
  3. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

Anybody want to see a ridiculous flaw and double standard within Gutter_Monkey's reasoning? Check out and compare these two gems --

1. "most sacried [sic] of American rights-freedom of expression"

2. "I don't want to see people put up those stupid little flags on thier [sic] cars"

[face_laugh] Priceless!

AYBABTU?

4. Gutter_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have no problem with pariotism, as long as it doesn't get in the way of one's judgement.

On a side note, I havn't personally attacked you, so please don't personally attack me.
  5. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
    It's supposed to mean that contrary to how you may have prejudeged me I love this country, and I don't want fed BS like "Smith Steak Knives- the patriotic choice for BBQ everyware in this great land"
    I don't want to see flags being sold with the American pattern on the front, and Chrisler Motor company on the back. I don't want to see people put up those stupid little flags on thier cars just beacuse it's trendy. And most of all, I don't want to be trampled on for useing the most sacried of American rights-freedom of expression-just beacuse I choose to say "now wait a minute, arn't we getting a little pigheaded? Perhaps we should slow down and re-evaluate the situation before we get ahead of ourselvs."

Well there is only a few things I can say that:

1. "God Bless America!"
    2. "Hail President Bush!"
    3. "Keep On Trucking!"
    4. "Flags For Everyone!"
    5. "Support Our Great Country!"
    6. "Salute The Flag! Honor it!
  6. Gutter_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3

1. "most sacried of American rights-freedom of expression"

2. "I don't want to see people put up those stupid little flags on thier cars"

[face_blush] oops...heh heh... did I really say that? Oh well, I guess I ment to say it annoys me to see those stupid little flags, but I will support the right to adorn your vehicle with as many stupid little flags as you want.
  7. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree Gutter_Monkey

Americans are getting arrogant right now and it's sickens me as well...
  8. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
    7. "I'm gonna put a little flag on my truck and eat BBQ chicken and use Smith Steak Knives- the patriotic choice for BBQ everyware in this great land and line my bed with the American flag, so when I toss and turn, I can be wrapped up in it."
  9. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
    Darth omega, you're from the Netherlands.

You have no say in this.
  10. Gutter_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3
    1. "God Bless America!"
    2. "Hail President Bush!"
    3. "Keep On Trucking!"
    4. "Flags For Everyone!"
    5. "Support Our Great Country!"
    6. "Salute The Flag! Honor it!"

Well, that's your right, and I'll suport you if thats what you want to say.

But waht I want to say is:

"I think America should take a reality check and realise that we DO NOT rule the world. Other countrys matter to, wheither we acknolege them or not."

EDIT: Omega has just as much a say in this as he wants. The overzelaious "America is better than anyone else in the world" attitude affects other people in ohter countrys too.
  11. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
    "I think America should take a reality check and realise that we DO NOT rule the world. Other countrys matter to, wheither we acknolege them or not."

You're right. But, that's not what I"m arguing about. You've turned this thread into an anti-American thread with your America bashing.
  12. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Darth omega, you're from the Netherlands.

You have no say in this.

I don't

LOL [face_laugh]

I've talked to a lot of Americans on these boards. Most of them were arrogant and way to patriotic, so I've the right to say something about it...
  13. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
  14. TeeBee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Americans are getting arrogant right now and it's sickens me as well...

[sarcasm]Of course, Bin Laden and his terrorist cronies aren't arrogant. We all know that pulverizing buildings and thousands of civilians is the height of humility.[/sarcasm]
  15. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

What the hell is "to [sic] patriotic" anyway? Because we wave the flag when we're attacked and thousands of our citizens are killed? You people amaze me. You sure are quick to blast the US. Meanwhile, we're the first ones you come to when you have a crisis anywhere in the world. I sure don't see too many nations turning down our money, food, and support. Crisis in the Balkans? Europe too sad to deal with it? Call the Americans. Oh no! We Europeans know that the US routed the Taliban, but we sure could use a little more help policing Afghanistan! Oh no! Earthquake in India! Please send aid, food, money, and supplies Uncle Sam.

Face facts -- the US is the nation that everyone expects to come in and clean up any messes. When you all stop being so damn dependent on us, maybe we'll stop feeling so "supiror [sic]"

AYBABTU?

16. Gutter_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't think it is "too patriotic" to wave a flag and be proud. What I don't like is when Americans start spouting the idea that we are somehow better then the rest of the world. That our people are smarter or more honest, that beacsue our military is strong, that makes us a good people. America IS great. But so is Canada, Brittan, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweeden, Norway, ect...

I'm not anti-American. I'm just saying that America is too arogant. The US has a lot of great chiricterisitcs. I love the rights that I am afforded by liveing here. I love having enough food to eat and a place to live. I love America, but I also realise that she has her faults. And just beacuse she has so much going right, doesn't mean we shouldn't adress the what is still wrong. And arrogance is near the top of the list.

Right behind guns, state sponsered religious schools, and exicutions. But they already have thier own threads.
  17. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Of course, Bin Laden and his terrorist cronies aren't arrogant. We all know that pulverizing buildings and thousands of civilians is the height of humility

Could you tell me where I wrote that Bin Laden wasn't arrogant...

I missed that part...

please tell me
  18. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
    Shut up Gutter Monkey! :mad:

Nice post Darth_Aybabtu! :D
  19. StarFire Jedi Master

star 4
    bountyhunter, dude. Relax. Telling people to shut up is bad. Gets the blood pressure up.
  20. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    I'm not anti-American. I'm just saying that America is too arogant. The US has a lot of great chiricterisitcs. I love the rights that I am afforded by liveing here. I love having enough food to eat and a place to live. I love America, but I also realise that she has her faults. And just beacuse she has so much going right, doesn't mean we shouldn't adress the what is still wrong. And arrogance is near the top of the list.

Yes, she has her faults. Like the California school system.

Right behind guns, state sponsered religious schools, and exicutions. But they already have thier own threads.

I think most nations are arrogant. Look at KaineDamos. He's from Ireland and about as bad as we are as far as arrogance is concerned. LoL, Guns, where would America be without guns? Ohh yeah, that's right, a British colony. And state sponsored religious schools? No such thing, private maybe, but not state supported. Executions have been done throughout civilization. And it ranks right up there with war as an effective population control. ;) :p
  21. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
  22. Gutter_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Another of the great freedoms that you get as an American bounty hunter, is the right to ignore people you don't like. If all you are going to do is say I'm stupid ten different ways, then maybie you should just leave.

Starfire seems to get the idea that just beacuse (s)he and I have a respectful difference of opion, there is no reason not to be civil.

23. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Master

star 4
    "Respectful opnion about America" does not equal anti-American America bashing.
  24. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    See they don't like your opinion because they hate you. It's the fact that you're an American bashing America. Big difference between some Eupropean doing it and one of our own. :p Next time think before you type a dissenting viewpoint. "Hmm....maybe I'd get bashed less if I kept it to myself. Hmm...."

Examples:

Bashing: I hate Americans who are too patriotic, it's sickening.

Criticism: I think America's patriotism is getting a little out of hand.
  25. SCOTSSITHLORD Force Ghost

star 2
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Wise words, though I'd personally change it around a little, and say it's usually the first stop, rather than the last refuge.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.