main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the patriotism in the US a little too much? Is it getting old? Is it out of hand?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Gutter_Monkey, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Americans are getting arrogant right now and it's sickens me as well...

Right now, as in while fighting back against being attacked by an arrogant Bin Laden and his arrogant terrorist cronies. Or did I miss some other big event that caused Americans to begin showing their patriotism more frequently than they were a year ago at this time?

Bottom line is, I DON'T see how being patriotic is synonymous with being arrogant. As I stated previously, why can't we be proud of our country without being accused of disrespecting others'? I really don't understand all the breathless accusations of Americans being snotty arrogant turds because we like where we live and will fight to keep it safe.

2. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    TeeBee's right!!!

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Hmm....maybe I'd get bashed less if I kept it to myself. Hmm....

Hmm....maybe people will criticsize me less if I keep the patriotism to myself. hmmmm

that's the correct answer

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I think it's the "We're great" comment. In some circles that's arrogant. But I usually don't see people saying 'we're great' until we're bashed. Otherwise it's usually "I'm proud to be an American"

5. bountyhunter2999

Mar 13, 2002
    :mad: at post before last post!!!

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Hmm....maybe people will criticsize me less if I keep the patriotism to myself. hmmmm

Well I can't accuse the Netherlands of being patriotic. So you're right, maybe it would be best if you didn't say "The Netherlands rule all!" :p

7. bountyhunter2999

Mar 13, 2002
    Seems like Gutter Monkey has ran away because we were too patriotic for his taste.

8. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    Jirin, you are absolutely correct!! Patriotism has gotten out of control and out of hand. It is my belief that nationalism and patriotism is the barrier to elevating humanity above its weakened state! Only in a true global community can we escape our species specific problems.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well that's different.

10. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Exactly, FID. I don't know anyone who goes around extoling the virtues of the US or bursting with pride about being American to anyone with in earshot. It only comes up when on the defensive against just these kinds of baseless accusations.

11. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    ...as long as Americans foot the majority of the bill.

12. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    "I'm proud to be an American"

That is patriotism

We are the most powerful (and best) country in the world.

That's arrogant

you know the difference?

13. bountyhunter2999

Mar 13, 2002
  14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I like America, I like what it stands for too. I also have my gripes about it too. But I would never say that the patriotism is a bad thing. If it makes someone feel better, do it. Don't bash the people who are proud to live where they are. Put yourself in their shoes-would you honestly like someone talking smack about your country?

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    "I'm proud to be an American"

That is patriotism

We are the most powerful (and best) country in the world.

That's arrogant

you know the difference?

Yes, and Americans are zealous about their patriotism? Does that make them arrogant? No. How's saying you're the most powerful arrogant? It's not like it's an opinion. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.