main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is the Prequel "Era" of Star Wars over? If so, what did it all mean to you?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The last round of Clone Wars episodes have now been released. Looking at where the franchise is headed at this point, I think its safe to say that we've seen the last major piece of prequel-era content for quite some time. There may be a comic book here or there, or maybe a novel or two, but we have certainly seen the end of of the time where the things of the Prequel environment, the Clone Wars, the Old Jedi Order, Anakin and Obi Wan, take center stage in the continuing output of Star Wars content.

So looking back, what did it all mean to you? What did the prequel era give you, good or bad? What are your take aways? How did this stretch of 15 years affect how you think about Star Wars?

For me, my main takeaway is this: Do not underestimate the imaginative force that is George Lucas. I'm not been talking about the quality of the prequel films from a cinematic standpoint. I'm talking about the immense, massive pieces of worldbuilding that he gave us in Episode 1 alone, and then even more in the following films and The Clone Wars. I was completely and utterly confused by Phantom Menace upon release. It didn't look like Star Wars to me. Everything was so different. But as time went on, as the other two films were released, I begin to appreciate how hugely and radically George Lucas expanded our notions of what Star Wars is. Seeing Coruscant, the senate, the Jedi Temple (and the Jedi in their prime), the Clone War conflict, etc, were all huge things that visually and thematically changed my perception of what Star Wars is and what kinds of stories can be told in that universe.

And finally, seeing a firmer look at the Old Republic gave us a whole new wave of Old-Old Republic Era content, the most notable of which for me is my main non-movie Star Wars love, which is Knights of the Old Republic. That game would not have been possible without a lot of the worldbuilding found in the Prequels.

Mod Edit: Removed declaration of finality, turned it into a question instead. ~Sx3

2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm glad that we're finally out of this era, TBH.

3. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    quote] So looking back, what did it all mean to you? What did the prequel era give you, good or bad? What are your take aways? How did this stretch of 15 years affect how you think about Star Wars? [/quote]

Glad to have experienced it, but a little disappointed in that I felt like the PT had more potential.

vinsanity, Barbecue17 and Mr. K like this.
  4. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    We know, Garret. We know.

What the PT era did for me was expand the definition of what Star Wars is, was, and will be, almost completely without the use or exploitation of any OT imagery whatsoever. But in a way I think we needed this draught from the classic imagery, since now we're heading into Rebels, there'll be a whole new nostalgic feeling with returning to the time of stormtroopers and tie fighters.

5. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    I'm gonna miss it since I basically grew up with it, but I'm totally fine with moving on. It was a great experience from beginning to end for me :).

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Gave us answers on how the OT came to be. How did Anakin fall and become Vader? How did Palpatine become Emperor? How did the Jedi Order fall? What were the Clone Wars? etc. Expanded our knowledge of the galaxy. Planets, aliens, force powers, lightsaber battles etc.
    Great times growing up. ROTS was one of the major highlights of my life growing up. Only way to end the saga.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Now don't misunderstand me - I love the PT, and I LOVED the prequel era. But... I'm glad it's time to move on, honestly. I think the PT era got more attention than the OT, honestly.

Now, I don't think we're gonna go to a second OT era. I hope the fandom and culture of the ST era will be... the ST era xD

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It meant that I remained a Star Wars fan. Not that I would've disliked the OT if I-III hadn't come about, but I don't believe the original films alone would've been enough to maintain my interest in the series to the degree it is today.

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    For me, the "Prequel Era" enriched the SW saga in a way that the first three movies never did. I'm not saying that the PT is better than the OT. But it made me appreciate the saga and Lucas' storytelling a lot better than I did before 1999.

I fear that is not going to happen, and that the ST will turn out to be OT2.0. God, I hope I'm wrong. I truly do. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

10. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

I agree with you, and others who have said that, on the whole, It's a good thing that this era had ended. I appreciate the contributions of the PT era, but 15 years is a long time. I look forward to Rebels, which should bring back some of that old school OT vibe, and I especially look forward to the ST era, which will hopefully have an identity of its own.

In fact, something that gets me really excited for the future is, if the PT was able to so radically expand our idea of what Star Wars is, what will the ST do?

11. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I agree the era is getting a bit boring, but I think this era is better than pre-ANH era, despite the amount of material on which to form an analysis. Since there isn't that much stuff there yet. I just hate seeing the Empire being endlessly abused and viewed as incompetent because they are "evil." I will however, be happy to leave if the Empire is treated properly in the upcoming novels/Rebels.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The era should have moved on years ago. TCW should have been a Dark Times series.

13. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    Having been a senior in high school when TPM came out, the hardest thing for me to grasp is how old the movies now are.

Think about this: people that were born when TPM came out are DRIVING! The last prequel movie came out almost 10 years ago! 10 years after Return of the Jedi, it was 1993. In 1993, Star Wars was OLD! And, they were only 3 years away from starting work on TPM!

It's still hard for me to think of the prequels as no longer being new movies. In popular culture, they are just as much Star Wars as the OT is. By the time we are 10 years past the ST (assuming EP9 in 2020), like we are now 10 years past the prequels, The Phantom Menace will be 30 years old. Return of the Jedi will be 46 years old. You know who can tell the difference between a 30 year old movie and a 46 year old movie?

For comparison, 2001: A Space Odyssey is 46 years old; 2010 is 30 years old. I would consider those from the same era.

My point is by the time the ST is considered "old", the OT and PT are going to be lumped together. They will seem more alike than we consider them now.

I just hope I make it to 2077 (I'll be 95 years old), so I can be around when Star Wars turns 100 years old. By that time, Revenge of the Sith will be 72-years old. Guess how different a 72-year old movie is going to seem compared to a 100-year old movie . . .

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    From the current standpoint, pretty different, actually. A 100-year-old movie is barely recognizable as a movie to us, whereas a 72-year-old movie would have come out around the time of Casablanca.

V-2 likes this.
  16. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    For me, the worst, toughest and most depressing time of being a STAR WARS fan is finally over. Finally, there's something I can look forward to, though I'll never be as pumped to see STAR WARS on the big screen like I was pumped prior to 1997 (when the special editions were re-released).

Yes, GL had some nice ideas about the STAR WARS universe BUT without the help of Gavin Bocquet, Peter Russell, Trisha Biggar and all the other key contributors, that would mean nothing. My perception of STAR WARS hasn't changed other than I was thoroughly disappointed. And thank Gawd that GL finally left the director's chair. He should've made that decision back in 2002, like he did in 1980 (for a very good reason).

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Same here. If not for the prequels, Star Wars would almost mean the same to me as Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters or Back to the Future. Great childhood movies that bear a rewatch once in a while.

It's unfortunate that the end of this era means the end of Lucas involvement with the franchise. In fact, the amount of input Lucas will have on the sequels will decide the amount of interest I'll give to the franchise in the future.

18. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014

That good reason being…?

19. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Heading the production of Star Wars was affecting his health towards the end, so he decided that if he was going to run the business side that he needed someone else to direct.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Fortunately that doesn't apply to 2002.

21. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    Exhaustion, health problems, trouble working with actors (the most striking factor of all), plus the constant struggle with ILM, the British crew, the weather and the locations (hence shooting the PT mainly in studio surroundings).
    It really is pretty obvious that Lucas is more comfortable in a producer role than being at the helm of a movie. And it shows in the PT.

22. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I'll say it frankly, for me, the prequel era ended in 2005. With the release of ROTS DVD the trilogy was completed, Lucas said that there'll be no more movies, and as the movies are the only things I care about the SW universe, that was it. I'm not diminishing the role The Clone Wars animated series has, but due to it's not-so-serious style I just can't force myself into considering it as an integral part of the franchise.

The prequels are the reason I took interest in the saga, I'd say that's enough. They enriched the SW universe, movie scene and even art scene, according to Camille Paglia. They attracted an army of fans, gave them plenty of material to think about, to dream, they inspired many other works etc. My personal observation is that without the prequels, there would be no sequels or spin-off movies or all the other things we're gone enjoy in the next 5-6 years.

Great words, Han Burgundy! Spoken in the context of the prequels, all I can say is that I wholeheartedly agree.

23. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    I enjoyed the PT era, but I am left with a feeling of missed opportunities. For example:
    Naboo should have been Alderaan, so the audience has an emotional connection to Alderaan when it goes kablooie in EPIV.
    More time devoted to Anakin/ObiWan's friendship in the films (though CW goes some way to redress this)
    Clearer / longer development of Anakins fall.
    And why oh why doesn't Anakin (unconsciously) use the force instead of a magnet to grab that cable when his pod racer breaks? That could have been a great 'force' moment.

But hey, whats done is done, and there is still plenty of cool stuff (mostly when Ewan or Ian McD are on screen).

24. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Fortunately, none of these reasons were present in 2002 (AOTC had probably more "real" locations than TESB).

Lucas prefers writing and editing over directing. Producing and directing is not very comparable, imo.
    Sometimes I wished he had made that decision in 1974 (after finishing American Graffiti). That'd mean no Star Wars but, most importantly, no annoying Star Wars fans [face_dancing]

On topic:
    The prequel era was (or is, because it hasn't changed) certainly my favourite time period. The moment I discoverd Star Wars (all six episode had already been released and on DVD), that was instantly the time period which interested me the most.
    A dying democracy, characters heading for hell, corruption, mistrust and manipulation intrigued me a lot more than freedom fighters and I tyrannic empire. All the same, this was the time period of woderful design, art and opulence. A great mix.

I'm really anxious about the ST.
    I hope it will turn out to be its own thing and not simply a poor copy of the OT.
    If it's an OT rip-off, though, I don't have to like it because I have the power to leave. And this is my final comment on the PT era.

25. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013