main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the sequel trilogy more anticipated than the prequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by hyperionprime, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperionprime

hyperionprime Jedi Knight

Apr 3, 2011
    from your own feeling,are you most excited with episode VII than you were with episode 1?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    So when people have something to say about my "wall of text" posts, take a good long look at what's above and then remind yourself that at least MY posts make sense.

In before the lock.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title changed to better reflect the intended discussion.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hey, English is not everyone's native language ;)

Personally, I'm more excited for ST because I never thought we'd actually get one. Plus, it is a total unknown as to what is going to happen and who is going to be involved. In PT, we more or less knew the general outline. Here, we're in brand new territory.

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    While I'm more excited about the sequel trilogy, I'm gunna guess that the Prequels were more anticipated

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The return of the big 3 could generate more hype than the prequels had.

TK327, Dewback, Michaea and 5 others like this.
  7. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm more excited for this upcoming trilogy and I think the general public is too. Its a sequel to The Holy Trilogy.

8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This is impossible to answer. Of course we're hyped for E7. But at the time we were equally hyped for E1. Only hindsight changes things.

kainee and Pfluegermeister like this.
  9. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I think with the current fan base yes. There were many people who were teenagers when Eps I-III came out. Many of them have children who play Angry Birds: Star Wars Edition. This will be a bigger fan base for sure.

mratm23 likes this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This compares apples to oranges though really. See -- there are more people around now. So yeah a larger percentage will be interested than say a 15 years ago. But that doesn't mean its more anticipated. I think we're seeing revisionist history. Back in the late 90's the PT was heavily anticipated just as today. I remember reading Starlog magazine a few years before E1 came out speculating about what the PT would be like. Its just that today there's more people and more media cources, so it will SEEM like there's more anticipation which isn't the case.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm more hyped for the ST than I was the PT as a whole but as separate movies Episode 3 wins hands down at the moment.

Alienware and lord_eidolon like this.
  12. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    I believe the PT was more hyped at this stage, however I have to say I am more hyped for the ST to be better, but before Phantom Crevice came out , none of us were any wiser of the missed opportunity we were in store for. Right now we are in the middle - 6 live action down - 4 good ones and 2 terrible ones and now we are awaiting 6 more movies - this is like the Friday night of a long weekend - we know weekends are good and on this one all the good stuff lies ahead.

vinsanity likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think it's as anticipated as the PT. When the PT came out the SW universe was untarnished. Jorge could do no wrong. Then they come out, and regardless of those who like it, the consensus is that they suck. Pull out statistics to say otherwise, but the idea of the PT represented in Pop Culture is that they suck. You can't change that.

The PT alienated a lot of people, who were probably worn out and disappointed enough to shrug their shoulders when they heard about the ST. For everyone else, there is excitement, but with a great deal of worry as well. People just want a great Star Wars movie.

15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    There may be more interest and curiosity as to where the ST goes since there's no direct result expected. However, I think that many many many people are weary due to the prequels (namely Ep1 and 2).

I think since the PT was seen as necessary to many and there was a direct pathway, it was more anticipated. It had also been SO long since the original trilogy that people were excited. Much had been building to it (the Thrawn novels, new video games, more books, the special editions, etc.). The timing was perfect, but as we got closer and more and more rumors/spoilers were spilt, people became suspicious that it wouldn't be what they wanted.

On the other hand, while people have bad memories of the prequels (again, espeically Ep1 and 2 since 3 was pretty decent), many will eagerly anticipate JJ Abram's work-espeically since the Star Trek movies were very well received in general.

The new "management" will have studied what went wrong with the PT and use that to their advantage to make this right. Like with the PT with everything else going on involving Star Wars at the time, the ST will also have a lot going on.

But no matter what happens, the critics will tear SW apart or at least want to.

HankSolo likes this.
  16. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    No, not really. The PT was far more anticipated because it was about to show us how Vader and little Skywalkers came to be, it was about to change the world's perspective on the SW universe. Sequels are more in focus because of the question will the Big three return and because of J. J.'s involvement and Lucas' retirement. Although this could change, for me it'll never surpass the PT's six-part story.

17. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I only somewhat agree with your assessment of the PT. I think among the sub-set of people who are highly into the snark-filled meme-dominated world of Internet posting the PT is an abyssmal failure. However, I don't think those people represent everyone. ROTS still has a very strong rating on IMDb of 7.7 -- higher than virtually all comic books films, Harry Potter films, and Bond films. And IMDb isn't biased in any pro-Star Wars way. TPM and ATOC have pretty bad ratings, and ROTS has definitely been weighed down by haters giving it a 1 when virtually nothing but the Star Wars Holiday Special really deserves a 1, and just a small percentage of 1's and 2's have a big effect on the overall rating.

I totally agree that the dominant view expressed by people who make snarky comments on sites like Youtube is totally outrage at GL for making the PT, putting a rock in front of R2, and basically for remaining among the living, but I remember once, when I read a particularly nasty comment about GL on Youtube, I decided to comment. I said something like: "Well, I thought the first 2 prequels weren't that great, but I liked ROTS a lot and I think a lot people and critics agree with me." For that comment, I got like 60 likes and it became the #1 top comment, then when GL-haters tried to slam ROTS and I kept defending it, each of my responses then became the new #1 top comment.

My view is that a lot of people like ROTS, but it's sort of like people liking Michael Jackson a few years after Thriller (when he was weird but before he got really weird). Nobody would admit that they liked MJ by the time "Bad" and "Dangerous" were released, but strangely, those albums still sold like hot cakes, he had tons of #1's off them, the release of his videos were huge events on MTV, etc., etc. Tons of people still liked MJ a lot, but they were afraid to admit it b/c they were afraid they'd get mocked. Same thing for ROTS.

CoolyFett, jaqen and kainee like this.
  18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Doesn't really compare to my anticipation of Episode I, partly because I am older now and have a more eclectic taste in art, and partly because the whole Disney deal just doesn't sit quite right with me. Still eager to see it, of course, but in a manner similar to how I'm eager to see a few other upcoming films.

Gallandro likes this.
  19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    For me... Nope. I have a lot of faith in JJ and whatever story George can concoct to extend the Saga. But to me the Star Wars Saga will always be the story of the downfall of Anakin Skywalker and his redemption by his son, Luke Skywalker. Anything beyond that simply feels tacked on. I certainly feel these movies can be solid additions to the overall story, but to me the Saga is complete. Actually I'm probably more interested in the spin off films than Episodes VII-IX.

As for general audiences, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of anticipation, but I doubt there will be as much as back in 1998-1999...

Yancy

Lady_Skywalker87 and CoolyFett like this.
  20. darthwannobi

darthwannobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2013
    I was more excited for the PT because I'd been curious about Old Ben's mention of events prior to ANH since the film's initial release. I read the Zahn novels years ago, and just assumed that was it for ST, so had never wondered much about it beyond that. I do like the idea of the ST taking a different route than the Zahn novels. I think I'm going to need some good spoiler photos to get really psyched for it though.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The thing for me is, like others have said, the ST can literally go anywhere and we have no idea what the culmination of all this is going to be. We're completely in the dark and while that can be a scary thought for some for me it's really exciting. I loved every second of the build up to the PT and loved them all but now we're in a situation that we haven't been in since 1983 (and I wasn't alive then so this is all new to me :D ) where the story is a complete blank slate. It's a new beginning as much as it is a continuation and I think the anticipation is going to be enormous as it gets closer. Will it reach PT levels? I have no idea but I plan on enjoying every second of it!

22. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    For me, yes, more excited for the ST than for the PT. That doesn't, by any stretch, mean I wasn't excited for the PT, but the difference here is the ST is new, where the PT was finally seeing things happened that we all knew a bit about from various things, and ultimately knowing the outcome of the PT.

:)

TK327 likes this.
  23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Is there another going to be another sequel to The Omen?

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  24. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I, for one, am not as excited. It's not that I'm not happy about it and can't wait to see it...It's that with the prequel trilogy there was story that needed to be told to complete the saga. That part excited me immensely. Seeing those first three episodes filled in where there was just a big hole at the time. After they were all finished I felt that it was complete.

Now we are getting more, which is phenomenal, but because the saga felt complete a year ago, makes me less excited and less hyped. Also the fact that George is several times removed from the actual production of the film. I've always looked up to Lucas's vision as unparalleled on a visual level, and while Abrams is certainly a visual filmmaker more so than anything else, he isn't the master of the frame as Lucas has been and still is.

I mean I'm super excited. Just not as I was back then. Also I was 12.

25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's very true. There was little to actually be surprised about with the prequels given we knew where it was all heading. The ST has the ability to go in its own direction.

TK327, whostheBossk and LunarMoth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.