main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the sequel trilogy more anticipated than the prequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by hyperionprime, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I have the Bane trilogy, a few of the NJO series which I haven't read except for the first one and I just got Kenobi.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I have a SW shelf with about 30 or so books, most of them set during the time frame of the films.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish I had a live Rancor on my shelf that could eat any intruders.

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002

I'm liking the collection shots. I'm slightly ashamed to say I have probably double that, though I might just be thinking that because your NJO and FotJ books are all papoerbacks (bar Star by Star juding by your picture - I think?). I bought quite a few hardbacks :(

I didn't buy all the FotJ books though, and have only bought Darth Plagueis since then (First SW Kindle purchase).

I also have about 20-30 RPG books too [face_blush]

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I own 63 ebooks, 93 novels and comics (not including single issues)... most are post RotJ though I do have other time periods too. Numbers dont include guide books, art books, etc...

Currently enjoying 4 comics, Legacy series 2, Brain Wood's Star Wars, The Star Wars, Dawn of the Jedi. Of late though been rereading old EU to see it though older eyes... and kinda say goodbye to it and ponder what might be adapted/used for inspiration from those stories. Currently rereading X-Wing Wrath Squadron

6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Since even the Mods have apparently decided that this discussion trumps the topic of this thread, I'll go ahead and add that I also have three boxes of SW comics (it was four until I said screw bags and boards), but I haven't been able to afford to collect any new ones lately.

Immortiss likes this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Definitely not.

8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I own 15 Star Wars omnibus:
    'A Long Time Ago...' Vol. I-V
    The Other Sons of Tatooine
    Tales of the Jedi, Vol. II
    Shadows of the Empire
    At War with the Empire, I and II
    X-Wing Squadron, Vol. II
    The Clone Wars, Vol. I, II, and III
    The Dark Empire Trilogy

Also, Star Wars Chronicles, The Annotated Star Wars Screenplays, Slavicsek's Guide to the Star Wars Universe, The Making of SW, Empire and Jedi, by Rinzler.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Han Solo's Revenge Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, TPM novel.

I've geeked out.

9. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Ya, First 15 on second row are NJO, then dark nest and LOTF. Wish i had all hardbacks because i get OCD over bent corners and stuff haha.

10. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    This is a thread I would like to keep going with only.......1 year and 8 days away!!! Woohoo!

I would say the answer to this thread (after reading everyone's post) is that we really have to wait and see where Ep.VII marketing takes us. Will it be an overload such as Ep.I or scaled down a bit with a lot more secrecy and uncertainty? Ep.I will be unmatched in a lot of ways considering what has been already stated in the thread in that it took so long for SW to make a comeback. Now, with the PT over, we can rev up our engines again because we know JJ won't let us down (see my "in JJ we trust you tube"). So I my answer is the less we know...the greater the anticipation will be for VII...and beyond!

11. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    As of right now the PT was more anticipated. Most people wanted to see the rise of Vader. I think the hype leading up to the prequels was like we are about to see the best Star Wars ever made! The hype now is more like will it be better or worse than the PT. The expectations feel a little more grounded but the next trailer might blow the roof off! We still don't know a lot about the movie yet. We knew a lot more about the PT leading up to its release. Time will tell as they say.

12. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Hard to say. I was in 7th grade back in '99 and loved the original trilogy. So I was definitely excited for Episode I (less excited for AOTC and ROTJ). But the excitement to see Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie and maybe Lando again probably exceeds that. But difficult to compare. I like JJ's other movies and shows so that adds to it.

13. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Hard question to answer. Before TPM was released, I was expecting the PT to be a bit closer to what I knew from the OT. Obviously, I knew it should be a bit different, but it turned out a lot different (imo). So up until the release of that first film, I was really excited to see what the story of Anakin would be like, how his story fit in with Obi-Wan and Yoda etc. The fact that it left me a bit underwhelmed doesn't change how much I was anticipating it before it's release. With that in mind, I'd say I anticipated the PT about as much as I am anticipating the ST. I mean, sure, the ST is going to show me what happened to the classic heroes after ROTJ, but the prequels held a similar promise in the opposite direction, it was going to show us how older OT heroes came to be in the situation they were in at the time of ANH. I'm a tad more certain that the ST films are going to live up to the world of the OT this time, though.

So to answer the question. It's about the same for me.

14. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm more excited about the sequels if only because we are finally moving the story FORWARD.

We are in UNCHARTED territory.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  15. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I was very excited for the PT. They were the first SW movies I got to see in the theatre. Since I was less than enthused by them, I feel I am more excited for the ST in hopes they will be much better than the ST.

16. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    I got most of my EU books at Goodwill.

Chances are, you're going to be able to find a lot more in the years to come. As the EU is systematically dismantled by the ST further and further by official canon.

17. XAeon

XAeon Jedi Master star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    I don't anticipate TFA any more than I anticipate taking a daily dump.

I know its going to happen.

Even after the Special Editions in the mid/late 90's, I didn't anticipate the PT.

I anticipated getting to know Darth Vader.
    Sadly, I didn't. Sadly, I won't.

C'est la vie.

No faith.
    Heart SW.

18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Speak for yourself. I was a fan back when he was just a TV writer/producer, but I expect less from television, and I've detested every movie he's made. I happen to think he's an awful, awful director, barely a notch above Michael Bay and frankly not fit to lick the bottom of George Lucas's shoes. If you love him that's cool, but I think he's bland, utterly derivative, and soulless. If TFA is more anticipated for me than TPM, it's only because I was more of a casual fan when that movie came out and it was what made me the fan I am today.

19. Violetsaber

Violetsaber Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Eh... that's hard to say. Sure, I was excited to see the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker, and I loved the idea of being able to see new Star Wars movies in the theater. But I was even more excited by the possibility of Lucas making the sequel trilogy after he was finished with the prequels. After seeing the prequel trilogy, though, I decided I'd be happier if Lucas just didn't touch Star Wars anymore.

So, having my childhood heroes on screen again, in brand new movies, led by a fresh director with a love of Star Wars who's already demonstrated excellent sci-fi action chops? I'd say I'm a little more excited for these than the prequels.

20. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I have a LEGO Rancor with a Gammorean Guard minifig in its mouth on my shelf

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really think anticipation levels are linked to expectation, experience level, and enthusiasm. Personally I went from very little to semi when Max was cast, to *none* whatever. The trailer doesn't excite me hardly a bit. Those it does, great. Glad for you. Yet, it is the negativity of the fandom that wearies me. I remain chiefly for the friends I have found and to appreciate the men and characters that yet speak to me. Otherwise with the end of the EU that made me a fan, there isn't much fire left.

22. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    For me personally I'd say yes. I was only seven when the Phantom Menace came out and I recall watching the prequel trilogy in the cinema and the OT on VHS but I wasn't as much of a fan then as I am now. I remember being really excited for Revenge of the Sith in 2005.

The OT is my favourite, has my favourite characters and I can't wait to see how the story continues.

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I personally am more excited because I'm older, and never, ever expected to get more Star Wars. We get to pick up from RoTJ with characters we love while meeting and following a new generation on their journey.

The prequels were fun and I was very excited for them as well (I was a freshman in high school when TPH was released), but this is something different altogether because with the prequels we new what the end game was and the movies were more or less gap-fillers, i.e., we knew that the chicken crossed the road but we didn't know why or how.

Here, we have no idea where anything is going, which IMO is closer to the anticipation for ANH-ROTJ. Nobody really knew who the heroes are/were and where their adventures will take them.

24. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I... I feel so sad now.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  25. burg2774

burg2774 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008

I have to agree. As a child of the late 70's and ealy 80's, the OT was my end all be all for movies, toys, comics, etc. I have always held out hope that someday those childhood heros would find their way back to the big screen despite the many proclamations by George that the Saga was complete. While I enjoyed the PT, especially the parts that fleshed out OT characters like Obi Wan and Yoda, in addition to Anakin's story, it still never completely satisfied the way the OT did. Maybe its just kid colored glasses again, but I can not stop coming to these boards and reading sites like MSW and SWU in anticpation of the ST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.