main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the sequel trilogy more anticipated than the prequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by hyperionprime, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I don't have any friends that are big EU fans, but from what I hear from EU fans on SW sites they will be probably not be happy with continuity of the ST. I think SW has always gone for broad base fans at the risk of alienating the specific fan bases.

2. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    What about Dawn of the Jedi?

Ryus and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Least they could do is keep the names of the key characters(like Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Ben Skywalker etc) and the Thrawn Trilogy and the Yuuzhan Vong as well as the Legacy comics. That's pretty much the only stuff from the EU I want. Everything else like Palpatine Reborn can go. That's some of the heavy lifting I'd do. Plus an enemy where not even Jedi could fully defeat like the Vong could really build anticipation well.

Ryus and Carbon1985 like this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Keep in mind that we're still two years away from Episode VII, so for the most part only the hardcore fans are really tuned in at the moment. I guarantee that when the trailers and promotion for Episode VII start heating up, a lot of people who aren't interested in it now will become interested.

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I'm talking about EU that came out before Episode I.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Exactly right. Assuming this all pans out as expected, Big 3 + ROTJ sequel + strong premise + Disney marketing = hype in overdrive. It'll be bigger than TPM.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How many people read the EU nowadays?

8. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Meh I was just a kid when the prequels came getting money from parents who believed sci fi films was nonsense was highly unlikely

9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    To the OP, well, I am on a SW fan forum website, I guess you could say I can't wait. I don't know about anyone else.

10. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    When they announced Arndt was coming aboard, my anticipation levele was on top of the world. From the Abrams announcement onward, though, I have become less and less excited for Episode VII. I like Abrams and all, and I like all the films he directed, but they're just movies in the end. They don't have the charm that the Star Wars films have.

Even though I criticize Episode II for being the weakest Star Wars film, it's still better than most of the crap Hollywood puts out, and it still holds the charm and imagination of George Lucas' storytelling. I am not convinced that the ST will have the magic that the PT films retains.

I do have hope, though. My main issues with JJ's Star Trek are with the plot holes and inconsistencies, which can be attributed to the writing. The Kurtzmann-Orci duo aren't even touching Star Wars, so that's a relief.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Dude, if they explore the Sith in detail in this trilogy, I don't see how it can lose. If I were JJ, this is the trilogy I would want to direct. It's time to geek out with the ST.

Ryus, Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Then, I certainly hope the entire trilogy is a deep psychological journey through the personal goals of a lone poetic Gonk Droid...

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Episode XII, perhaps?

14. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I'm reading EU! Just comics though.

I'm on the fence about picking up more Legacy comics(trade paperbacks/omnibuses) due to the ambiguous status of the canon(Should I pick more up or not? What do you think guys? Could use help here please). On one hand, I like Cade Skywalker's story and I've been interested in the series for a while and I figured I should enjoy them while the canon's still valid. On the other hand, it would suck immensely if we get official word that the EU is gone like Alderaan and they don't come cheap. Thoughts?

As well as that, I'm reading Brian Wood's run on Star Wars(just collecting the trade paperbacks) as well as Dawn of the Jedi(also by trade paperback) and also looking into picking up Knights of the Old Republic or any other complete omnibus sets. At least those eras are unlikely to be retconned.

Ryus and Immortiss like this.
  15. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Funny that you ask, I do! Here's an actual picture of my bookshelf:
    [​IMG]

What you will specifically notice is I have little to no books that take place AFTER ROTJ. I always had this fear that here would be films past ROTJ and that, that EU would be steamrolled...

I know that spin off films could destroy my EU, but that is the fear we live with. Keep in mind not everything in the EU is tossed out. It was Timothy Zahn that came up with he name "Coruscant" and it was used. The "501st" started out as a costuming group but was added to ROTS as Anakin's Clone Detachment.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Impressive! Most impressive!

Immortiss likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    HA NEEEERRRRRDS

KED12345 likes this.
  18. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Wow nice.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Also rather scary.

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That looks like my collection but I was a masochist and bought all the books after ROTJ. I also have the digital comics. I did not know that Zahn created the name of Coruscant. You learn something new every day.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't have an EU bookcase.

22. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    phatdude1138
    [​IMG]

Collect the EU stuff too, But i wish a had a rancor on my shelf :(

But for me the ST im more excited for, I always watched the OT when i was a kid didn't become a huge star wars fan until i got into EU books and games, a while after episode 1 came out, So really wasn't anticipating the PT much at the time. Thrawn trilogy got my started

23. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    I can't compete with that. Ever since my parents donated all my original SW figures while I was away at college, I've avoided collections...can't have my heart broken again. <sigh.>

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They donated your figures when you were away at college? Ouch... did they not think you were coming back? :p I don't have any of my original SW figures either... I have no idea where they went.

I own zero EU novels (the seven I've read were from the library). So the SW books on my bookcase are just some Visual Dictionaries, the original SW Encyclopedia, the Magic of Myth book, and the Annotated Screenplays (of the OT) book. So pics of the SW section of my bookcase would be pretty lame. My son has some SW books in his bookcase too.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have one shelf of EU books plus something like 20-30 novels on my Kindle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.