main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Visual Dictionary canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DARTH_ABBADON, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    Topic speaks for itself really.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Anything without an Infinities label is canon.

3. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    Oh I didn't know that! Thanks a bunch!

4. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    It really depends on who you talk to. IMO only the films are truely canon, but others believe differently, and LFL has said conflicting things. So I don't think that there's really a true answer we can give you.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Where has LFL made conflicting statements? The only statement they've made, which was made last August, is that anything without an Infinities label is canon.

6. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    I'm afraid I don't have any evidence to show, but I remember someone in LFL making a statement some time ago that contradicted that statement in August. And I'm sure that I've seen other people use it in those "EU is Cannon" wars.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    If you're referring to Steven Sansweet's quote on sw.com, you should realize that it doesn't conflict with the Gamer magazine quote one bit. Both quotes support each other.

8. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    Ok, whatever. I'm not going to turn this into a canon debate, so whatever you believe is fine with me. I have my idea of canon and you have yours and there's nothing that's going to change any of our opinions. :)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I'm fine with other people having different opinions, but I just like to make sure people have all their facts straight too.

10. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    The first time I asked this, I got flamed. I don't know why: What is "canon" anyway?

11. degobah1

degobah1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    i may sound like a dummy, but what does the infinities logo look like?

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    "Canon" is the undisputable truth.
    The Star Wars films are Star Wars canon. The EU can also be considered canon, since LFL has accepted it as part of Star Wars. As long as it doesn´t contradict the films, that is.
    However, if GL decides to contradict the EU in any of his films, the EU story that is being contradicted can no longer be considered canon. This is why I like to think of EU as an alternative Star Wars universe, where anything can happen!

13. Mortimer_Nerdly

Sep 19, 2002
    Lars_Muul:

As long as it doesn´t contradict the films, that is.
    However, if GL decides to contradict the EU in any of his films, the EU story that is being contradicted can no longer be considered canon.

What do you mean?

14. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I'm fine with other people having different opinions, but I just like to make sure people have all their facts straight too.

Mmmm yes. As long as those facts are in line with your opinions, eh?

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Mortimer_Nerdly: When an EU author writes a story, he/she must follow the continuity of the films and of all other EU stories in order to get his/her story published.
    So, you can say that the EU is canon, because it follows the continuity of the films. However, since GL is the creator of SW and has the final say, he can override the EU as he pleases. He doesn´t usually do this, but he CAN. IF he does, the story that gets overridden is no longer part of the SW continuity and can no longer be considered canon.

But when this happens, the overridden EU story will most likely be altered so that it does follow the SW continuity again. Cuz GL does not want a contradictive SW universe!

Did I make sense to you, Mort? :)

16. Mortimer_Nerdly

Sep 19, 2002
    Yes you did. Thank you very much. :)

Getting back to the original topic, I think the visual dictionary is canon. I believe everything it says. I've only read the OT Visual Dictionary though. Maybe they'll have a complete PT Visual Dictionary in 2005. Heck, the had the AOTC Visual dictioanry out before the movie itself was released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.