main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the writing on the wall? DJ SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ganner_rhysode, Feb 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    I just finished reading DJ and enjoyed it very much.

Now, a lot has been made of the more enlightened characterisation of Kyp Durron. I'll admit that before reading DJ I disliked Kyp a little but this book changed my perspective entirely and I found myself liking Kyp immensely.

Please don't drag this down into a continuity debate because there are enough of those.

I merely wish to ask your views on Kyp's
    future.

I fear for him now. Considering Jimmy was developed and then killed off does this change in attitude of Kyp, and the warming to him of a certain number of readers suggest the likely death of him in an upcoming book?

Given that Greg Keyes (Edit: thanks!) allegedly hinted at an unfortunate future for Mr. Durron this seems all the more likely.

For the record I sincerely hope it doesn't happen.

So...?

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I fear for him now. Considering Jimmy was developed and then killed off does this change in attitude of Kyp, and the warming to him of a certain number of readers suggest the likely death of him in an upcoming book?

I think this is a falacy that I hope doesn't come to pass and want people to be wrong, rather people seem to get it into their heads that once a character undergoes development, he or she is automatically earmarked for death. This is obviously not the case since most of our heroes are still alive.

Given that R A Salvatore allegedly hinted at an unfortunate future for Mr. Durron this seems all the more likely.

I thought that had been Greg Scott Keyes who had said that.

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    but hey, before VP was SOTP and VOTF, where Chewie was got rid of for whatever reason. We should be more scared for those who are fobbed out of a story :)

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Agh! I'm getting a little too intrigued by DJ thanks to peole like Ganner posting dead good topics! :)

Frigging book isn't out yet! But, back to the topic at hand:

Nope, Kyp won't be killed off yet. Perhaps in HB5, but not before. Luke notwithstanding redeemed darksiders in SW tend to get redemption in death. Thus we might see the deaths of Jaina and Kyp in the finale but not before, plus that depends on what Jaina does to merit redemption.

Jedi Ben

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think the more telling point of Kyp biting it in the next several books is NOT the character development, but rather Jaina's visions. Before she almost completed her journey down the dark path, her vision was her younger, scared, but able to fight and THAT'S when she killed Kyp. When she was "more dark," and yet to return to the light that's when Kyp killed her. I think that by changing Kyp's mind, by making him more amenable to Luke's suggestions, by making him want to help form a Jedi Council, that she's fundamentally altered his way of thinking in some way that will get him killed later on. Hence, Jaina being the death of him figuratively rather than literally.

6. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I just pretend Kyp is dead, hes really such a jerk.

7. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "Before she almost completed her journey down the dark path, her vision was her younger, scared, but able to fight and THAT'S when she killed Kyp"

She kills Jacen, not Kyp. Kyp's face is inside her discarded helmet.

"The visor (of her helmet) opened of its own accord. Startled, she dropped the helmet and watched it roll slowly toward Jacen. It stopped, and Kyp Durron's face gazed out at her...

Now, I have no idea what Kyp's face in the helmet means, but I suspect its just because he his standing in front of her and is trying to wake her up.

"When she was "more dark," and yet to return to the light that's when Kyp killed her"

Kyp doesn't kill her at all in the second vision. He fades away, and her opponent becomes Kahlee Lah. "Kyp faded away, and her opponent took on Kahlee Lah's face and form." Eventually, Kyp's voice returns and brings her out of her dream completely.

I find it incredibly interesting that when Jacen and Jaina fight, Jacen is overcome by Jaina's dark power and is killed, but when Kyp fights her, he is filled with light and she can't beat him.

8. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Now, I have no idea what Kyp's face in the helmet means

He is her father! :)

9. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Oh geez...

10. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Reaper Fett, your a riot!

I think that seeing Kyp's face in her visor means that she is becoming more like him. Going down a dark path and then finding her way out.

I too worry about Kyp's future. He was the point of aggitation in the NJO. I fear that now that he has begun to see his errors and return to the light, he may be expendable to the EU. I'm hoping that everyone just misintterpreted Keyes comment about Kyp. He said in response to a question from a reader about his betrayal in Rebirth, "Unfortunatley, I know what happens to Kyp." That could mean other things besides death. Afterall, I can't imagine a respectable EU writer giving away a hint of things to come.

11. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    troy denning said that kyp was lucky to survive sbs... i think he will actually die before the end of the njo, which is sad, because although i hate the guy, he provides a good foil for luke... you need both sides...

12. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    When Denning said that Kyp was a lucky man, he was refering to a question about his freedom as a writer in the NJO series in which he was asked if there were things that he wanted to do that he could not. What he said was "As for things I wasn't allowed to do, well lets just say that Kyp Durron is a very lucky man." That does not mean that he will die by the end of the NJO. It just means that Denning didn't like Kyp's character (read Kadue's interview thread on this board for more info on his feelings about Kyp) and wanted to kill him. I'm hoping that the fact that he was not allowed to do so means that Kyp will survive the NJO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.