main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is their a general consensus on what is the definitive DVD collection of the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-hope, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-hope

Obi-hope Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2013
    Father's day is coming up soon and my father is a star wars fan so I wanted to buy him the original trilogy on DVD.

2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well the definitive versions are the 2006 releases which include the 2004 and theatrical cuts of each movies. They are hard to find, and near impossible to find in a boxset.

3. Obi-hope

Obi-hope Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2013
    Is there a picture of what the box set looks like?

4. Beru'sBlueMilk

Beru'sBlueMilk Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2013
    Were they ever released as a complete boxset? When they were originally released all the stores I know (online and high st) sold them individually, I've never actually saw them packaged as one complete set. (I could be so wrong) but if possible and you find them, go for it because at least you get the choice of the original and SE depending on your preference. No extras though except standard commentaries on the SEs (the original theatrical cuts are deemed as extras too).

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

THIS is the boxset of those two-disc OT DVDs.

6. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    And these are the three DVD boxes by themselves:
    [​IMG]
    The 2004 special editions are on disc 1 for each and the original 1977-1983 theatrical versions are on disc 2 on each. I still have mine, never letting them go. :)

Darth Dnej and Giovs like this.
  7. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013

I have them too. Those covers are great aren't they? I just love the montage they did for the release, it's better than the original dvd boxset.

SlashMan likes this.
  8. RogueZero

Mar 17, 2009
    Yeah I love those covers, really a whole lot better than the 2004 DVD box set covers! Those looked...meh

Darth Dnej and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's really impressive how they tried to re-create the original theatrical posters with actual pictures from the film.

The original DVD for A New Hope was fine, but not having Luke, Han, or Leia at all on the cover of Empire was a bit baffling (make way for Boba Fett).

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    There is no definitive DVD collection, as far as I'm concerned. It's all about what you or anyone else prefers.

11. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Those covers are AWFUL. I can't believe they turned beautiful original paintings into a photoshop disaster. The paintings already existed, why the hell would you try to emulate that with pictures?! It' such a dumb idea.

If you want to have new covers or "artwork", then do something new. Use pictures and photoshop, why not! That's not the issue. But this is such an aberration . . it actually simbolizes how out of place the new effects and additions are.

There is a definitive "original" version and that's whatever the latest version is out there. Adding nonsensical changes has become a Lucas tradition.

I loved Star Wars for years before the special edition. Even as a 12 year old kid, I cringed with the new effects on the special editions, they are SO out of place.

For me, it's the original theatrical release all the way. Maybe with A New Hope I could go for the 81 version just for the change in the crawl. Before the prequels and before the internet, speculating about why the hell it all tarted at episode IV was tons of fun.

RogueZero likes this.
  12. RogueZero

Mar 17, 2009
    I like those covers. But I do agree, it would have been better if they used to original paintings instead. Like the ones on the VHS tapes and some of the Laserdiscs:

[​IMG]

SlashMan likes this.
  13. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Now that, sir, is beautiful.

I love how it just has the title of the movie and nothing else. Why would you insert more text? It's Star Wars!

14. Beru'sBlueMilk

Beru'sBlueMilk Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2013
    I couldn't agree more, these covers are just gorgeous, simple and to the point, so much better than the photoshopped rubbish that passes for covers these days.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I still have the 1995 VHS box set but that's probably hard as hell to find now.

I'd say the 2004 DVDs.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Those are the pictures that are on the Discs of the 2004 releases

17. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I have this set from 1992. Are these tough to come by? I wouldn't take a million bucks for mine; it was a gift from my late father.

[​IMG]

_Catherine_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.