Is there a active Chapter Rep for your FF?

Discussion in 'Detroit, MI' started by echo-3, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hi guys, Im trying to get all the boards I am responsible for to give me a current list of Chapter Reps and any other official's in said FF. Please either PM me or post here if you can help.
    Thanks a lot
    Regards
    Eric
  2. G-Grievous Jedi Padawan

I am not sure what is going on with the Detroit chapter, but I would like to join them. If it is no longer active, I have enough people in my group to start a Michigan chapter. Could you please advise me and let me know who to contact in the Detroit chapter? Thanks so much, Greg
  3. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I believe the current Chapter Rep is Qonas....but I cannot be sure.
  4. Neutron_Force_45 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Greg, I'd love to join the group (Michigan charter).....I'll be moving out of state June 2010(after the school year)....but will do all that I can to help get the group established. Just let me know. :)
  5. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Can anyone confirm your chapter has one?
    I am just trying to fix dead links and make sure people that have questions can PM the wright person.
    Thanks
    Eric
  6. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    The "current" chapter rep is BlastyTrooper, I am simply co-chapter rep which is basically second-in-command if you will. I am not sure if Blasty checks these boards anymore, so you can address any PM to me.

The group is still active, although not as much as in the heady days from the announcement of the prequels until the release of Episode 3. We actually just met last Saturday. We use other means of communication beside the board provided here, however; hence the appearance of an inactive group.

Our main issue has been recruitment. In point of fact, nearly every member of R2-Detroit either was or has become a member of the Great Lakes Garrison of the 501st Legion. Since nearly everyone in the group was already meeting and participating and interacting within the confines of the 501st, R2-Detroit-specific events and meetings were eventually phased out. Any charity event or book signing or other event that we would coordinate as R2-Detroit would inevitably end up requiring costumers, meaning it required cooperation with the 501st. Non-501st Legion costuming can not be approved or used to represent LucasArts/Star Wars for official events, as you all well know. And those of us who would end up costuming would just join the 501st anyways. So membership and eventually event coordination just ended up with the 501st. R2-Detroit has essentially become the non-costuming pool for the 501st. Again, there have been recruitment pushes but every new member recruited has almost immediately joined the 501st. So, while R2-Detroit is still active, we meet MUCH much less than before (and those meetings are mostly entirely social as any Star Wars discussions have taken place on/during 501st time) and operate pretty informally though some of us still retain our old titles

Greg, you are more than welcome to start a second fan force group in the area but it would not be R2-Detroit and I would request you choose a city other than Detroit to be based out of. Thanks.
  7. mercsailor Force Ghost

star 2
    Sorry to butt in, but you say you're having Recruitment problems.. And yet, you have this great recruitment tool right here, and you admit that you don't use it. You have people who would come to this board, but there's nothing here to make them think that there is an functioning group. There's no way someone who came to these boards, that say right on them R2-Detroit, how to even contact the group or become involved.

Why does this bother me? Probably because I had a very good experiance being a member of R2-Detroit, and I was NOT a costumer. If I were to move back up to Detroit today, I would have no way of finding this group that I enjoyed so much being a part of. Yes, I did notice at the time most people were members of the 501st and Rebel Legion, but I still found ways to participate and have a good time, even at the joint events. So I know first hand that you don't have to be a member of the 501st or RL to be a good SW Fan.

So.. basically all I'm saying is.. if you want new members, make sure people can find you. And don't discount us because we don't have a costume.

ETA: Sorry for coming off so crappy sounding. It really bothers me that these boards have gotten so quiet because I wouldn't have gotten involved in the larger Star Wars fan community if it weren't for R2Detroit. And I would never have know about R2Detroit if it weren't for FanForce. So, I do kinda take it a little personally. I am glad to know that you're not completely disfunct. -Diana
  8. Dunc T'racen Force Ghost

star 3
    I am still here - and I have no interest in costuming at all. I never got to a meeting due to my work schedule, and by the time I could, this group looked belly-up. Just abandoning this seems kind of self-defeating... I hope that can be overcome, and if there are enough fans willing to make that happen I'd be happy to participate.
  9. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Why start a new one? It appears you havde at least the beginning of a group.
  10. CTATigger Jedi Knight

star 1
    Most of the folks who were involved in R2Detroit either got so involved in the costuming segment--501st and Rebel Legion stuff, or moved, or just stopped showing up.
    The last time we attempted to have an official meeting at a bookstore, three of us showed up--Qonas, my husband and myself.
    What we need are people willing to show up at least once a month if we want to re-activate R2-Detroit.
    It was difficult to find a meeting time and place everyone could make.
    Any suggestions?
    My husband and I have offered our house as a meeting place in the past and would still be willing to do so.
    We really enjoyed the socializing--watching movies, tv shows together, playing board games, going out to movies/restaurants together, etc....
    ~Christine
  11. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Guys, If I can be of any help,Any help at all Let me know. I will be happy to do anything I can.
    Eric
  12. mercsailor Force Ghost

star 2
    Dunc T'racen is good people.. we go way back..

I'll totally be a cheerleader for you guys.. cause seriously, I <3 R2Detroit. I think going to the Corn Maze still ranks as one of my all time fun fall outings.
  13. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    Woohoo! Activity!!! :p I didn't get to the corn maze, just waited back at the theatre, but hearing all about it was funny enough. :p

Very true. I guess this would also be an apathy problem on our part as well. With the numbers dwindling and meetings cut back, we just started posting here less and less; especially as we kept in contact via other methods (phone, Facebook, etc).

Now, I never once said you need to be in the 501st to be a "good SW fan". And I of course don't agree with that. It's just the majority of our membership is very passionate about Star Wars, which naturally led them to costume. And as their time focused on costuming/501st took up more of their schedule, there was less and less time for non-costuming SW fun such as what we'd have with R2. Now it was most definitely a lapse on those of us left's part to not continue posting and show some kind of Detroit presence here on the boards.

Nah, don't worry about it. This is constructive, heh, if we want R2 to keep going and eventually thrive again we're going to have to talk tough. It's good to hear some voices and passion about the group again. :D

We won't be abandoning it, and we hadn't before. Posting here just fell to the wayside as official meetings and etc were cut back a bit due to schedules and lack of membership.

This was the crux right here. Schedules really kicked in and kept people from showing up to official functions, leaving "meetings" to basically be social gatherings when we could get them together.

14. c3500BC Jedi Knight

It's been a while for me,but depending on when and where they were held,I might be able to make it to a meeting.

I used to post here years ago as Idgie,but my login information got lost when I changed my e-mail address some time ago.
  15. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    THANKS Qonas for contacting me. It is so good to see this FF is up and running. If you guys want to change your board look PM and well get it moving too.
    BEST regards to Detroit!

Eric
  16. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    A lot of this is my fault. I canceled the Web site (I just couldn't justify the expense and the number of visitors was minimal) and I haven't been on these boards in months.

It is great to see that people are interested in continuing the group. Mike already answered the questions as to why the group stopped meeting regularly, so I don't need to echo his response.

Meetings are going to be difficult for me, no matter where they are, because of my never-ending back problems. I would be happy to have Mike take over as full CR for the group, if he's interested. Todd and Christine have been so generous in allowing us to invade their home for movies, games and fun. It would be great to get things going again, if not in person (like Mike said, finding a place and time is really difficult), then at least on the forums!

Mercsailor, I believe you tackled me at that corn maze. [face_laugh]
  17. mercsailor Force Ghost

star 2
    I believe that is entirely possible =)
  18. CPL_Macja Force Ghost

star 5
    Evening R2Detroiters!

I am an active member of the EUC, RPF, FanFics, and WNU. However some of my first posts were in this very forum. I stopped posting here because I thought it was dead and on the verge of closing down. Therefore I turned my attentions elsewhere.

I would love to be more active in a group nearwhere I live (Macomb County), but I seem to have little or no time between work, school, family, and community service events.

If I knew that there were group meetings that I might be able to attend in between my otherwise busy schedule.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is... if this was a more proactive forum and reached out to detroiters in other threads then things might pick up a little bit.

just my two cents worth.
  19. c3500BC Jedi Knight

I generally don't like to give 'yes and no' answers,but at least from my perspective,the answer to your question seems to be just that,yes and no.Yes,the forum does seem to be more active recently,but that is really something that people have to be proactive about on their own.If anyone wants to post something,then they should feel free to do so.It's already been established that one does not need to be a member to do so(I'm not),but no one can rightfully admonish a lack of posts if they don't contribute posts.That comment was not directed at anyone in particular,but more or less as a general commentary.

The 'no' part of the answer would seem to be the apparent lack of activity outside the boards.I think that there is enough going on in the SW world right now that it seems like the group could be made viable again.The interest certainly seems to be there.Maybe there are issues/circumstances preventing this that I/we are just not aware of,that is always possible,but from an outsider's perspective it seem like an opportunity is being wasted,or at least not being taken advantage of.Not trying to flame or to start an argument,though,so feel free to disregard the point.
  20. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    These boards have been picking up because of C5. There wasn't going to be much activity around C4, since it was highly doubtful anyone was going to be able to get to California, but Orlando's very do-able. Outside of that, though, R2-Detroit's historically had an issue with leadership. We were never a group that had a strong authority figure, or that had anyone to step up and make decisions. We have been very democratic and group-oriented. Which of course ends up being a slight problem as well, because we've also been notorious for a chorus of "I dunno" and "Whatever works" when it comes to making decisions. :p So with the Star Wars movies coming to a close, it was going to be a bit difficult to keep things running as for all the extras, Star Wars were the movies. You then throw on top of it the activity that the 501st/Rebel Legion contains (Michigan's garrison is the 3rd most productive in the world), which will naturally take away from the fan force as they are by their nature able to do more events and be much more community-oriented, as well as the fact we've never historically had roots in the TFN boards and the group here is going to slowly taper off. And then you also have this:

This is truly the biggest issue keeping R2-Detroit from being what they once were. The Detroit-metro area is one large area, and as such it is incredibly difficult to find a good central location that is fair for everyone to drive to. We had a good place in Novi, but a lot of our membership live a good deal away from there. And unfortunately it's now the 00s/10's, where gas is kind of an issue. This is all even before taking into account the fact we all work, we all have busy schedules, and it is tough to find a common date each month to work as a good meeting time. Hell I'm functionally unemployed, and my calender is still taken up lots of times. Trying to get a bead on a day or time that everyone all together has free is a hard thing to nail down.

Most of the membership historically have not visited the other forums on this board. I have, but I have found that a lot of times the other forums are 'clique'ish. It has been hard to try and establish oneself as a contributing presence, and I gave up on that a while back. My own personality is simply incompatible with the majority on these boards.

Another issue is, Michigan does not have a strong presence here or on the Internet in general. Due to the very nature of the Internet the states/countries with the highest populations are going to be the ones most represented. There are loads of East/West Coasters, and relatively few from the Midwest or Great Plains. Attempting to recruit new members from the TFN boards would be like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack.

There was a lot of people being tackled in that corn maze, just ask Huttese and Robert. :p
  21. huttese1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Played football and basketball all through high school and (rec) basketball throughout college. That hit I took from Robert was one of the hardest I've ever taken. That boy is country strong. ... Great night, though.
  22. c3500BC Jedi Knight

Bumping this up.Any more thoughts/ideas/interest about this? [face_thinking]

23. rocksoldier Chapter Rep: Detroit, MI

Chapter Rep
    star 1
    I have read through this thread, and I saw a lot of excuses, and ideas about what is wrong, but nobody actually doing anything about it.

There were several people saying how they would like to become active again (or for me, for the first time), then months and months go by before there is even another message by the people who are supposed to be running things. and there are other people out there who love Star Wars, but you have to make it known that you here. I have lived in SE Michigan my entire life (36 years), and been a big Star Wars fan for most of the time, and it took me having to actively search for some local Star Wars related club recently to find this forum, and see that this chapter even existed.

Looking at this from the outside, like I am, it looks like there is interest, but no leadership, no organization, and no effort to find other people. hell, there were 34,000 at Celebration IV, and your telling me there isn't more than 5-6 people interested in the entire metro Detroit area?

If it takes a complete wiping of the slate and starting over with people who are interested, and able to run things, then why not?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off kind of harsh, but this is what I see from what I have read here.

Just my 2 cents (or Republic Credits in this case).

24. c3500BC Jedi Knight

Just a thought,but I see that the Pontiac Silverdome drive-in is up and running again.Obviously,they're not showing SW movies,but it could potentially be an idea for an activity this summer.

25. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    Rocksoldier, wipe away and get things going, then!

There is no way I can organize my husband (who is at a Star Wars costuming event in Grand Rapids right now with Qonas) and friends to agree on a time and place. The fact that we have just one car, my husband has a very busy event schedule (and works afternoons), and I have a serious back problem may be excuses to you, but they are just simple reality to me. I haven't been able to attend important things like family holidays or graduations due to my back problem, nor have I been able to attend simple things like game nights. It sucks. A lot. I wish it was different. I wish we could all get together once a month like we did in 2002ish-2005ish, with other events scheduled periodically throughout the year. Life happened in a big way. A lot of people stopped coming to the meetings. The only time to get together with other fans ended up being costuming events, things that we had to search out, advertise and were often 2 of 2 at those events until they really gained steam and we had more costumers willing to wear their super-accurate costumes more than once or twice a year.

No one is saying you can't get people together, that you can't post about a place/time and meet up with others. No one is tying your hands. Go, try to find people to meet up. Find a place for them to meet up. Find a date that works for everyone. Find a time that works for everyone. Do that with an area comprised of 5 counties spread across the "metro-Detroit" area. Take the advice of Yoda, "do or do not, there is no try."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.