'is there a difference between you & your pen name' personality wise?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by AERYN_SUN, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    this may sound crazy or completely out there, but 'is there a difference between you & your pen name' personality wise?
  2. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Scary as it sounds, not really. Only the differences between how I act at work and school and how I act with my friends.
  3. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm...well really I'm more free to be myself here. So I would say yes, probably.
  4. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    it's funny because when i saw aotc (imax version), almost the entire time i was thinking about this wrote i started to write a year ago and what i could do to change the aotc's current storyline to fit my own.

i stil enjoyed the movie, but i was thinking a lot about that fanfiction and what i could do.
  5. FELICIA_ZEZILI Jedi Knight

star 3
    There is a big difference between myself and Felicia. I'm generally a quiet outcast that prefers to stay in the back ground but Felicia likes being the center of attention and she makes me write the bad things. I'm just the host to her insanity!

6. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Same here, Feli! Emmi always seems to take over my quietness here...

EDIT: I'm always thinking about fanfic when I watch a SW movie, Aeryn! When I watch the prequels, I usually think What would Luke think if he saw this? or How would Leia react to that?

When I'm watching an OT movie, I usually think about What would happen if that person survived? or How is that going to affect a certain EU character?

That's actually how my story Landslide was born. It's all about what might happen if Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru came back into Luke's life after he became a Jedi.
  7. Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Master

star 4
    I get inspired to write more fanfic when I watch movies. Always thinking, always on the move.

But Satine is much more social here because people don't know Jackie likes Star Wars this much. Satine has next to no secrets from her friends here.
  8. Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Master

star 4
    There really is no difference. I'm just as weird in RL as I am online.
  9. Sophita Jedi Master

star 4
    I find I'm much more of a perfectionist than I am in real life.
  10. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    LOL, Kades.. why doesn't that surprise me? ;)

hmm... I think I'm more reserved when I'm online and chatting with other authors. I'm way too crazy in real life when I'm with my friends.
  11. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    There's some similarities and some differences. I don't sabotage my co-workers' buses, and I don't beat up on hapless outlanders who throw food into my pea soup. But I am introverted because I've been put upon so much by others. And when I'm driving down Rt. 128 through Massachusetts... 'nuff said. [face_devil]
  12. Qwi_Xux Force Ghost

star 4
    There's really not any difference between myself and my pen name...I am my penname. 'Qwi' acts just the same as Laura does. And everyone knows about my love of SW. My family knows I write SW, and my son (due in three months) is going to be named Anakin. 8-} But I'm the same crazy, babbling person online as I am in person. ;)
  13. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, Arwen is the same as me. I consider Arwen to be myself, because she is. It's Kate who's writing what Arwen says, it's Kate who writes Arwen's fanfics and it's Kate who reacts to the situation that Arwen is put into

So, in my opinon, there is really no difference. Yes that means that I am equally as insane on the boards as in RL [face_devil]
  14. inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, Inez is my true middle name...

Hhhmmm...I'd say that Inez is the "real" me that I've always wanted to be. Inez is really no different than Marguerite. However, just like a middle name, Inez is always there, but rarely seen.

Online, I can be more outgoing and not be shy about what others will think. There is a certain freedom in anonimity.

Inez
  15. Deneveon Force Ghost

star 4
    I dunno. I guess my online personalities are more outgoing than I am in RL. Or was, at least. I've sort of grown into Deneveon, as of late...
  16. NikeSkylark Jedi Master

star 4
    nope, the only difference between my pen name and me is the name. i only use a different name coz i hate my real name

~NiKe, DaRK LaDy oF THe SiTH~
  17. Arldetta Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I have two pen names and I think that actally suits me. I find my personality to sway with my mood. At points I try to be more realistic and demand more of myself and at other times I'm caught up in the fantasy and creative art world which I enjoy so much.

Arldetta is more me because I created her for an original work. Although I'm not entirely one to be 'Mary-sue-ish' I know that Ari has most of my stubborn and insecure qualities. I use Ari to make the SW galaxy real. I try to bring emotions and realism to their universe so that you would believe they exist. I do a bit of research to do so, which always cracks me up because I always HATED research papers.

Knight_MysAri is my fun/crazy side. Much more eager to risk everything for a whim than Ari is. Although, MysAri comes from two stage/pen names already. Mystie was my stage name and Arldetta. MysAri is also my more sarcastic side as well. I use Mystie be a little more lyrical in my writing.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that's the best I can put into writing. I do want to say that in general, their character personas are different than myself but as pennames, very much like me. The only other comment I would like to make is that personally, I'm a bit more shy. I try not to expose myself to disappointment and rejection, but here with my 'pennames' I've become more daring. With every post I invite not only people to tell me what they think but permit them to enter a bit of my mind and being.

The first time I ever posted anything online I felt very 'naked'. Like I had just entered a huge auditorium with a spotlight trained on me while I was completely unclothed. But with each post I am getting more comfortable with that exposure and am now inviting people to tell me everything, not just what they like but what they don't like as well. In the real world, only a few people know of my fanfic life. And I feel weird discussing it with anyone.

Um, I don't know if that was what you were looking for and sorry I wrote so much. But are you like Aeryn?? She's a confused woman. Not sure whether or not to go with her feelings and has a tough exterior. Do you model yourself after her or do you see yourself as a kindred spirit that she personifies?
  18. Darth_Tim Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm...well, if you mean exceedingly verbose, enjoying a good debate, and having a notorious tendency to ramble on, then yes.

I'm far more of a shameless flirt here than in RL though. LOL.

-Tim
  19. inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Master

star 4
    In the real world, only a few people know of my fanfic life. And I feel weird discussing it with anyone.

That's so true Arldetta. My fanfic is a personal thing, a creative outlet for myself and no one else. Posting it here doesn't interfere, however, because of the anonimity. :)

inez
  20. Arldetta Jedi Master

star 4
    Inez,

I have often felt an admiration for all the fan fic authors out there. From my own perspective, my writing has so much of myself poured into it that I will always worry about whether or not people like it. Because we all have that inherant need to want to be 'loved.'

Here on the internet, we have finally found a medium where we can allow our thoughts and ideas to be conveyed without the pretense of being judged before we could utter a word. Here there is no race, colour, weight, height, or any other betrayal of our outer apprearence to stop our voice from being heard.

I admire all those who are and have been willing to put themselves on the line for judgement. And this is actually the hardest type of judgement because of our anonimity. Without the prejudices that are already placed on us in the real world, we can only judge each other by what we read. And like I said before, since I put so much of myself into my writing, I'm really being judge for who I am.

I guess that is also why I feel weird discussing it with others in my real life. They already know me in some sense but they don't truely know me. We interact with people differently, and we can usually only find a few poeple whom we feel 'safe' with. But here, we might not feel completely 'safe' but at least we know we're not alone.

Well, thanks for letting me know, I'm not alone. ;) Have fun and keep writing. :D
  21. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    wow, i didn't know this would get such a response :D

well, everywhere else on the web, i'm obi's girl. but on the boards here i'm aeryn_sun. as aeryn_sun, i tend to voice my opinion more, even if i'm wrong. obi's girl always keeps to herself, (in real life, i'm actually very shy when i first meet people, but usually after awhile, i warm up to them and you can never shut me up :D

one quality that both aeryn_sun and obi's girl share is that they're both big perfectionists as i am.

22. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Well, people must think that I'm a Sithly Windbag by now....
  23. Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Master

star 4
    hmmm...well, I have 2 s/n on here and both represent me. TheEmoKid is when I try to hide from people cuz I'm shy and I don't trust my own opinions. Comedy Kitty is also my stage name for when i do stand up so...it's the funner/crazier side of me...that writes angst. Me as myself, Jessica, is EmoKid and MCK combinded. But, then again I'm bipolar so i'm realy messed up... :p
  24. JediKlea Jedi Master

star 3
    I tend to be a bit more reserved on the web...In reall life I am alot more likley to join discussions ect. On the web I enjoy more listening to other peoples points of view...
    I also feel more comfterble tossing ideas around on the boards then I do in reall life, people are a lot more receptive.
  25. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    JediKlea, i am the exact opposite. i tend to be more shy and conservative but on the boards, i tend to speak my mind more.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.