main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Is there a moral basis for assassinations?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well Putin isn't doing anything to us, so why would we go after him? I'll assume that Putin isn't a good example, so let's try Osama bin Laden. If we take out OBL (which we did), what's to stop the rest of Al-Qaeda from going after Obama? Well, nothing...in fact they seem to be trying to do just that. Where does it stop? When the war on terror ends. I know, for a long time it looked like there would be no end to the war on terror, but with the onset of the Arab Spring there's hope for Middle Easterners to join a normal political process rather than turning to radicalization. And we see that in how Al-Qaeda had no appeal whatsoever to the protesters in Egypt, so the hope is that radical groups will eventually fade away and die out.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Atlantic has a new piece based on the report I provided a link to here last week.

'Every Person Is Afraid of the Drones': The Strikes' Effect on Life in Pakistan

This story will keep getting bigger. Obama is likely to get a drone question at the debates.

3. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Putin was just a theoritical example. You are far more optimistic about the war on terrorism ending than I am. The attacks on the Consulate in Benghazi look to have been planned by Al-Qaeda. I, personally, would love to see the radical elements in Egypt and Saudi Arabia disappear, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. I fear a backlash like what happened to Anwar Sadat.

Jabba: Very interesting article. Is it no wonder the Pakistanis dislike us? I'd like to see Obama articulate why this administration continues to use drone attacks in Pakistan, but I don't think it will be brought up.