main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there a partisan or ideological bias in the United States media?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by liberalmaverick, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Not really, if those are the only things he said then he did not offer the one thing that matters: proof.

2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    And CBS, USA Today, etc. had proof?

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well I'm sure they had a bit more proof than that article gave, or that Tony Snowjob gave.

4. DeathStar1977

DeathStar1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    J-Rod

I hope you see the irony in trying to prove bias by using right-wing sources such as Drudge and the Washington Examiner.

And for more irony, here's a Media Matters article on the prescription drug coverage issue:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200605110007

Either way, I'd be more interested in reading the articles themselves to determine if they are accurate, had some errors, or are part of that grand liberal conspiracy to give conservatives no voice in any form of media.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Murdoch's apparent endorsement of a liberal candidate such as Hilary Clinton is nothing new. He has supported Tony Blair, a Labour Prime Minister, through two elections.

6. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Well, the liberal media is at it again.

But hey, I'm sure it's just (yet) another mistake.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Haha...I like that. Maybe he'll pick his nose again.

How can you blame this on any sort of ideology? o_O Maybe CNN likes schadenfreude.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That or some of their people behind the camera are just inept [face_monkey]

Nah, it's easier to say "zomg teh librulz!1!!1!" [face_flag] It's all a conspiracy....big time ;)

9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Alright, if you wanna keep using that excuse.

So what do you think of the NSA phone number collecting "story?" Suddenly most of the companies, such as Bellsouth, Quest, ect. are saying that not only didn't they give out any info but that they were never asked for it in the first place!

Could this be another made up story such as the Gitmo Koran abuse "story" or the Bush memo "story?" I'll bet it is.

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    And you'd still have a hard time proving any sort of bias, J-Rod. Sheesh, you're worse than Hillary Clinton and her 'RIGHT WING CONSPIRACEEEEEE!" Not every thing that's done by the media is a ploy to harm GWB or Republicans.

BTW, here's more liburlle conspiraceeeee!

Oh wait, he broke the law. But it's still dem der liburlles makin' stooreees up.

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Well, you don't see any fake stories that help the republicans, do ya? You don't think it's kinda incredible that these "mistakes" and false stories are all making the Republicans look bad. Where are the "mistakes" that harm the Democrats?

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, you don't see any fake stories that help the republicans, do ya? You don't think it's kinda incredible that these "mistakes" and false stories are all making the Republicans look bad. Where are the "mistakes" that harm the Democrats?

If Republicans look bad they don't need help from the media in doing so. They look bad on their own. The media just makes their wrongness more apparent.

How about the 'Rats' campaign ad? No, the GOP jams phone lines when they don't want Democrats to win.

13. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    If Republicans look bad they don't need help from the media in doing so. They look bad on their own. The media just makes their wrongness more apparent.

If that were true the media wouldn't have to make up so many false stories to make the Republicans look bad.

How about the 'Rats' campaign ad? No, the GOP jams phone lines when they don't want Democrats to win.

Sure he broke the law. But unlike Gore and his illegal Chinese campaign contribution, Tobin's going to jail. And he should...right next to Gore.

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    If that were true the media wouldn't have to make up so many false stories to make the Republicans look bad.

You've not proven that any stories have been made-up. Distorted, possibly, but made-up? Highly unlikely.

Sure he broke the law. But unlike Gore and his illegal Chinese campaign contribution, Tobin's going to jail. And he should...right next to Gore.

Tobin's going to jail because they proved beyond a shadow of doubt he broke the law. No so much with Gore, IIRC. It was a bit of a dodgey issue from what I remember. Don't even talk about contributions being illegal. Our current president has had his own contributions from shadey characters.

15. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    You've not proven that any stories have been made-up. Distorted, possibly, but made-up? Highly unlikely.

No. The Bush memos were completely made up. Nothing real about 'em. The same holds true for the Koran "abuse" at Gitmo.

Tobin's going to jail because they proved beyond a shadow of doubt he broke the law. No so much with Gore, IIRC.

If memory serves, he had to give back the illicit contributions and that was all.

16. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    No. The Bush memos were completely made up. Nothing real about 'em. The same holds true for the Koran "abuse" at Gitmo.

Yes, the infamous Bush memos. You know, I have a hard time believing that those were fake. Not out of any desire for GWB to be proven to be a draft dodger (which he is). But because it took too much work to put something like that together. If you're going to make a fake document you should have someone working on the historical aspects of it. If any web logger can point out they're fake then you've done a lousy job. It makes no sense to put so much effort into something like that only to have it blown up in your face by some hack web logger. So, while those memos were 'fake' or whatever (no-one will prove it conclusively since it was buried). I do believe that such memos could exist.

As for the Gitmo story that was due to sensationalistic reporting and a bit of truth mixed in. However, that in and of itself isn't bias. And neither were the memos. If your source is shady then your reporting will be as well.

If memory serves, he had to give back the illicit contributions and that was all.

GWB? Of course, he gave up a thousand out of a much larger sum. [face_laugh] Yeah, he really gave that contribution back.

17. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    As for the Gitmo story that was due to sensationalistic reporting and a bit of truth mixed in. However, that in and of itself isn't bias. And neither were the memos. If your source is shady then your reporting will be as well.

My point: Where are the "sensationalist" stories that make the Dems look bad?

Then there's the fact that you still believe stories that have been proven false.

Liberal media:"My work here is done."

GWB? Of course, he gave up a thousand out of a much larger sum. Yeah, he really gave that contribution back.

I don't remember any stories about illegal Bush contributions. Refresh my memory.

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    My point: Where are the "sensationalist" stories that make the Dems look bad?

Well Ted Kennedy still gets harassed for incidents from years ago.

Then there's the fact that you still believe stories that have been proven false.

And you still ignored my reasoning behind it. Bravo, J-Rod. You sure did prove your point.

Liberal media:"My work here is done."

Conservative media: "Uhhh....LIBURRRLLLLEEE!"

See? I play that game as well.

I don't remember any stories about illegal Bush contributions. Refresh my memory

Jack Abramoff (sp?).

BTW, J-Rod. If you'd bothered to read my whole paragraph I specifically stated that those memos could be false but there could still be actual memos out there that contained similar info. See, I read all of your replies, even if I do feel they're ridiculous.

19. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Well Ted Kennedy still gets harassed for incidents from years ago.

Sure. He was never prosecuted for manslaughter. He crashed his car into a river, went home and went to sleep, then called the authorities the next day. His passenger was still in the car.

And you still ignored my reasoning behind it. Bravo, J-Rod. You sure did prove your point.

Because all your points were addressed in the aftermath of memogate. Nothing really is left to say.

Jack Abramoff (sp?).

Dems and Republicans were caught up in that scandel. And Bush's part in it was overblown. The discovery that it was overblown was...well..underblown.

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Sure. He was never prosecuted for manslaughter. He crashed his car into a river, went home and went to sleep, then called the authorities the next day.

Exactly, but he's still harassed for it. And the media did report it. ;) As well as Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

Because all your points were addressed in the aftermath of memogate. Nothing really is left to say.

See, you didn't read it.

Dems and Republicans were caught up in that scandel. And Bush's part in it was overblown. The discovery that it was overblown was...well..underblown.

However, GWB was given a large sum of money from him and only 'gave' a thousand dollars of it back.

21. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Why did Burkett tell CBS News something he now says is not true? CBS News put the question to him.

Dan Rather: "Why did you mislead us?"

Bill Burkett: "Well, I didn't totally mislead you. I did mislead you on the one individual. You know, your staff pressured me to a point to reveal that source.

Rather: "Well, we were trying to get the chain of possession."

Burkett: "I understand that."

Rather: "And you said that you had received them from someone."

Burkett: "I understand that."

Rather: "We did pressure you to say well, you received them from someone ?"

Burkett: "Yes."

Rather: "And it's true. We pressured you. It was a very important point."

Burkett: "Yes ... "

Rather: "For us."

Burkett: "And I simply threw out a name ? that was basically I guess to take a little
    pressure off for a moment."

Rather: "Have you forged anything?"

Burkett: "No sir."

Rather: "Have you faked anything?

Burkett: "No sir."

Rather: "But you did mislead us."

Burkett: "Yes, I misled."

Rather: "You, you lie, you"

Burkett: "yes, I did."

Rather:: "You lied to us. Why would I, or anyone, believe that you wouldn't mislead us about something else?"

Burkett: "I could understand that question. I can't. That's gonna have to be your judgment and anybody else's."

Burkett still insists the documents are real, but says he was in no position to verify them.

The source can't prove the docs are real. Because they aren't. CBS can't prove they are real. Because they aren't.

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    The source can't prove the docs are real. Because they aren't. CBS can't prove they are real. Because they aren't.

Brilliant detective work. You figured that all out without doing tests to verify them. Amazing. How can I be as successful with detective work as you?

23. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Well, you can start by opening your eyes.

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I was being sarcastic. Or do you need a ;) or a :p to 'get' it?

25. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    ??? So was I. LOL do you need a ;) or sumpin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.