main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there a partisan or ideological bias in the United States media?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by liberalmaverick, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LINQ0311

LINQ0311 Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    There are always going to be biases with people, ideological or not. The one thing to remember about the media is that they are after all a business, and there mission is to print whatever they believe sells. These days, negativity more than most sells.

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

If they feel it's newsworthy then they print it. Whether there's a scandal or not.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Because your society encourages being open, which is to your detriment. You don't find the level of coverage for the intel and security appartus' here that you do in the US; hell, I work in the Federal Government with clearances and I couldn't tell you where ASIS or ASIO are, much less operations they're on.

E_S

4. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    But that doesn't answer my question E_S.

What was their goal in printing that story? To inform for the sake of informing? There wasn't a need for the public to know this. And when weighed against the damage of the public having this information, and offset by the public's indifference to the story I can see no need to run the story...other than to help the terrorists.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Surely you're not being a stereotypical righty by suggesting our press would want to help terrorists, would you? I mean nobody can possibly be that foolish. Any way, if it's a story to inform the public (no matter if they're indifferent) it'll get printed. Besides I'd like to know if the government were being its usual intrusive self. If these things don't get reported then the administration and anyone else in government can get away with it.

6. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I agree with Rod in this particular instance. This is definetely a way that terrorist organizations move their money. And just say it out loud: " checking international banking records ". Not exactly the most egregious blow to human rights. The wire tapping is all together a different animal. The NSA is ear marking tens of millions of citizens in their day to day communications and of course the terrorists are hip to phone taps anyway and probably have been since well before 9/11. Talk about outdated and unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.