main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is there a post-Yavin day-to-day timeline anywhere?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sturm Antilles, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Hi. Been awhile. :)

I plan to pop in here more in the coming months, as I find myself getting back into reading and gaming Star Wars. I took a good long break for the last ten years, just dabbling in stuff, but knowing that someday I would get back into it all in full force. I honestly haven't read much EU post-2001, but I am trying my best to catch up (and revisit some classic novels, comics and games along the way.) It's a bit overwhelming how huge the Expanded Universe has become. It was already big by the late 90s and after; now it is on the level of Star Trek, where you almost have to specialize to have any significant knowledge or understand points along the timeline.

Anyway...my question is in the header above. Seeing as how the post-Yavin timeline *continues* (amazingly) to be filled to the brim with new stories...most surprisingly by novels...I was wondering if there is a pretty accurate day-by-day timeline for this era? I am figuring that there are rough sources for in-universe dates for the destruction of the Death Star, and the events of the Battle of Hoth, that can point to an accurate wedge to place the events that are crammed into the three years between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

Also...Is there a good, accurate Clone Wars timeline somewhere that takes into account of all of the various media, including the film and TV series?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  3. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    It's not? What about the new Marvel comics series? Or Heir To The Force?

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Timeline Gold attempts to chronicle basically everything in SW.

5. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I've heard of Timeline Gold, but last I checked it didn't try to fit things in on a day-to-day timeline.

But with the big decanonization, it's not exactly "full" anymore.

...You, um, have heard of that by now, right?

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's true. It's basically by year. You have considered the poster may not be bothered about canon and simply wants an answer, yes?

7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Sure. That was more just a side comment about how at least the new works aren't having to struggle to find room in the EU post-Yavin timeline anymore.

...Though now that it's come up, I'm curious whether anyone out there is going to try to fit them into it anyway.

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    *waits to see if Sturm has indeed heard about the canon purge*

This should be good. [face_coffee]

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Of course I've heard about it. And to hell with it, I say.

I'm already formulating ideas how to retcon The Force Awakens into an overall continuity. It can be done. There is no try. ;)

I've never cared for what is canon or not, then or now. As long as it makes some semblance of sense and *can* fit, it should.

Duguay likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said, Sir. =D=

11. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Good to see you, Matthew Trias! I gotta say, it's been an interesting past few months revisiting old favorite EU stuff. I am currently rereading Heir To The Empire right now, which I haven't done in almost 20 years. Christ, I was 14 when I first picked it up. And it's still as good as ever.

I've even been playing X-wing and TIE Fighter. I haven't touched either of those in decades. The rush of memories is wonderful.

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Hey, Sturm I remember you. Been a long time. Glad to see you're okay.

Yeah, I've been coming back here now and then. Rebels is the first bit of Star Wars I've enjoyed in a long time, along with all the new comics. Even though I'm generally against such stunts in a franchise, for me, the great canon purge was a good thing. NJO and Clone Wars kind of lost me as a Star Wars fan mostly because of story directions. Rebels however, has been my cup of tea.

I'm happy I'll never see another reference to Yuuzhan Vong and Sith Lord Jacen.

Force Awakens might mess that up for me but eh...:)

13. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I, too, have greatly enjoyed Rebels. I caught every single episode as it came out. It really brought back that classic Star Wars spirit, and I like how they used so much Ralph McQuarrie influence in the designs. The stories also kinda gave me the flavor of the old WEG RPG adventure modules. In fact, I happen to be running a classic Star Wars RPG campaign with some friends the last couple months for the first time in roughly 20 years. Sessions have been fantastically fun, and we are using the D6 rules of yesteryear.

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Sturm, they're not as accurate as they used to be, but I've got timelines for both the ANH-TESB and the Clone Wars that are fairly current--PM me your email if you're interested.

TC