main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there a rule against having a social thread?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Snokers, Jul 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Is there a rule on here that forbids someone from creating a social thread in the community section if one already exists?

I opened one to start a conversation and meet some new people, this was immediately closed by a moderator (he has a social thread on there) and it's a moderator who has quite a few complaints on his profile and in the week since I've been here I have noticed has butted into a lot of peoples conversations to nip pick what they are saying/how they are saying it. Just kinda seems like an abuse of power to me but I dunno, I could be totally wrong.

Just wondered if any of the staff can clear this up for me?

Cheers!

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We normally leave things like social threads up to the forum mods. I see you started your thread in SWC - I believe social and fan club threads there have to be OK'd by one of the forum mods. Otherwise we'd end up with a bunch of redundant threads. If you have an idea for a thread and you can't find an existing one, drop one of the mods a PM and ask.

TrustyTrooper likes this.
  3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Redundant threads will always find themselves locked. The Star Wars Community already has two Social threads, the long running Cloud City Cantina and the Dagobah Mud Hutt. The CCC is for general socialization, whilst the Mud Hutt is the SWC's lesser used "themed" social thread. There is no need for another.

The Cloud City Cantina is not "my" social thread. As the moderator of that forum I simply restarted the latest iteration (we tend to lock a thread when it reaches around 1,000 pages and start a new one). Indeed, the CCC as a social thread predates even my time on the boards.

The "nip picking" [sic] as you put it is simply my warning to other users when they break forum rules, such as the rules against double posting/language edits and so forth.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  4. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Well when someone's saying things like "enjoy your time off" to people when you ban them it just seems like a power trip.

Anyway, this has cleared up the issue for me. Many thanks.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Gonna lock this - issue resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.