Is there a Specific Reason (the Prophecy) why Palps needs the Purge?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I realize the Jedi are probably the biggest threat to Palps successfully taking over the GFFA.

But does he have to wipe them all out?

This is based on the assumption that there will be a Purge after the Clone Wars and during/after Episode III.

I was thinking that maybe the Prophecy says something like "the Jedi will fall, but one will come trained by the remnant, to confront the Son of the Suns...Balance may be restored if the price is paid".

If that's so, Palps would figure if he could wipe out the Jedi, then no one would be able to threaten him later.

Dude, I should totally start writing prophecies! :D
  2. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    No, I think it just has to do with doing away with the enemy and get that revenge Maul was talking about. And being able to stay in power, of course.
  3. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think it's just that Palpatine realizes that the largest threat to his power were the Jedi, after all they were the guardians of peace and justice which are two of the things the Sith loathe most.
  4. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It's a dictator/Sith/powerful thing; they always eliminate the biggest threat first. The Jedi is, easily, that threat to Palpatine.
  5. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah this is totatlly a Machiavelli situation... you have to get rid of your enemies. But not only do you off them, you kill their friends and their family and anyone who ever liked them. That's the only way to really preserve your own power.
  6. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The Jedi are a threat, and Palpatine would also like to get revenge on them anyway. Two good enough reasons.
  7. classixboy Jedi Master

star 4
    What if Palpatine is trying to restore balance to the force himself? For the Jedi, restoring balance means wiping out the Sith. But for the dark side to rule totally, the light side must be wiped out, hence goodbye Jedi.

Balance is just a matter of perspective.
  8. Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Knight

star 2
    What if Palpatine is trying to restore balance to the force himself?...But for the dark side to rule totally, the light side must be wiped out, hence goodbye Jedi.

Hey! I never thought of it that way, that's a good idea.

I myself have always thought that Palps taking Anakin as apprentice meant that he wanted in some way to "stop" or prevent the prophecy from happening. Put the Chosen One under his thumb and he'd never balance the Force. But I see much sense in your idea :)
  9. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Agreed - that's sort of what I was getting at.

Palps knows he has the Chosen One under his wing, but if there's any Jedi out there, there's always the possibility, no matter how remote, that they might come back and/or train someone in the ways of the Jedi to challenge Palps and Vader.

So I wonder what exactly the Prophecy foretells.
  10. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    But does he have to wipe them all out?

No, and he doesn't. See, not all the Jedi were wiped out. Some made it through--though they were either in hiding or stipped of their powers. I do not think it is possible for all the Jedi to be destroyed--ergo they weren't.

I was thinking that maybe the Prophecy says something like "the Jedi will fall, but one will come trained by the remnant, to confront the Son of the Suns...Balance may be restored if the price is paid".

Well--I doubt we ever know the full prophecy. However, I doubt that anything about a son will be in it, to be honest. At least not in the main part of the prophecy relating to Anakin. If there is a prophecy about "the son of the suns," lately I've been thinking it may be a connection to the prophecy mentioned in the films, but not in the prophecy itself. Two separate prophecies working together, or something like that.

If that's so, Palps would figure if he could wipe out the Jedi, then no one would be able to threaten him later.

Even though "overconfidence is his weakness," it doesn't mean that he's lost all sense of reality--I would imagine he would have to accept the fact that no matter how hard he tries, he won't be able to find every single Jedi in existance.
  11. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Perhaps this is a stupid question... but I can't remember where this whole "son of the suns" thing originated in the first place...
  12. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Isn't it a reference to the binary suns of Tatooine?
  13. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    The phrase "Son of the Suns" first appeared in one of the original drafts of what ended up being ANH. It's been around as long as Star Wars has.

I do not think that there is any connection between the purge and the prophecy. Although it is reasonable to assume that the prophecy may refer to the Chosen One comming during a dark period for the Jedi (else, why whould he be needed?), it is not certain that the Jedi must be destroyed for ballance to be restored.
  14. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, it is a reference to the suns of Tatooine... and thanks, now I remember :p

Yeah, I also hesitate to say that anything to do with the Purge is in the Prophecy. I would think the Jedi would be a little more concerned (assuming they know the whole thing) if that were so. In Shatterpoint Mace truly believes that Anakin may be their only hope to bring balance, even if he (Mace) has to give his life in the process. But he makes no reference to everyone having to die. Then again, perhaps Yoda is the only one who really knows the whole Prophecy... but why? I don't know, it's a possible explaination of why he goes into hiding.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.