is there a way we can ignore certain users

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darth_boy, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    ive seen this on other forums, can we get it?

loads of you would love to do it to me
    but still i have some variety
    some posters just keep spamming copy pasted links all the time without contributing to the thread, gets annoying. we could just put them on ignore
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Not on these boards. However, I know we've discussed the feature in MS for after the move. I don't think we've decided on this one yet.
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    And the most ignored user each day can be banned from the forums forever since we can't do silly things like skip over their posts when we see them or simply not click on threads they start.

Or we can just turn the url of theforce.net into a link to facebook.

4. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    That's your beezel talking.....
  5. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I fully support this feature. Sometimes I just wanna block Ossy when he says bad things about Christian Bales. :mad:
  6. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I wouldn't support such a feature. The boards should strive to remain as tight a unit as possible and encourage more people in (even if they don't start off well) - especially so far along the long downward curve after Revenge of the Sith. That means encouraging users to contribute and improve rather than allowing them to be ignored. Such a policy could remove any likelihood of personal improvement if a user is collectively consigned to the dustbin... perhaps too quickly. People do develop into their time on the boards. Although beezel's thread about facebook was something of a mockery (we shouldn't worry about other places becoming go-to destinations above the boards themselves), I do think we should avoid placing features here on the boards that actively encourage the development of cliques and give people the option - especially those who are popular here, those who set the social agenda - to alienate their peers.

I'd much rather tolerate a few bad eggs but be safe in the knowledge everyone who could have something positive to contribute to my time here is heard.

Problem users or those users still learning - well they should just be dealt with by the MS as usual.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    I used to be in favor of adding an ignore feature to the new board software but I've completely changed my mind based in reasons very similar to what Everton just posted.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    This wouldn't have happened if you had Everton on ignore.
  9. World_Cup_Wally Jedi Master

star 4
    I've never understood people whining about this. I ignore plenty of users. You don't need a 'feature' in order to do it.
  10. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5

Who is whining?

If by 'whining' you mean requesting a feature, I agree simple convenience is incomprehensible.

Yes, users can be ignored, I do it quite often. There are few here on TFN I hardly even notice anymore.

Others are not as easy to ignore, especially when they constantly make comments directed at you which are then repeated by other users.

An ignore user button would be simple convenience, removing the need for energy required to ignore someone and completely negating the willpower factor.
  11. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Perfect.
  12. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Mocking's more entertaining anyway.
  13. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    This feature would be a bad idea. Doesn't darth_boy make 1/3 of the threads on the message board these days? There would be nothing to talk about.
  14. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    This is it in a nutshell for me. And was why I ripped all the coding for it out of vB the last time we started down the path. I don't know what Grimby has done this time around in full but it has been a point of discussion.
  15. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I'm strongly against having an ignore button, pretty much for the reasons mentioned above.
  16. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    The thing is

THe JC hardly has any mods except for Dave.
    So it's a way of self modding. Cos the others post like once a month and seem out of touch.

Well maybe not Jello he posts a bit but not that much.
  17. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Maybe he should put a call out for new, and more impressive trolls?
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Yes.

But, in terms of ignoring you? No way. I would subscribe to your posts if I could. You keep the arteries from clogging. Seriously.

I also agree with Juli above. We need a better class of troll.
  19. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    LOL. That pretty much says it all right there.
  20. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I wouldn't. You posted that you loved the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, but hated the two sequels. I couldn't agree more, and wouldn't want to have missed out on discovering there's something we agree on. :p

Practically anybody can come up with a post that practically anybody else can like.
  21. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I already exercise my right to ignore who I want to.

And what Everton said.
  22. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7

Take it from me, the best thing anyone on these boards can do is to ignore what people say about you. And then continue posting the way you are and living your life your way. Remember the best revenge is staying and becoming what you are, apart of this wonderful community of people from all over the world that all love Star Wars.
  23. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Someday I hope if I stick around here long enough I will have an existential breakthrough just like you did, Beezel.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
  25. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.