main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is there an actual canon TIMELINE?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Drewdude91, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    The other thing stated in the films is that there is almost a ten-year gap between TPM and AOTC: "I haven't seen her in ten years, master!"

It's been established that ROTS is 13 years after TPM, but is that timeline canon? Does ANH officially take place 19 years after ROTS?

In Clone Wars, there was the episode about Sifo-Dyas and how he was sent on a mission to Felucia 10 years earlier, that ended in his death.

When Yoda went to see Palpatine, Palpatine told him that since it was 10 years ago, it was before his time, and he'd have to talk to Valorum.

Now, I'm not under the impression that that episode took place within a year of Attack of the Clones. Indeed, it seems like the series takes place in the later part of the Clone Wars. Yet, Palpatine hadn't even been Chancellor for 10 years at the time? What?

This timeline is confusing. Is there an official timeline established?

2. CometSmudge

CometSmudge Jedi Padawan

Feb 17, 2016
    I think there's an official timeline for the movies, but not for the clone wars.

3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Actually, there's a book called Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide with all the episodes in chronological order (excluding Lost Missions, but we can assume those all come afterward).

4. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Personally, I think you might have capitalized the wrong word in that title. ;)

Dandelo likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The timeline of events was first published in the EU novels around the time the "Jedi Academy" trilogy came out and was updated every time a new book came out. Dark Horse Comics joined that timeline around 1995. The timeline was updated as Lucas or Lucasfilm updated the time period between films. This was around 2000 or 2001.

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    The earliest specific timeline I can recall seeing comes from a transcript of Lucas announcing the prequels at a press conference/interview thing, as recorded in Star Wars Insider in 1995. The actual timeline appears to be extrapolated out of Lucas's answers to one or two questions, but it is the same as what we understand the timeline to be today (except I think it might have two years between II & III instead of three, or vice versa; whichever is NOT the way it exists today).

ATMachine likes this.
  8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I have the 6 film movie canon and the Filoniverse animated canon. If anyone creates stories between 32bby and 4aby I'll check them out. Disney should do a Clone Wars film.

9. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Lucas has stated before that the six films exist as a separate identity from everything else.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    To him

Like it or not, there's only one level of canon in the current system. It either is or it isn't, though I assume that the principle of the core saga overriding any other canon source holds true

PymParticles and Iron_lord like this.
  11. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    To him, who happens to be the creator of the work.

Seagoat likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You misunderstand me

I still personally go with the G-canon and down system. I'm simply stating the way LFL works with it now

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    gl also said that before he created tcw. so it's no longer correct.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

At the very least, it's impossible to decanonize a movie scene. However, EU "movie tie-ins", like the radio dramas or the original novelizations, can be contradicted in the new system, with various reference works.

For example, canonically, Mr "He doesn't like you - I don't like you either" is Dr Cornelius Evazan - even if the ANH radio drama called him "Roofoo, the small time punk".

Canonically - the forest Moon of Endor still has a planet - even if the original RoTJ novelization said the planet was destroyed a long time ago.

And so forth.

Even movie credits don't qualify as "unretconnable" - the credits call Mr "Until this battlestation is fully operational, we are vulnerable" Taggi, but the canon reference works have firmly fixed him as Tagge.

ATMachine likes this.
  15. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord wrote (I read your "call" ;))

For example, canonically, Mr "He doesn't like you - I don't like you either" is Dr Cornelius Evazan - even if the ANH radio drama called him "Roofoo, the small time punk".

Even movie credits don't qualify as "unretconnable" - the credits call Mr "Until this battlestation is fully operational, we are vulnerable" Taggi, but the canon reference works have firmly fixed him as Tagge.

Here is George Lucas Canon:

G-canon was George Lucas canon: Considered absolute canon, it included Episodes I–VI (the released films at that time), and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, film novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources were also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films. G-canon overrided the lower levels of canon when there was a contradiction.

We have it as a fact that
    1. The radio drama came first before the EU alteration ("Dr. Evazan")
    2. The EU alteration violated G-canon while G-canon was still commonly accepted
    So despite the fact that we all "know" that Dr. Evazan is wrong, many hang on to it regardless because it's popular. Ultimately "Canon" then is nothing more and nothing less than a belief system, when it doesn't follow the rules set by its creator.

"Taggi" is the spelling as it shows up in the movie credits. "Tagge" is the spelling in script and novelization but it's in contradiction to the released film.

Regarding the planet Endor it did show up in the sky of the Ewok film Caravan of Courage. Not explicitly "canon" the film came after the ROJ novelization and apparently either reveals a premise change by George Lucas or that James Kahn's "the forest moon has no mother planet" was an artistic liberty Lucasfilm overlooked when authorizing the book's print.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is - it's often impossible to tell what elements of the radio drama (not present in the actual movie) were invented by Brian Daley, and what were invented by George Lucas. Or what were "artistic liberties by James Kahn" and what was "Lucas-created - but retconned".

That is probably why they chucked out the old G-canon vs C-canon system - and replaced it with "movies plus "newcanon material" = the new canon universe".

ATMachine likes this.
  17. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    So much for auteur theory, eh?

18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Pardon my saying, but that's irrelevant. George Lucas listed the radio drama as a G-canon source and that's it (yet, I'm confident that Rogue One will take artistic liberties regarding how the Death Star plans found their way to Princess Leia).

This is another issue / question, i.e. what secondary G-canon source takes precedence over another secondary G-canon source. E.g. is the Skyhopper just a "tropospheric" craft according to the ANH novelization or a spaceworthy vehicle according to the ROJ novelization?

There is a different explanation: Rather than to correct all the conjectural and contradicting EU fabrications (deemed erroneous by George Lucas Canon as the ultimate conclusion because some folks were inept to do a minimal amount of proper research), these were legalized. As the result "fact" becomes legends, and myth becomes truth.

19. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    I reject George Lucas' canon and substitute my own. :p

Lt. Hija and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Same.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    When? As far as I know - all he mentions is the movies - not the radio dramas, and not the novelizations.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."

Now, Lucasfilm Licensing, in the past - included the novelizations and so forth as well:

"'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelizations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history—with many off-shoots, variations and tangents—like any other well-developed mythology."

but even then - a point was made of how "absolute canon" consists only of the films:

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves—and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies.

22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord

I refer to the qoutes from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

In 2000, Lucas Licensing appointed Leland Chee to create a continuity tracking database referred to as the "Holocron".[6]

The Holocron was divided into five levels (in order of precedence): G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon. These levels are no longer in use after April 25, 2014.
    G-canon was George Lucas canon: Considered absolute canon, it included Episodes I–VI (the released films at that time), and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, film novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources were also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films. G-canon overrided the lower levels of canon when there was a contradiction.

T-canon was Television canon:[7] referred to the canon level comprising only the animated film Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the two television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.[8]

C-canon was Continuity canon: consisting of materials from the Star Wars expanded universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks were a special case; the stories and general background information were themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay were, with few exceptions, N-canon.

S-canon was Secondary canon: covering the same medium as C-canon, it was immediately superseded by anything in higher levels of canon in any place where two elements contradicted each other. The non-contradicting elements were still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This included certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N-canon was Non-canon: "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon was the only level that was not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. Any published material that contradicted things established in G-canon and T-canon was considered N-canon.

Interesting item, regarding the current Darth Maul discussion in the PT section (dead or alive?).

According to methodology prior to April 25, 2014 those that believe him "dead" because of G-canon are fully entitled to say so, but those that also consider T-canon can claim that reports of his death were vastly exaggerated. ;)

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And that methodology is gone now- since it's after 2014.

Now, newcanon media (comics, Rebels TV, novels) are all on the same level.

As I pointed out:

Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, film novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources were also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films.

this bit makes "Novelizations and radio plays" problematic at best - because it's so hard to tell what originated with Lucas and what didn't - whether "Roofoo" is a Daley name or a Lucas name.

In any case - the OP wasn't interested in "G-Canon vs Legends vs Newcanon" debates - they wanted to know if there was an "official timeline
    And my answer is - I'm not 100% sure - nobody's yet established exactly what year each TCW episode takes place in, for the "Official newcanon"

Force Smuggler likes this.