main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there an advantage to SW fan club membership.....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by tobywanben, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    I just hope they do not take forever with this "big announcement"! I want to get my fan club membership also. And it is driving me crazy every time I call, and the guy says he doesn't know when they plan to announce it...which he does!! ARGH!!

2. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Actually, I'm almost certain you might have spoken with David, and I'm almost certain HE doesn't have that information.

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    but they can't reasonably expect us to wait in line for 2+ hours just to get into the con.
    With that many people, you can't help for there to be delays. Especially with a fan base, know (almost infamous) for it's willingness to stand in line hours before an event (or movie) involving their favorite sci-fi genre. And despite the fan club lanyard thing backfired somewhat, people would be complaining if only a select few were able to get in (if you are not in that group). So my advice is...wait your turn, start a conversation with the people around you...you'll have more good memories of Celebration III (the the apparent "tramatic experiences" we keep hearing about from disgruntaled fanboyz)

I think there was plenty to see and do at CII, yet there is always room for more events. The big thing may be to keep people moving. If everyone is trying to get into the main room for one of the Hayden/Nick shows (I have a 17 yr old sister...so I was at every one of them), have some of the other actors in the smaller rooms...where fans can listen to the stories, ask a coupls questions...and get the photo/autographs taken care of. I'll bet the celebs wouldn't mind doing short "meet and greets" with fans, rather then repeat the same thing over and over in the main exhibition hall autograph area. Spread that aspect of the con around...and traffic may improve all over the place?

4. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    YEE HAA!!! Well, I was finally able to get my NEW Hyperspace Membership!! It will only take 4-6 weeks to get my first edition of the Insider, and up to 12 weeks to get my Membership kit!! 12 weeks?? Doesn't that seem a tad long? I don't think I would have bought it if it didn't come with Hyperspace. I wasn't convinced about it when they first announced it...so we will see. Anyone else subscribe?? And yes, it WAS David I was talking to. How did you know?

5. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    I subscribed...mostly in hopes that it will bring special privledges to me when I attend C3.

6. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    I'm sure there will be benefits. But I doubt they will be useful. The ones from CII weren't.

7. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm still bitter over the Insider mess-up when I moved. I sent them a letter with my new address and send email enquiries but never received the rest of my subscription. Maybe I'll rejoin once the new FC is sorted out.

As for lines, I guess I wouldn't mind them so much if people knew what they were in line for or if staff doesn't suddenly change which enterence people should use so those in line for hours don't all of sudden lose their place.

I don't have too much on line bitching due to the wonderful IK volunteer organizers. [face_love] [face_love]

8. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    So my advice is...wait your turn, start a conversation with the people around you...you'll have more good memories of Celebration III
    This is exactly what I did at C2 :) I didn't mean to complain all that much in my earlier post. I met lots of cool people while waiting in lines.
    It's just sorta disappointing when you go to this huge Star Wars thing and you don't get to do lots of the things you were hoping to. Just trying to prepare the people that didn't go last time ;)

9. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Just thought I would let everyone know that I got the newest Insider today and in the inside it had one of those lovely subscription cards explaining the benefits of membership. The details are:

-Hyperspace access
    -6 issues of Insider
    -Membership kit
    -"Early Admission to Celebration III and a special mebers' lounge"
    -Fan Club breakfasts
    -Special discounts and exclusive merchandise

So at the very least fan club membership "semi-officially" gives you the same benefits it did for CII. I have heard rumors on this site there there might be even more benefits but as of right know this is all that has come from "the horse's mouth" so to speak. ;)

Just thought I would let every one know in case you were lucky enough to not get any of those annoying subscription cards.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Early Admission to Celebration III and a special mebers' lounge

THe early admission took just the same if not longer sine the FanClub line was so long. They need to have more than two ways to get in this time. And the FanCLub louge was a joke, there wasn't any food in there, it was a empty room.

11. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    The fan club is worth it for the Insider subscription alone.

Just once, I wish they would offer the same bloody perks to people who don't live in North America.

12. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Rox: It is good to see that someone else has the same opinion about the Fan Club benefits that I do. In other words they were completely useless.

13. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    When I received my lanyard from the Fan Club I received the black one instead of the fan club member one so I had to go find someone who worked at Celebration 2 to exchange me the right one. So I had to bring my receipt of my membership to prove that I was a member. What a pain that was.
    And then I later heard you could walk up and just get a membership lanyard...without difficulty..or proof!!!
    :mad:

14. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Iwould like toknow...with my new "Hyperspace" membership...how colse to C3 will they mail out the laynards, or do you pick them up in Indi?

15. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Well as far as I know you won't just automatically get a lanyard because you are a member of Hyperspace/The Fan Club. You will get your lanyard when you purchase CIII admission which is not yet available to my knowledge.

16. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    They are going to screw this up again.I hope they learned from CII what not to do,but I doubt it.

17. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Are people forgetting that C3 is being run by a totally different organization?

Its being run by the GenCon folks. All they do is run extremely large conventions, and have done so for over 10 years!

This year they are running the gaming convention in the exact same location as C3. So any problems with how to handle crowd control and line-ups and spots to place information signage will be all figured out this year.

Sure there are going to be unexpected problems. You have 40,000 people in one place and tell me there won't be an issue at some point. These people are professionals though, they've already encountered/taken into account the biggest of the hurdles that should happen.

A little faith please.

Now back on topic, with the fanclub changed ownership once again its going to be interesting to see what they plan. I wonder if they even know yet? My guess is Steve Sansweet's talk at the major conventions this summer will reveal some of those ideas.

18. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i hate to break it to you, but the gencon people suck. the lines here in indy last year were 10 times worse for gencon then for CII.

19. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Hey Zucuss, correct me if I am wrong, but GenCon did NOT run C2. I believe it was Wizards fo the Coast. I have heard great things about GenCon. It sounds like they know what they are doing when it comes to BIG events like a C3! As Woofer said, "a little faith please!" And as for the Fan Club...now that is it back in the hands of Lucasfilm, I hope and prey that they do something really great for the F A N S!! I mean, that is what it's all about, is it not? That is why they do things like C3. However...you can't spell Lucasfilm without Lucas, and we know how he tends to dissapoint. Remember Episode 1? Need I say more? I just hope soemething good will come out of this!!

20. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Gen*Con people did not run C2, but they ran the 2003 Gen*Con, which is what Zuck attended last year in Indy, and they are running the 2004 Gen*Con here in Indy again, then Celebration 3 & yet another Gen*Con in 2005...all at the Indy Convention Center.

21. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    they ran the 2003 Gen*Con, which is what Zuck attended last year in Indy, and they are running the 2004 Gen*Con here in Indy again, then Celebration 3 & yet another Gen*Con in 2005...all at the Indy Convention Center.
    I would like to think that after 2 conventions (at Indy Convention Center) that they'll have MOST of the logistical kinks worked out in time for C3...

"Something familiar about this place!"

22. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Since getting your new subscription to the Insider and Hyperspace, has anyone recieved ANYTHING from Lucasfilm? I bought my sub way back in April...the 29th to be exact. As I write this, it is July 8th. I have not recieved anything yet at all. I tried calling Pizo publishing, or whatever it is called. I forgot that Lucasfilm has all the rights to it now. Maybe that is why I don't have anything...because Lucasfilm has my money and does not plan to deliver (see Episode 1)

Does anyone have any number or website I can contact to get any info? I love in Canada, so it costed me nearly 50 bucks!! If anyone can help, please let me know! Thanks so much!!

23. tk432

tk432 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    Well..

Lets just hope it doesn't play out like it did last time they changed publishers.

We i think waited 6 months or so before we got anything.

If that happens this time im quiting right after SWC3.

24. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I find this behavior odd from them, but it did happen back a couple of years ago, so that might be what happened. seeing how things turned out VaderFanForever, you might just get the next issue of the Insider in the mail and then you'll get it ok after that.

hopefully you won't have to wait much more longer, but for the next couple of issues of the insider the folks at Paizo are still the best people to deal with after that it will be IDG and I am very fearfull of what we will loose in terms of Costumer care... but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt untill I get my first problems. ^_^

25. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    tk432...you waited 6 months before you got anything? That is WRONG! We pay good money for their business, and they should comply. In my opinion, with everything now in the control of Lucasfilm, there should be no problems!! It says in the magazine 4-6 weeks for the first issue...it has been almost 10 weeks! That is too long to me!

So no one has any phone numbers or anyone I can contact? What about Lucasfilm directly? Is there anyone there that knows anything? Let me know!!

Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.