main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is there an in-universe explanation for the abundance of female First Order troops?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sarlaac_fanboy, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Because Humans are by far the most numerous species in the Galaxy, and any planet with other species generally opposes the first order as they did the empire before it.

It helps in saving costs in having to make armor that fits only s single species.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    'It's kind of sad that the creative process was influenced by the political beliefs of outside parties"

No. Stop right there. Think about every male lead there has ever been in an action film. They have all been heterosexual, right? That is a result of the political beliefs of outside parties. You don't notice it though, because it reflected the consensus and the prevailing mood of the time. As those prevailing moods and trends change, then inevitably this will impact on culture; if it doesn't, it gets to the point where keeping, say, homosexuality, out of a mainstream action film is as much of a political statement as introducing a homosexual character.

So, if you want an in-universe explanation, the best way to look at it is simply this; in the thirty years between ROTJ and TFA, gender politics in the galaxy have developed alongside gender politics on our world. There's no further explanation needed.

3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002

I read your title. My brain farted a snark. I posted. I was frankly offended by the topic being discussed.The outdated notion of the Empire.
    Forgive me.
    I will ensure that our paths never cross again on any thread your post.

Your reply, quoting me (and thereby singling me out amongst other snark comments which you are forgetting to note), came across as rude...

Anyway.

Onward!

(PS: People here post on whatever thread they want. There is no obligation for an explanation to be provided. Again: feel free to ignore, electronically or otherwise, any comments that do not meet your standards of discourse. Believe me - I do. :))

4. Infinite Cactus

Infinite Cactus Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2015
    Not to be a jerkstore about it, but the in universe explanation can be as simple as
    Question:Why is there an abundance of female troops?
    Answer: Because there happens to be an abundance of female troops.

No further inference required. No further explanation needed.

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Absolutely that.

6. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Lucas said back in 1976 there were female stormtroopers on the Death Star, you just didn't see them on screen.

All the rebel pilots and all the rebels troops were male in the OT but there were female ones off screen presumably .

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would be the "manager" he is referring to, it's just another term for moderator.

The TS did ask a polite question, but I don't know that there is an "in-universe" explanation. The out-of-universe explanation is that we as a society have thankfully evolved since the 70s. Maybe the First Order is less sexist than the Empire?

As far as the snark, you said it, I think the TS does need to understand that a question along the lines of 'Why are so many girls here?' will rub many of us the wrong way for historical and societal reasons.

8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Assuming the OP isn't a veiled He-Man Girl Haters post, I would point him to a number new canon books that have come out over the last year which make it clear that women were part of the Empire. We have Rae Sloane in AND, as well as Aftermath. There are a number of other female characters in AND, including a Stormtrooper Sargeant, and Imperial officers in Aftermath, and, of course, a number of female Imperial officers in Lost Stars, including one of the lead characters, Ciena Ree, who, in the latter part of tthe book, is at the Battle of Jakku.

So, within the universe, there is no need for an explanation. Women have always been a part of the Empire.

9. Sarlaac_fanboy

Sarlaac_fanboy Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Why do all the planets have the same gravity? Because all the planets have the same gravity.

How is that explanation not the most unsatisfying, lazy thing ever? This is Star Wars, I'm a fan. I'm going to speculate regardless of who it offends. I won't walk on eggshells around here for other people. Ever. Next time someone has a genuine question about the universe of these films we all love, I would hope we could all be a little less quick to assume the worst.

10. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

Unless they make a Blaster that is activated by a penis, then it will be a problem.

11. Sarlaac_fanboy

Dec 16, 2015
    Stop assuming I don't think about the over abundance of heterosexual men within films. Of course I know the real-world reason why there is a more diverse and gender-inclusive cast this time around, and Maz Kanata happens to be my favorite new character outside of the main cast (she outranks Poe for me).

The in-universe reasons for things we see in these films tends to be different. Going by the rigid logic presented by several in this thread, Han Solo survived the carbonite because GL wanted to keep him around. No further explanation is needed, apparently.

I would ask again that we could all have open discussions on a discussion board.

12. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't consider one female field commander and a smattering of 'bridge bunnies' an abundance of female First Order troops.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And...thread.

14. Sarlaac_fanboy

Dec 16, 2015
    How does anyone post anything around here? I'm stunned.

15. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I demonstarted above why no further explanation is neccesary. Not convinced?

16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, its more on the peripheral and the movie doesn't make a big deal about it. Much ado about nothing.

17. Sarlaac_fanboy

Dec 16, 2015
    Strongbow: You answered the question in a way true to the intention of this thread. Of course I'm satisfied with what you wrote. But keep in mind that it's only your opinion based on the limited information we have. It's a speculation post, so I'm glad you wrote something substantial. Thank you.

18. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Cool. It is an opinion, of course, but it is a fact that women are presented as:

Stormtroopers
    Naval Officers
    TIE pilots.

These all take place in the Empire era.

Welcome to TFN.

19. Sarlaac_fanboy

Dec 16, 2015
    The expanded universe portrayed this to some extent, but the films didn't. And that lack of female imperials in the OT is a pretty vast coincidence in-universe, vast enough to be arguably a hiccup in the Star Wars lore. So big a hiccup, I think, that it's reasonable for some new EU material to provide some kind of an explanation for it.

20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well the First Order seems like they take whoever and the Empire was all about quantity over quality...the armor is unisex and works for most humanoid species in the galaxy so I am not seeing the issue

21. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    The new books are declared official canon. Yeah, in-universe it is a voincidence that we only see men. But OFFICIALLY, it is just coincidence. Ciena Ree, for example, is said to been an ooficer aboard both the Devastator, and the Executor.

I think we know intellectually, of course, that the real reason is out of universe. But in-universe, it is just coincidence.

22. Sarlaac_fanboy

Dec 16, 2015
    Which is why I didn't feel the need to elaborate on it earlier. Because it's kind of obvious out of universe. And when I say the reasoning is kind of sad, I mean that the whole outside influences thing is just unfortunate as a principle. For example I'm glad that Han Solo stuck around for ROTJ, but it's sad that it was influenced by marketing. It's probably only a matter of time until this question gets officially patched up. Nearly every trend of change we see in the films is explained by EU material. This will be no different eventually.

23. Infinite Cactus

Infinite Cactus Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2015
    I don't assume the worst, but not every little detail needs to be a detailed explanation. Some things just are. What do you want to hear? It seems like you assumed the worst because a simple answer didn't satisfy you.

Better yet, why do you think there are so many female troops? Contribute your ideas. That will likely bring better discussion.

It's less about your question being offensive or not, and more about why you so desire an explanation beyond that there happens to be an abundance of female troops.

24. Sarlaac_fanboy

Dec 16, 2015
    Because it's an inconsistency and I have OCD, maybe? I dunno. I only recently got over the fact that differently sized planets are shown to have the same gravity, and Tatooine's ecosystem still doesn't make sense to me.

It's not unreasonable to demand explanations about a universe as deep as Star Wars. Did you know Tauntauns survive in caves by eating lichens and small alien plants? Maybe you didn't need to know, but I'm glad I do.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Nah, I get it. All planets are portrayed a single ecosystem, pretty much. The one excpetion I can think of Naboo, and even then, they just live in different parts of the same ecosystem. Star Wars isn't hard sci-fi. A lot of the sciencey stuff requires some hand waving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.