main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is there an in-universe explanation for the abundance of female First Order troops?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sarlaac_fanboy, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Do you have a source in which Lucas said that he made Star Wars "mainly for boys"?

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Because Disney wants to try and draw in new fans who may not have seen/cared about SW before, as well as bring back the older ones. So, why not do this? There's no reason why the FO wouldn't have female officers really.

3. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Hat tip to those who pointed out the FO needs bodies more than they need to care about gender. Though non humans need not "apply" it would seem...

4. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Yes i will try to find it.

Here's what JJ said, “Star Wars was always about, you know...it was always a boy’s thing, and a movie that dads take their sons to. And though that’s still very much the case, I was really hoping that this could be a movie that mothers can take their daughters to as well. So I’m looking forward to kids seeing this movie and to seeing themselves in it, and seeing that they’re capable of doing what they could never imagine was possible.”

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've seen that quote from Abrams, and unfortunately there was quite a bit of sexism regarding the Star Wars fandom in my generation, which has permeated somewhat to the current one. But I don't think Lucas had the intention of excluding women and girls.

6. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    At a recent New York screening for this week’s new animated release, Strange Magic - on which he served as executive producer- George Lucas revealed how the new film in part helped him leave the Star Wars franchise behind. After revealing that this project has been 15 years in the making (predating two of the Star Wars prequels), Lucas explained to Page Six how Strange Magic is somewhat of an inspirational successor to Star Wars. Said the filmmaker,

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/One-Reason-Why-George-Lucas-Isn-t-Making-Star-Wars-Movies-69253.html

7. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    It was an oversight. That's all.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean attitudes have changed quite a bit in general over the last almost 40 years.

I don't think that GL is some sexist who doesn't care about women/girls, far from it. He didn't HAVE to make Leia as awesome as she was back in the day after all. I just think that it was one of those things where, people just didn't think about this sort of thing as much back in 1977-83. As nld3 put it, it was an oversight on both his and everyone else's parts.

These days, they do. Heck when the new trilogy was first announced, I myself very quickly said "you know, what if they made the new Jedi hero a woman this time? That'd actually be kind of cool."

nld3 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I hate this subtext that the Empire was racist or anti-alien. The reason for all white British dudes was another oversight by Lucas who didn't even think he had a hit. He changed that in Empire. The Aliens are very costly to do. And the Empire sure used Alien Bounty hunters in Empire when the budget went up. Plus Paplatine had Alien Administraters in ROTS. Sly Moore is one. Plus even Darth Maul was an Alien.

10. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I agree they need to change it up. I don't want to see Luke or Anakin types for every new trilogy. I do remember somewhere Lucas said he doesn't do evil women. Well now that he's out we can have a villainous female. I wish they had stayed with Snoke as a female. It would have been a cool battle Rey vs. Female Snoke.

11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The whole "sexist and xenophobic Empire" thing seems like it was mostly a case of other writers feeling the need to explain why the Imperials tended to be older white British dudes in the films. Because, in the films themselves, there's really not much evidence given that the Empire operates like that.

Also if you notice, The Rebellion also made up of pretty much all White guys in both ANH and ESB. Leia is really the only prominent female there. It isn't until ROTJ, when they likely had more money and the effects had improved (plus someone might have pointed it out to them), that we start getting alien members of the Rebellion, and a few POC pilots, and Mon Mothma shows up for a scene.

nld3 likes this.
  12. darth elyk

Dec 28, 2015
    As a kid we all noticed that the Empire had zero non humans. The FO has zero non humans (to date or shown on screen). The Empire would surely use anyone in the underworld to get what it wants done (bounty hunters, we don't need their scum!). Racist, I did not indicate that. We did not pick up on that from watching the OT. Bias against non humans, ya, I still feel that one. We never get any scene of the OT Imperial senate to see what became of it in terms of non human presence. So it was easy for us to think the Empire sure as heck didn't want non humans in the military. The FO seems the same given that they could have plopped in some (heck 1) non human officers and did not in TFA.

13. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Sometimes these EU book writers feel the need to clone every idea from the Nazis when there were plenty of Empires to borrow from. The Roman Empire being the better to equate the SWs Empire too. Now the art direction & the uniforms flags are starting to look too 3rd Reich like now. Its just a little easy. The Empire had a futurist slight 3rd Reich look.

14. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Exactly.

15. darth elyk

Dec 28, 2015
    A bit off topic perhaps... "Where are you taking this..... thing"
    did not help me back then or now, that the Empire was not so keen on non humans. GL certainly had not gotten the whole story out at that point, still, the Empire never changed in terms of presence in its military ranks the rest of the OT. At least the rebels did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.