main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is there an official weight of Darth Vader?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Cyrina, May 29, 2016.

1. Darth Cyrina

Darth Cyrina Jedi Padawan

Apr 30, 2016
    I am writing a fanfic for the heck of it (no clue if I'm gong to publish it) and I'm trying to make as accurate as humanly possible. At one point Syliva (the main character) tackles Palpatine after screaming "get down" and him not moving. (as a note the palace is under attack). He is understandably pissed and while throwing her off him, screams something along the lines of "get the hell off me" My plan was to have her shout back "would you have liked to be tackled by the (insert weight here) Sith Lord?" But I can't find a weight for Vader to save my life. Anyone know of a canon weight?

(Also if this is in the wrong place, mods, move it to the correct place, sorry)

2. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Wookiepedia says 120 kg (including armour).

Or 264.6 lb if you live in the middle ages.

3. Darth Cyrina

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks, and yeah, I live in the Middle Ages :D

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    That's about two hundred sixty-four pounds. Wow!

Good question, Darth Cyrina.

5. Darth Cyrina

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks! He weighs a lot, and thank god for that because add inertia and him using the Force to tackle his master, Palpatine would become a Palpatine Pancake. I would have thought he would be a tad bit lighter because, for the love of the force, can you cut him a break Sidious? First you give him crappy cybernetics. His fatal weaknesses is lighting yet your main way of attack is lighting? (side note, that makes it incredibly dangerous for them to fight together, as if Vader gets in the way, on accident, you end up with a well cooked Vader) and you then make it impossible for him to use his fighting style because of his weight? That just never made any sense.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I imagined that he weighed about one hundred ninety pounds to two hundred eighteen pounds a few years ago. I know he is shown using the Force in calculated bursts to make himself faster when pressed, and he mostly does this in the EU, though he also does so at least once in the films. But if he really weighs that much, I don't know how he could do that without hurting himself. But, then, he is a Sith Lord, and so he probably does not care about hurting himself, given his extreme mental state.

7. Darth Cyrina

Apr 30, 2016
    That's a fair point. I just never understood why Vader was so limited. Palpitine wanted Anakin for his extreme power in the force, and while he did lose some of it, if the ending to 3 and all of the originals are anything to go by, not that much was lost. He may have wanted Anakin to suffer for his failure, yes, but wouldn't keeping him AWAKE during the transformation into Vader be enough suffering? (You can clearly hear screams of agony coming from Anakin) Palpatine may have wanted to keep him in check and make it so he couldn't overthrow him, but that is going a little overkill. He can't use his old fighting style (side note, what form was Anakins fighting style?) he's very weak to lighting, and he has all around crappy cybernetics. Can you cut him a break! :D

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm guessing about 60 pounds of that 264 was armor. Good armor needs some weight to it to be effective; if you make it too light (titanium or carbon fiber) then it doesn't have enough inertia to absorb the energy of whatever is impacting against it. Historically, a suit of armor averaged about 60 pounds, and is about the same weight that a typical soldier carries in weapons, gear, and miscellaneous equipment.

Darth_Pevra and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    About 1200 newtons

10. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    And he had to wear that for over twenty years with little to no respite. Gosh... He must have been in some pain even in his meditation chamber.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wearing armor takes some getting used to, but it's not as bad as you might think. A good suit is designed so that the weight is spread out evenly and doesn't press down too hard on any one spot; you learn to move naturally, and you develop good techniques for things like falling and getting up again. But when you're carrying that extra weight up a steep hill or stairs, you can really feel the difference.

12. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    Methinks too much is being read into things here. But the OP wants it for a FanFic, so I suppose that's alright.
    I don't subscribe to the PT/EU established 'Weak' Vader view though. Doesn't come across in the OT.

Vasco_Rojo and DarthCricketer like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The new EU has pretty much done away with "weak" Vader. I think "weak" Vader was an invention of Lucas who wanted Vader to be inferior to Anakin Skywalker.

120kg is a realistic weight. Muscles weigh a lot and I imagine even without armor he should clock in at 100kg, he's almost seven foot tall and very muscular.

14. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    And dense...
    :D

Darth_Pevra and DarthCricketer like this.