main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is there any chance snoke could be sidious?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DML3, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marsekay

Marsekay Jedi Master star 1

Oct 2, 2005

I'm in this camp. seems snoke was probably around during the training days. Luke obviously trusted him...
    I've a feeling luke went off on an errand or something and Snoke ****ed things up while he was gone.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Uncle Snokious?

3. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Snoke = Plagueis is my theory.

Sidious, he can never be. He doesn't possess the physical or mental characteristics of Darth Sidious, and he is long gone. RIP Sidious. :emperor:

4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

so let's say Snoke = Plagueis.

There is a big reveal in Episode VIII. "I am Darth Plagueis!"

99% of the audience goes "who's that?"

5. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    I always thought that the way Sidious' was killed by Anakin echoed the irony he spoke to Anakin about years prior regarding how Plagueis died. Plagueis was probably the most powerful sith who ever lived, but he was killed by his apprentice....in his sleep.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Snoke was definitely the most interesting character of the film IMO, because virtually nothing is given about who he is.

I definitely don't think he is Plagueis, and some of those concept pieces were based on old concepts for Sidious', but the final design didn't look anything like Sidious, IMO. He didn't even have the yellow eyes. Plus, I'd think that considering he got killed by a redeemed Vader that there is no way in hell a resurrected Sidious would knowingly take on another conflicted apprentice.

I think Snoke is merely a new character. And I'll be interested to see how he fits into things. He is allegedly very old, so his life would have overlapped with that of Palpatine's, despite the character having no apparent affiliation with the Empire at that time.

And while Snoke and Leia/Han seem to know of each other, I don't get the vibe that he was an apprentice of Luke like Kylo.

Any theory I have would just be a blind guess. I'm not sure what they are going to establish as his back story but I don't think he is a Sith or ex-Jedi.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    What if he is the son of Sidious?

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
  9. thoso1973

thoso1973 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 8, 2015
    Nope. Unless you want to completely destroy Vader/Anakins big redemption moment in ROTJ. Kasdan is not that stupid. Neither is Abrams.

10. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    3 things.

1. Snoke should NOT be Sidious.
    2. Snoke should NOT be more powerful than Sidious
    3. Snoke should NOT be Plageus (as it could potentially mean that number 2 above is in play)

Make him an ancient leader of the knights of Ren, which used the Dark Side, but identify themselves as a different philosophy than the Sith. But please, don't violate these three points above.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16

aardvark99 likes this.
  11. Obi-Wan-Jon

Obi-Wan-Jon Jedi Master star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    What if he's one of the Red Guards or a similar "affiliate" to Sidious? IDK I'm throwing stuff out there for discussion, who knows.

12. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015

I think there will be some explanation within the movie and dialogue. All that is required is to mention he was Sidious' master, the intention will probably be to spark curiosity in the audience rather than fully inform them. :D

It has been the case in many movies.

miasma and jaqen like this.
  13. Sunbloom

Sunbloom Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    Snoke is the father of Sidious? His long lost twin brother? (insert another soap cliche)

14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    What's with all the new guys making random half-thought threads?

Winged_Jedi and solo77 like this.
  15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

You're right, the general audience wouldn't get the significance of Darth Plagueis.

However many would get the significance of him being the Emperor's master.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Is Snoke actually Sidious? Oh, I hope not. I'd prefer that the go against the current trend by defeating and killing off a villain, and having said villain stay defeated and dead. When you keep resurrecting them, you start to doubt the effectiveness of the heroes.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  17. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    Very true! I could imagine the case to be a spark of curiosity in the audience, they go home and research about DP (that stands for Darth Plagueis, nothing else [face_plain]), there will be new articles titled 'So who is Darth Plagueis?' and that's it, welcome Darth Plagueis to 2017! :D

But like you mentioned, even mentioning he is the emperors master will show his significance.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Snoke, if we aren't going for the Wizard Of Oz Theory, is ancient. He isn't a product of the post-Endor times. He will somehow tie back to before the Prequels, which is why the Plagueis Theory is so popular. Someone Old and Dark who has defeated death.

I think he has a different character to Sideous. Unless he's lost his sense of humour and isn't cackling as much as he used to.

This movie has so many setups... characters and situations created and not really used. Things to play with in future movies.
    It may be that Kasdan has left it to Rian or Colin do decide what and who he actually is.

jaqen likes this.
  19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    He doesn't strike me as Sithly at all.

I'm wondering if he is more like Maz. An ancient being that knows of the Force by virtue of age and experience, but isn't attuned to it. If he turns out to be essentially an ancient con man that observed what Palpatine did and Vader did, and knows of the Sith and Jedi and how they operate.

It would account for claims that he is using Kylo for his power. Also that Snoke is very vulnerable.

I thought way back during OT production an early idea was that anyone could use the Force if trained and that Palpatine was merely a politician that was self-taught the Dark Side and turned Vader.

Lots of old ideas get revisited in Star Wars and perhaps Snoke is a revisit of that idea: just some ancient being that has developed some rudimentary skill with the Dark Side, enough to tempt Kylo Ren and use him as a pawn, but still nowhere near the skill that Vader and Palpatine had.

20. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    I'd be disappointed if Snoke was not Plagueis. It would bind all three trilogies together beautifully and there's no reason it wouldn't make sense. Plagueis' whole shtick was that he sought to cheat death, and having the main saga close with the true mastermind being defeated would be a great ending.

It doesn't need to be a big reveal for everyone. Either way he's just "an ancient evil" but at least with Plagueis there's a bit more substance and relevancy than if Snoke was a new character all together.

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    But how old is Plagueis?

It has been said that Snoke is ancient. And when I think ancient, I think in the ball park of 1,000 years ago. To me, the Renaissance isn't ancient. The Middle Ages aren't ancient. Roman history is ancient, the Phoenicians, King Tut, etc.

Maz was ancient.

The Sith Empire that fell during Darth Bane's time was ancient. And that Empire fell approximately 1,000 years prior to TPM. If Plagueis was a hundred years old or something like that, or even 200. I wouldn't consider him ancient. And while much of what had been established about Plagueis has been de-canonized, unless they establish that he was Bane's apprentice or had been alive for close to 1,000 years before finding Palpatine, then I just don't feel that Plagueis would fit the ancient criteria.

He wouldn't be old enough and I would just think that if he really did have the power to cheat death, that Palpatine would take the necessary precautions to be sure, such as hacking his head off or cutting him to pieces. Not just giving him some facial wounds and then leaving the body unattended and have it go missing.

22. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Snoke=Snoke. Do the math.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  23. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015

So much this. It would make too much sense for this to happen. It would work and would make people hate sidious even more.

Next movie Snoke/Sidious takes out Leia. He has a reason to track Luke down to kill him. "Your faith in your friends is your weakness" Remember that?

Take out lukes friends and defeat Luke.

24. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    For Snoke to be Sidious feels too ...Voldemort.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He's a got a little Sidious head growing out've the back of his head like a tumor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.