main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Is there any hope of a SW Celebration here?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Katana_Geldar, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I've been wondering that ever since CIV was announced and I was wondering if the chances were a bit better than an ice crystal on Tatooine.

There are quite a few Aussie and Kiwi SW actors (esp Jay and Temura). And from what I've heard of the American and British ones a lof of them like coming to Australia. George likes it here as well.

If it did happen, I'm betting Sydney or Melbourne as they have the convention centres, but what are they chances, really?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Snowball's in hell.

These things rely on moderate attendance to cover all the associated costs.

The US has 15x our population, plus it's much closer to Europe than our antipodean paradise.

More population + closer to Europe = more chances of more people coming, economies of scale, etc etc.

So yeah, no. Save your pennies and go next year.

E_S

3. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    A lucasfilm source said that if Australia could get a sponsor for the event, they'd gladly bring it down here.

The chances of getting a sponsor to cover those kinds of costs.....NIL.

Very sad really.

4. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    *cough*

Chris, now's the time to talk about Jedi-Force...it's like the not-so-awesomely-big-but-still-alright version :p

AND, then you tell us all about your C4 adventures!

5. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, as I'd already mentioned Jedi-Force '07 (to be held October 20th & 21st 2007 in Melbourne...see Star Walking Inc. for details) in another thread I didn't want it to sound like I was being pushy....wouldn't want some tyrant moderator to come crashing down on me. :)

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    It's okay, we don't let E_S moderate in here. :p

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'll repeat here what I said over on the CIV boards.

When talking to Steve Sansweet he said that they'd love to hold a Celebration here in Oz, and it's something that they have been considering. Like Chris has said, getting a sponsor would be needed, but Steve said that they'd be sitting down after CE is done and would look at the breakdown of attendance at CIV given the number of international people that attended. He mentioned that it would have to be Sydney or Melbourne given the requirements needed. A few of the authors and celebrities I talked to said they'd love to do one in Oz.

Also, you need to remember that anything held here wouldn't just attract the Aust and NZ fans, but also the Asian ones. Talking with one actor that did Japan, he said the fans were willing to fork over money, but the issues with conventions there had to do with organising groups and their connections with other elements of society.

I can say though that some SW authors are pushing their publishers to fund a tour here of Aust and NZ in the near future, especially given that we are the biggest buyers of SW novels after the US, and are the highest in terms of sales per capita.

8. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
  9. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    Speaking of which, I can't find any Jedi-Force thread on the Vic boards. It would be interesting to know if the guest list has moved beyond TBA since Ray Park and others will be here the week before :)

10. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    They could do a "Celebration Lite", being a run of the mill convention

11. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Chris, did you end up dropping by the Fan Force table during the con?

Also, my pics from C4.

12. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I did drop past and had a chat with some of the people there, but I didn't stay long (so much to do and so little time).

Steve did say that they'd gladly do a C4 type event down here if we could get a "seat Sponsor"....now I think that's a conpany that will garantee the number of attendees at the event. If we predict 20,000 people attending and only 10,000 show up, the sponsor pays for the empty seats....I think.

SO...anyone know a millionare Star Wars fan?

13. glennfett

glennfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2002
    hey guys,how are you??
    was lucky to meet some of you there,aleit in fleeting moments..hope you had as much fun as me,here are a link to my pics!!!cheers,Glenn.

http://www.mousedroid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2513

14. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Glenn....Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

So...started saving for C5 yet? I have. :)

We should co-ordinate our efforts and make a group booking next time, take the US be storm as it were.

15. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Has anyone heard anything about guests for Jedi Force in October in Melbourne?? lordvaderFF?? Anyone? Does anyone have any idea when guests might be announced?

16. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    No news yet.

HOWEVER....I did come home with a nice long list of contacts from CIV that might bare some fruit. :)

17. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    ka-CHING!

18. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you :) I won't be able to go to Jedi Force, but I know a number of SAFFers who are hoping to make the trip. It's always an exciting prospect to have a Star Wars themed event in oz ;)

19. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    While I was with Bruce Spence both he and Bonnie Piese (?) said that they want to do it, and were going to be checking their schedules to try and get there.

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    That would be awesome, it'd be nice to have some stars there, and Bruce is Aussie after all, so it'd be fitting to have him there! I'm heading across the border for this one. ;)

21. DJPJ

DJPJ Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2006
    Hi,

Peter Jordan here, Director of Star Walking Inc. We're in the process of obtaining guests for Jedi Force 07. Once we've got 'em bagged and tagged, we'll let everybody know.

Cheers,

pj

22. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    You're gonna kill them? :eek: I guess that will guarantee attendance! Just keep them on freeze till Oct! :p

23. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    So Steve's thinking of it? Sounds good, hope to hear a few rumbles.

And carbonite is SOOO appealing.

24. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I'd say that's his way of saying..."no chance"

They'd expect at least 20,000 people to attend to make it worth the effort, and let's face it...they won't get those sorts of numbers in Oz.

25. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Steve's the kind of guy who would say no if he meant it, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.