main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Is there any way to let Renee Hartevelt get her justice?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm really really sad and angry ever since I heard the story of the Japanese cannibal(He killed, dismembered and at this poor girl). He was able to walk free thanks to the French and Japanese court's wrong doing. The poor victim never gets her justice. Is there any possible way to help her get justice?

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This reads like a third grade book report.

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because it was so disgusting, I don't even want to type much about the crime and the trial.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Well... how do you figure discussion will generate?

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I dunno, it has been a few years since I read this story for the first time. But this is just keep torturing me every time I think of the poor victim and her family.

Ppl can find details through google, while the pics are quite gruesome.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, you started a discussion thread, without actually wanting to discuss the topic, and expect people to google to see what you're talking about?

I don't think you thought this one through.

7. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Listen, you didn't hear this from me.. but in 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A-Team.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I did want to talk about it, but it drove me crazy if I write more further details.

Ok, the murderer was Japanese, his name is something Sagawa. More than 30 years ago, in Paris, he invited a Dutch girl Renee Hartevelt to his home. He used a gun to kill the girl, raped her corpse and dismembered her to eat her body. Later he was found but due to his father being rich, the French court judged him as insane and locked in in a mental institution for 5 years. Then he was sent back to Japan, the Japanese police department found out that he was never insane, they tried to charge him with murder but the French refused to handle the files. So the Japanese police no longer had a legal reason to hold him. The murderer went free till today, he became a minor celebrity in Japan.

Is that enough?

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    wait so you're upset because they decided a necrophiliac cannibal was insane?

are you offended on behalf of necrophiliac cannibals everywhere?

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, the murderer only served 5 years in the mental institution then was able to walk free.

He was not mentally insane when the Japanese police checked.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I guess I understand being upset that legal technicalities kept this guy out on the streets... even if it's just one guy and there's no evidence he continues to kill people and according to Wikipedia he can't find work and feels suicidal so there's that. Also, legal insanity is very different than simply deeming someone mentally ill (there tends to be a much higher standard for legal insanity that doesn't really follow any defined medical criteria) and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. There's no reason to take the word of Japanese courts over French courts with regards to this necrophiliac cannibal's mental state.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So.... how exactly does a police officer determine if somebody is "mentally insane?"

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think it's singly one side's fault, however the French should have communicated with the Japanese and make sure he wouldn't get away. Having him locked up in either the prison or the mental institution would be fine, but he walked free just after 5 years. That's outrageous.

I study crimes and saw a lot of victims' family express their pain and loss. For this one, I couldn't think what would the victims' parents feel when this monster is walking free after what he did to their daughter.

They sent him to the doctors to check his "mental issue".

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Eh... crimes committed by those legally insane are tricky. You can't actually punish them and if the state determines they've become safe to be in society again that's it. Sucks for the victim and their family, but that's just how it works.

It's like a toddler grabbing a gun and shooting someone. You can't punish or blame them, they didn't know what they were doing. Someone may be dead... but 'justice' is almost always revenge. Someone robs you, they pay a fine, go to jail etc... Someone kills someone they go to jail, etc... in the end 'Justice' is always about trying to gain retribution. Getting retribution on someone who isn't capable of knowing what they are doing just isn't morally sound.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

yes but as a necrophiliac cannibal, how does this case -- and the potential stigma of mental illness being attached to necrophiliac cannibals -- make you feel?

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The "man" is not insane, according to the Japanese police.
    Even if the insanity worked on court, shouldn't they be kept in the mental institution for the rest of their life?

Honestly, I've studied a lot of cases and have seen more sick crimes, but the court was more disgusting than the criminal himself.

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Just because you are declared insane does not mean you can't be rehabilitated to be capable of moving back into the world.
    Why? Why should they be punished for something they didn't understand?

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Insane people commit killing pretty much=Getting locked away for the rest of your life, which was what he got at first.

Because we don't want to see more victims. If an animal was keep killing people we usually shot it down, it didn't understand doesn't mean we should allow it to walk free.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    But does that help anyone?

Because we are human beings and not animals. We rehabilitate and try to make people see what they did was wrong so they can go back into society. Wanting 'justice' benefits no one.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, it helps the victim to get their justice. If someone does not understand what killing is, they will not realize how is it wrong and they will continue to do it. Again, this "man" is not insane.

What makes you a human being? You have to know what's right and wrong, if you don't even understand murder, you become a danger to the society and has to be either locked down or shot down unless we want to see more victims.

Also I don't think you even read the story.

1. The murderer was sentenced to Life in mental institution.
    2. The Japanese law enforcement found he was not insane at all.
    3. The murderer didn't get released because some "rehabilitation", but the French refused to give the Japanese court files, so they no longer have a legal reason to hold him.
    4. He never realized his wrong doing, even wrote novels of this horrible crime.

Pls DO NOT twist this failure of law and justice to some "nice rehabilitation".

21. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Has he killed anyone else?

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He is a murderer, many murderers didn't kill anyone else before they were arrested, does that mean we should not charge him.

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    You said he was in a mental institution for five years before being sent back to Japan and being found not insane. So isn't in possible he was successfully rehabilitated in those five years?

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    She'll get her justice, when they get their justice!

[​IMG]

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Hmmmm... if we do ever gain the ability to bring the dead back to life I wouldn't be opposed to bring back criminals who escaped justice and sentence them.