main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there any way to speed up the download of multimedia files?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by KRASNOGORSK-3, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRASNOGORSK-3

KRASNOGORSK-3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Hi,

I've been converting .avi files to .mov files and tried to download one (at 2mb) to a free lycos website account. ...sometimes when it says it's done it doesn't show up in my FTP files? And it takes forever to download (though time consumption is expected). Sorry if this is a dumb question, but maybe I just need a specific free multimedia website builder that works better with this kind of stuff. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks guys.

Kras

2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Actually, when you put a file on a site, it's called uploading; Sorry if I'm mistaken. And the only way to speed it up is to get a faster connection.

~Neszis~

3. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Are you using the FTP client from Lycos or your own ? (like CuteFTP, FTP Explorer...)

Those free servers' FTP clients are really bad. Some of them even cut your trasnfer if it takes too long (which is a nightmare for 56K users) and most of them don't have a "resume transfer" option (which makes the nightmare even worse).

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if your transfer speed is slow if you are using their FTP client. Since I don't know why they're slow, I don't want to say anything stupid, but the fact is : I have observed that they are slow indeed. Might be traffic, speed cap, whatever... who knows...

Thus, if you are not using your own FTP client, may I suggest you download this FREE one : FTP Explorer

All you have to do is to set the FTP access to lycos using their FTP adress (which should be something like ftp.lycos.com... look for it somewhere in their help pages), your username and password. That might help your speed problem and will more than likely solve the problem of your files not showing up in your directory.

EDIT : And yes, putting files on a server is called "uploading" :)

4. KRASNOGORSK-3

Oct 27, 2002
    LoL, yes I meant uploading. :)
    I am using the FTP client from lycos. I wasn't aware you could get your own to make the uploading process work better. Thanks much for the link. I'll download that program and set it to my lycos account immediately. I have a slow connection, well, 56K modem. The only thing holding me back from getting DSL is the extra cash.
    But -- I will download that FTP file and see how it goes. Thanks again fellas. :D

Kras

5. ucahg

ucahg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    It also depends on how much throughput your host will let you use, how many users are connected to the host, etc.

6. KRASNOGORSK-3

Oct 27, 2002
    Thanks.
    Does anyone know of a good paying host site incase I decide to go down that route?

Kras

7. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
  8. KRASNOGORSK-3

Oct 27, 2002
    Great. Thanks. :) I'll look into that....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.