main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is there anyone who actually likes the concept of Midi-chlorians?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    How are their attitudes wrong? How is it known that the existence of midichlorians and their connection to the Force were common knowledge twenty years earlier? We only saw the Jedis' perspective on midichlorians in the PT... "normal" people probably hadn't heard of them back then either.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Jedi generals led a war for the republic 20 years , they are common knowledge. Their abilities and tactics would be well known to military officers. We aren't talking about a secret order.

In AOTC the Jedi follow the shapeshifter into the bar, and after they disarm her they tell the people that this is "Jedi business", the way a police officer would. The Trade Federation and their droids knew full well what the Jedi were in TPM and what threat they posed.

The Jedi were just a fact of life, like the KGB.

I'm not going to argue with you, if you think it makes sense have at it.

I think it's basically a mess.

These men in ANH lived through a different history than the one we saw in the PT.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So is it midichlorians that bother you or their dismissiveness of the Force? Nobody said that the military officers in that meeting didn't know what Jedi were. Nothing they say in that meeting is at odds with them knowing what the Jedi did and what their involvement in the Clone Wars was.

4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Both. Their attitude may have made sense had the order died out further in the past, and perhaps not been so central in galactic affairs. But the attitudes, and the ages, of the characters in ANH do not match up with the PT and it's setting well.

And we are going to have to disagree about "nothing they say is at odds", obviously we don't agree on that at all.

You are free to disagree.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The fact of midichlorian count testing for Jedi candidates tells us something, as does the implication that Yoda may have a high count.

When it comes to the order dying out it's not the PT that is the problem. According to the OT Luke's father was a Jedi. If Luke's father was a Jedi the order could not have died out further in the past.

T-R- likes this.
  6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

You make the character of Anakin older. That's part of the problem, Lucas changed the story so that he could introduce us to a nine year old Anakin.

That problem of ages shows up in Kenobi, too. He's a Jedi master at the height of his power in III, and then he's an old weak man in IV. He's missing around 20 or 30 years. And yes, I've seen all the "explanations" for that in the past.

Although I do agree with the point that making Vader Luke's father did complicate several things.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It doesn't matter if you make him older. He's still going to be a part of a Jedi order that died out more recently. Unless you think he was supposed to have been happily married for years after turning to evil.

From the ROTJ script: When your father left, he didn't know your mother was pregnant.

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The order could have been trouble for decades instead of being at the center of galactic events only 20 years in the past. The clone wars could have happened earlier, the order could have been in hiding, there are many things they could have done.

Anakin could have been a member of an order that was in hiding.

The story could have been much different

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Good thing about Star Wars is their dialog had nothing to do with midichlorians and everything to do with faith and religion. TESB went a step further: do or do not, is not tied to cell counts. Yoda told us exactly, why Luke could not lift his ship from the swamp... young Skywalker failed because he did not believe.

For me, Midichlorians just get in the way.:p

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Like, like, a thousand times like!!!!!!!!!

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How, if they are not contradicting anything? The power of belief is not denied by them.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How the hell are they necessary though? The explanation of the Force in the OT was perfect without them.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    NINJA'd!!! And, THIS.
    Then, they are superfluous.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The midi-chlorians don't explain the Force. They merely explain how and why some people are Force sensitive while others aren't.

Not contradicting doesn't mean irrelevant. ;)

T-R- likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    That's why Luke could not lift his ship from the swamp.

As to the question of why the average person couldn't lift a ship from a swamp?

Because they're not Luke, whether they believe or not.

Prodigy_Knight, T-R-, eht13 and 2 others like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But why did we need such an explanation?

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Crude writing this is, not this luminous story!

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    If something is needless, then it is irrelevant to me.

19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Maybe Sx3 has zero midi-chlorians. :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    To show how Luke's father came to be inducted into the order.

eht13 likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Again, to explain how and why some people are Force sensitive while others aren't (which is the basis for Ben and Yoda to pick Luke and not an average Joe, and why there is only "another" hope).

But it needs to be needless in the first place. Which it isn't.

eht13 likes this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, no matter we think of the midi-chlorians, the fact still remains that by TESB Yoda is convinced that their flesh and bone vessels is nothing compared to what the Force in itself can offer them beyond their existence in the temporal world. Whether this is something Yoda came to terms with at this time in his life, or something he's always believed in, it's probably all attributed to what Qui-Gon Jinn had discovered and revealed to them when he returned from the ethereal realm.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's probably one of the better attempts to reconcile these two disparate ideas that I've seen on here.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I definitely have zero midichlorians.

I'm just not sure why I'm supposed to care.

CT-867-5309 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  25. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    this thread makes me dizzy :p

All I'm reading is

"they're irrelevent"

"no they aren't"

"yes they are"

"no they aren't"

to me midichlorians got messy in ROTS, "INFLUENCING MIDICHLORIANS TO CREATE LIFE" and all that hoo-haa, in my opinion in that scene Palpatine was talking complete and utter crap, no matter how many people wave Plagueis the novel under my nose, Palpatine was just trying to turn Anakin with a story he'd just made up

As to whether midis themselves do anything negative to the story..not really, nor do they make the story better either.

I'd much rather Qui-Gon convince himself that Anakin was worth training by witnessing Anakin do more Jedi like things, ie: using reflexes, seeing more things before they happen, force calling things unintentionally heck even building himself his own "laser sword"

but eh I digress

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.