main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is there anywhere where I can read forum member's reactions to Episode I at release?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by J.J.Abrams, May 25, 2014.

1. J.J.Abrams

J.J.Abrams Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2014
    I imagine this would be hilarious, a lot of hate and denial going on with the occasional Crucifixion.

whostheBossk and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The original forums that were in place in 1999 was different from the IGN boards that were in place by the time AOTC came out. I think some stuff was lost in the transition.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think darth-sinister is correct that some of the Episode I material was lost in the several server and board migrations.

5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    [​IMG] [/quote]

6. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow, thanks for the link to the AOTC pages! I didn't truly 'discover' Star Wars until 2007, so it's really cool to go back and read fan reactions.

This set of posts made me laugh:

"The CLONE WARS!

how cool would that be?"

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars? Very repetitive."

Heh. If only they knew. XD

edit: Could anyone link to a similar thread for ROTS? That would be amazing!

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Not forum members (well, who knows? :) ), but immediate reactions from "special audiences", inculding Shaquille O'Neal (from about 5.25 min onwards):

Seems like an innocent time, 1999.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not sure if regular users can view our Inactive Forums, but there is an old TPM board here. I think it pre-dated our use of the PT board for the combined PT discussion. There is also an old AOTC board in the same section.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    LAJ_FETT Let me check. I did not see anything before.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
  12. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Vintage September 6, 1999:
    http://www1.theforce.net/forum/Forum7/HTML/002234.html

Depending on how archeological you are, you can use advanced search, plug all years back to 2000 into the DON'T, plug 'phantom menace tpm' into the ANY, and plug theforce.net into the domain. The story is frequently the same that no one page has working links to any one other page. Much was lost.

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Yeah, I can see everything. Thank you for linking that part of the forum. I wasn't registered then and it's nice to read some of the comments from years ago.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that those older forums might be incomplete. I think we've done 2 or 3 moves since 2000. I know we moved from Snowboards to IGN prior to our move to Xenforo. When I joined in 2002 we were on IGN. I know if you go into very old archived threads there are missing posts - I saw that on YJCC when we were on the IGN boards.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's the gist of it. I didn't start lurking on the boards regularly until the fall of 2000, but I garner a peak the previous year when "Vector Prime" came out and was seeing what all the hoopla was about with the book. The boards were very different back then. And yes, there was a lot of server problems in 2000 after the move to IGN. One of the more noteworthy ones in the day was the midnight bug. At midnight pacific standard time, the boards would crash for a few minutes and become inaccessible for ten to fifteen minutes. Back 2001-2004, I used to be up at around that time, checking posts and talking to certain people and it was a pain when that happened. It was worse in 2001 in that the crashes would happen during the day.

So it isn't surprising some things were lost.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, that midnight bug (when the boards did the date roll and other scheduled tasks like autolocking old threads) got me quite a few times. Being in the UK, I'd be trying to mod early from work and the admin section and mod controls would be sluggish at best and nonfunctional at worst til the jobs finished. That seemed to ease off after Zerosleep (IGN board programmer) and others did the code rewrite from .asp to .aspx. Of course that introduced its own bugs.

17. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Good thread. It's a shame that some forum history was lost.

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ah, I remember that Snowboards. That's the one with the odd big bold text.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I never saw the boards on Snowboards so I couldn't say. I came in at IGN.

20. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I don't know what's more surreal, seeing a piece of news media treats Episode 1 in an overwhelmingly positive light, or the nostalgia blast I got from seeing the Pepsi kid interview Sporty Spice.