main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is there going to be more novels besides the Aftermath trilogy set between ROTJ and TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    As much as I'm looking forward to the Aftermath trilogy. I hope to see more epic hardcover novels with the Big 3(Luke,Han and Leia) set between ROTJ and TFA. I hear Han and Chewie lose the Falcon to some thugs shortly before TFA. That means there will be plenty of room for novels with Han and Chewie flying the Falcon across the galaxy in some early space battles against the First Order or some other threats to the galaxy like space pirates or even Mandlorians or perhaps I hope threats from the Unknown Regions. Luke could have some cool adventures across the galaxy looking for new Jedis and Leia could lead the Resistance in some cool space battles against the First Order before TFA.

I hope they bring back Tim Zahn, Troy Denning and maybe even James Luceno to write a trilogy or two with the Big 3 after the Aftermath trilogy is finished in 2016 and we can expect to see some Big 3 ROTJ/TFA books in 2016 and 2017 and after Episode VIII comes out we can see hardcovers with Luke and co. and the new heroes set between TFA and Episode VIII in late 2017 and 2018. Then in 2019 after Episode IX is out there will be hardcovers with Luke and co. and the new heroes between Episodes VIII and IX and eventually novels set after IX with the new heroes taking the reigns leading up to the SST(Episodes X-XII) coming out around 2025 or 2027.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    The members that we have that are able to read the future have not spoken up on this issue. However, it is a safe bet that there could be books, comics or even some level of TV (animated or otherwise). We have a ton of material that covers a small handful of years. A 30 year gap is pretty broad. That is just speculation though.

That also depends on what scope that the Aftermath Trilogy will cover.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
  4. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You really think that 3 novels will cover 30 years? Not likely. This trilogy is just the beginning.

Revanfan1 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  6. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    There will likely be more. From what little we know so far, the Empire surrenders about a year after ROTJ, specifically after the Battle Of Jakku. There's at least 29 years worth of stories they can tell after that before TFA takes place.

7. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    So long as enough people are buying the things and Disney hasn't earmarked a character/timeline for a possible movie, I imagine you'll see novels squeezing in anywhere they can.

8. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    As others have said...

Considering there is almost 30 years between the two trilogies, I'm sure there might be another novel or two... Maybe a couple of games... A movie here and there... 1,000 toys... T-shirts... Bed sheets... Band-aids... Etc...

Disney will find a way to exploit this period... (In a good way)

9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    There could very well be, so without actual insider knowledge I'd say maybe, but I'd guess that it's more likely than that so I'll change my answer to probably.

10. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    The Empire surrendering is not at all what I've gathered from reading MSW. On the contrary,
    it seems as if the Empire managed to rebuild the chain of command and retained control of the Core and Inner Rim following a treaty after the Battle of Jakku.
    But it's somewhat confusing and I guess we won't find out exactly what happened before a few more months.

11. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    What if Luke's excile is part of the treaty? Or at least it is forbidden to establish a Jedi order? Maybe he tried it despite that it was forbidden? [face_thinking]

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  12. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

That's an interesting suggestion. It's the first reason for Luke being absent that I can actually understand (to a degree).

nightangel likes this.
  13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I can imagine a scenario like this after the battle of Jakku:

Both the empire and rebels lost big parts of their fleet, so both need a treaty
    Someone makes public that Darth Vader was a Skywalker and Luke is his son
    Luke is still enemy number 1 for the empire, since he is supposed to have killed the emperor + Vader
    The rebels are not so happy to hear that Luke is the son of the most evil man in the galaxy
    So they kind of sign a treaty that no Jedi/Sith/Force users are allowed to be established
    Since it is quite impossible to imprison the former rebel hero Luke Skywalker, he is ordered to go into excile.

Luke leaves with keeping the secret that Leia is a Skywalker as well
    Luke still has contact with Han/Leia etc. and tries to fulfill 'pass on what you have learned'.
    Then forces destroy the academy when they find out about it.

14. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    This is what's interesting me,new novels new stories, the OT novels are a tedium that I wished I never purchased and simply rented/borrowed from the library. I own just about all of the EU in novel and audio book form, baring the YA stuff and I love it-listening to 'Omen' now at work- but I'm not married to it and I'm genuinely looking forward to the New 'whathappendsaboutRoJT' novels.

WHAT leads Luke to his disappearance. Is it a self imposed exile like in FoTJ? I clearly understand capitalism and love it (I'm a Libertarian-love Ayn Rand) but the clear ca$h grab is leaving bile in my mouth. Outside of a New Dawn the other novels simply aren't needed. Why do we need to know about a bad guy that is 30+ years long dead? (perhaps because Tarkin will have an 'Heir' or family member in EPVII?)
    Admittedly 'Heir' had my interest piqued and it was a nice nostalgic view on a bumbling Luke that is unsure of himself-in comparison to the GM Luke in the EU. But again not needed. 'Dark Disciple' again not needed but a fun romp through TCW era and up to this point clearly the best of the new bunch.

kip73 likes this.
  15. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    That's cool, Granek. I consider myself to be a Ron Paul disciple...lol... I remember when I was younger and heard him put his beliefs and positions out there... I was like "man that's exactly how I feel!"

Onto the topic, I think there may be more books aside from the Aftermath trilogy but it won't really spoil anything in TFA.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Probably. The comics and films will not cover everything. I am skipping everything though. I want some surprises going into TFA and I've always been burned by Star Wars novels anyway.

17. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Agreed. So long as they put out new and interesting stories set between ROTJ and TFA fans will likely eat up any forthcoming NEU novels.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I expect they will milk SW into the ground.

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Which has NEVER happened with Star Wars before...

20. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Well considering Tarkin did have a role in Rebels and probably will continue to have a role saying that his book is not needed isn't true though and also Lords of the Sith I believe (haven't read it) has mentions to Cham who is Hera's father so maybe its not needed for the TFA but for Rebels it expands that era of story.

21. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    James Luceno should do another Han Solo novel but set sometime shortly before TFA where Han and Chewie have one last mission on the Falcon before losing it and then explain how it ended up on Jakku.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.