main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is this a mistake?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth--Anguish, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth--Anguish

Darth--Anguish Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2003
    At the end of ROTJ when Luke is hiding under the stairs, Vader is walking around with his saber in his right hand. But when he turns to his right, you can see what looks to be the handle to his saber in the left hand. Did somebody get mixed up. I'm mean it is dark afterall.

2. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Probably. Stuff like that happens all the time. Either they were filming and forgot which hand it was in for that shot, or the film got reversed at some point. There's times when Boba Fett's antenna is on the wrong side, and a shot where Obi-Wan's mole and padawan braid are switched.

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Actually, that is Luke's saber he is holding, not his own. It was cut from ROTJ, but apprently Luke lost his saber and just when he shouts "Nooooo" he Force Pulls the saber to his hand then attacks Vader.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, technically it wasn't "cut" as Luke has his saber in his hand when he shouts "No!", so it must have been "changed", not "cut" :p

5. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Yeah, in the shooting script, Luke rolls his lightsaber out into the open to show that he refuses to fight, and Vader picks it up. Then when Luke yells "NEVER!!" (or "NO!" or whatever it is), he uses the Force to pull it back. It was filmed and later cut, but remains in the novelization.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's Luke's saber.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    So, yeah, it's a "mistake", but only in the sense that they had already filmed it, and weren't in the age of digitally erasing things yet.

I'm glad they cut that part out thought. I mean, if Luke had rolled his saber out to Vader, all Vader would have had to do to find Luke would to be just follow the path from where the saber was rolled from! :p

And that woulda make for an even bigger "plot hole" or some such rubbish. :p

8. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    "Actually, that is Luke's saber he is holding, not his own. It was cut from ROTJ, but apprently Luke lost his saber and just when he shouts "Nooooo" he Force Pulls the saber to his hand then attacks Vader".

When does he yell Nooo. If you mean when he attacks Vader, he yells Darth. It says so in the screenplay. But that would have been cool to see Luke use the force to grab his saber and then attack Vader. The scene is great but that would have been brilliant.

9. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Sure sounds like he says "No!" to me. I wouldn't trust screenplays. Things change when on the set.

10. QuiGonHrafn

May 25, 2002
    Maybe. I always thought he said no until I read the screenplay and saw the subtitles on one of the tv stations here in Iceland. Two explanations:
    a) he is yelling no to the shocking proposal that Leia would be tempted by Vader/Palpatine.
    b) Darth indicates that he doesn't see him as Anakin Skywalker but as the evil Darth Vader. And therefore he attacks him.

Both could work but for me it is more powerful with the second explanation. But then again Luke is known to yell No during the original films (e.g. Obi Wan's death) just like McGregor does in the TPM/AOTC.

11. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    When I was little, I always thought he was yelling "Darth!" Then years later, I started alternating between hearing "No!" and "Never!"

12. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    the script I read said "never!", I always thought it was just sounds of rage, not necessarily even words, more like a battle cry

but another blooper I noticed during those scenes is when Luke is on that catwalk overhead and Vader throws his lightsaber at him and knocks the catwalk down....if you play that scene in slo-mo you will see that the red blade is coming out of the wrong end of the saber....it's attatched to the bottom of the handle, not at the tip where the blade is supposed to come out of.....I know it's a small mess up, but it still bugs me now that I noticed it lol

13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Okay, we've got "Darth," "No," and "Never!" Let's look at which would work best with the line preceeding it.

[i][b]Vader:[/b] If you will not be turned to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will.[/i]

-With the line "...Perhaps she will" seems to indicate that Luke would say "NEVER!" as in, he'll never let that happen.

-"NO!" of course, works too: Luke is simply in denial (usually a person's first reaction) about the whole thing.

-"DARTH!" just doesn't work at all, lol. Why in the world would he be yelling his Dad's name? I mean, what's he saying... "YO! DARTH! I'M OVER HERE WITH THE SABER!" ?
    [hr]

Needless to say, I think it's "Never!"

14. QuiGonHrafn

May 25, 2002
    I explained it before - it is the moment he sees him as Darth Vader, the evil person who killed all the Jedi and his mentor Obi Wan, but not as his father.

I checked the screenplay again and it doesn't say Darth. Luke says never - it must have been those ridicilus subtitles that got me confused (but I still believe I have seen it as Darth in some kind of version of a screenplay). Well, I guess that settles it. But I still think it would have been powerful if he had said Darth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.