main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is this Cardinal's Convention headed by the Pope actually going to solve anything?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    I admit that I haven't heard of this author (I'll look him up when I get some free time). But, I imagine that he's either a very liberal Catholic (and I use the term Catholic loosely) or not a Catholic at all. Certainly I doubt that he's any kind of Vatican insider who would know better than anyone else what happened to John Paul 1.

2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    He's a British investigative author. Just examine the evidence as it is presented and make up your own mind.

The whole John Paul I fiasco is public knowledge. It was the world's biggest scandal when he died in 1978. You guys are probably too young to remember it.

There are many books and articles on the corruption of the Vatican Bank. Just do a Google search and you'll probably have enough material to occupy you for months.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I just think the Roman Curia have forgotten what Jesus was all about.

3. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Anybody see Godfather III...?

4. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i rather hope the catholic church implodes, it would be interesting to see what happens

5. Darth Rayder

Oct 14, 1999
    ::rolls eyes::

People hoping for my religion to self-destruct. How wonderfully tolerant.

6. Shedao15

Shedao15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Uh Godfather III was a movie, and completley fictional.

However, I do recall--I think it was sometime back in the 80's--that the Archbishop in charge of the Vatican bank was found hanging by rope under a bridge...and the police ruled out suicide as the cause of death. The Captain of the Swiss Gaurds (Vatican's Army for those of you who don't know) was investigating and was found dead shortly thereafter, no suspects in either of the murders.

Now have there been Corrupt Vatican Bank Officials? yes. Have there been corrupt Popes? yes. However, just because one is doesn't mean the other is. Not only that the Curia is an enourmously large organization made up of thousands of workers and officials. With hundreds of Congregations and dicasteries. To imply that all are corrupt is stretching things. Some have been, its hard to say if there are any now. There very well may be, however, under Pope John Paul II's pontificate things have been pretty squeky clean (cept for the forementioned incident). So either your dealing with the smartest criminals on the face of the earth...or as of right now there is no significant corruption. Doesn't mean there hasn't been, and doesn't mean there won't be. Just means right at this moment.

Also, we need to establish somthing. Sometimes officials do the wrong thing but aren't corrupt. Rather they misplace they're priorities. A clergyman's number one priority is to serve God, and his church. But...his secondary priorty is to protect the church from scandal and harm. That is secondary. Sometimes clergy in there zealousness to protect the church forget their primary goal. An eample would be His Eminence Bernard Cardinal Law. He wasn't corrupt, he got his priorites mixed up, he forgot that his first duty was to oust sexual abusers not protect them. For this he caused much harm to an inumerable amount of people. The majority of Deacons and Priests are good. The majority of Bishops are good. Most Bishops did what His eminence Cardinal Law did not...turnn the offender over to the police ASAP. I think a great example of what a Bishop should be is the Bishop of Rome, John Paul II. We need to see past the actions of a few offenders and look at the whole and see it is good. The Catholic church doesn't claim to be exempt from corruption, and even at times admits it is. There is no hypocrisy in that regard. All it says is that it is merley human and will do its best. That is more than what most gov'ts and other business's have to say.

7. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    i rather hope the catholic church implodes, it would be interesting to see what happens

Wow, your logic amazes me.

8. Darth Rayder

Oct 14, 1999
    It doesn't amaze me, so much as frightens me.

9. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    "The Catholic church doesn't claim to be exempt from corruption, and even at times admits it is."

-When did the Church do this? for real?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.