main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is THX-1138 worth my time?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by LeeKenobi, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dontkillyoda

dontkillyoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2003
    I really enjoy this film.

Donald Pleasence is fun to watch.

I'm so glad its coming to DVD with a little bit of a CGI dust off.

I was afraid George might hide from it or that it might die due to the impatiences of todays movie viewing audience.

The film is an artistic film of sorts with a poignant message.

Not all films need to have a lightning pace and heavy set Hollywood stereo typical dialog and drama to entertain.

This film is Georges version of 1984.

It's a bleak account of a future we are lucky not to share or foresee as a possible.

It is what ultimately gave him access to Hollywood.

I hope that any one interested, gives it a chance when it surfaces on DVD. I'm sure the cars and the robots will look up to date with the refacing. I hope some of the more stark scenes are not cut. The nudity needs to remain as well as the attempted rape. The film is what it is and I hope that isn't altered. It's still a brilliant movie by todays standards. It was the matrix of it's day. I'm only 26 years old. So I hope that says something about it's audience.

2. JediMasterDylan

JediMasterDylan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 8, 2003
    According to this old THX fan site Lucas had some temporary plans for a THX-1138 TV miniseries spin off on Fox. Wonder whatever happened to it? In any case I need to watch this. I hope the DVD also has the original with no updated CGI as an option.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/4456/thx1138.html

3. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

THX 1138 has a 100% rating at rotten tomatoes.

4. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

The nudity needs to remain as well as the attempted rape. The film is what it is and I hope that isn't altered. It's still a brilliant movie by todays standards. It was the matrix of it's day. I'm only 26 years old. So I hope that says something about it's audience.

The Matrix...excellent comparison...in it's own low-budget way, THX does "echo" the Matrix, though it contains no martial arts. I really hope people in their teens and twenties will be openminded about it.

5. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I'll definitely check this out when it is released on dvd. September 14... not long to wait.

Hm, says on Amazon if you preorder it from there, you will get a free replica of the THX-1138 ear tag.

6. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Naaaah most people are not very openminded about movies nowadays. They get easily dazzled by the flashy but empty entertainment. Some people I know, long time moviegoers have even fallen a bit for it though. Just go to any shopping mall or listen to people before a regular movie starts or after it ends.

Fortunately there is still plenty of people (all ages) that will certainly appreciate it.

7. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Fortunately there is still plenty of people (all ages) that will certainly appreciate it.

I agree...it's not gonna be hugely popular,
    but it will attract a new generation of followers.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    For me the movie is only interesting because Lucas wrote & directed it. If anyone else had made it, I doubt I'd have made the effort to sit through it.

IMO it's an hour too long. I'd love to see the original short film (on the DVD I hope?), because I don't think there's enough plot to sustain it as a full length feature.

9. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    this is the best student/art film of all time. a must watch for anyone with a living brain.

10. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    What'd you like so much about it, starwarsagent?

11. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Just bought the DVD...I would tell everyone who's interest in Lucas like I am to get this DVD immediately. It's quite interesting.

I haven't had a chance to watch the film yet (waiting to bombard the wife with it) but from what I can tell from the trailers on the second disc, the transfer is beyond excellent. The last time I saw the film was 2 years ago on a crappy VHS copy. Those trailers on the second disc give the film the proper justice it deserves. And the added visual effects enhance the film in every way.

This is a nice supplement to the Original Trilogy DVDs.

12. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    this is the best student/art film of all time.

The feature film was not made whilst Lucas was a student.

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Here's a great review of the DVD from CHUD:

Click here.

I can't wait to pick this up. As both a sci-fi/fantasy fan and Lucas fan, it's a no-brainer purchase.

14. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    The great and original thing about THX-1138 is that it isn't an US against THEM film. There are no villains, there's no hidden agenda, there's no oppressive regime. The citisens of this place and time have brought this on them selves through perhaps eons of self inflicted solitude from the outside world. They at some point placed their faith in industry rather than human emotion.

We see hints of this in flims like the Matrix, Equalibrium and 12 monkeys. The diffference is is those films there is always some person responsible or a beaurocracy that runs it all "for the good of the people". What makes THX-1138 a braver film is that the blame is placed in the hands of those citisens that exist there, and even that is a stretch since everyone is dumbed down on drugs.

It's a film about the testement that the Industrial Revolution brought to humanity in the way it regards humans as expendable to keep the machine running. In many ways that mentality still exists today in the most civilised and "free" countries of the world.

THX-1138 reminds us that we are our worst enemy. That if we can't learn to live with our own imperfections, accept that all people are different in ideology, and educate our children on the dangers of automation and social distinction, that we could very well end up like those people: paranoid, self-diluted and brainwashed.

I really love this film and everyone who cherishes their humanity and liberty should really go see it. I just wish I could find out where it's playing since the big screen is "where it's at" so to speak.

Also on a side note regarding a commentary on 2001: A Space Oddysey, the film is designed by Stanley Kubrick (the director) to lull the audience into a false sense of security. That is why all throughout the film at the beginning where "Man" is so called savage there is the feeling of fear and anarchy whereas in the later technological times everything is calm and serene with a nice peaceful score in the background to further this illusion.

The film finnishes with paranoia and fear AGAIN as "Hal" the computer tries to kill the humans involved in the story. As a reslut through much of the film it can get tiresome but that was a decision Kubrick must have decided to accept to maintain his vision of the project.

2010 was a decent film in its' own rite due to a good cast and nice visuals but doesn't hold a candle to 2001. I've never read the books so perhaps my concept of its' meaning is flawed, which is ok because seldom does film and novel exist in the same vision anyway. They are separate things.

15. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Just watched it on DVD. Impressive. It was truly the Matrix of its time. Skeptical at first, but after 88 minutes of THX-1138, GL's redeemed himself in my book.

16. Mister_Sidious

Mister_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    I just bought it on DVD, watched it and was totally blown away! I can't belive I haven't seen this movie until now! I tried to watch it years ago on full-screen VHS, but couldn't get through it because of the poor quality of the format. But now that I've seen it the way it was intended to be seen, coupled with the context of living in a post-September 11th world, I thought it was absolutely incredible in every way. Three decades ahead of its time in my opinion. And the restoration and digital improvements really have made this an extremely enjoyable film for me.

The images are so clear, it could've been filmed yesterday. Its influence on modern films (like the editing of "Requiem For a Dream" for example, and others) also becomes apparent. And the story's underlying metaphoric cautionary tale aimed at the current direction of our civilization is as poignant today in the 21st century(or even perhaps moreso) as it was when it was originally released in 1970.

It just serves as further proof that George Lucas has a much greater knowledge and understanding of how society works (behind the scenes) than anyone gives him credit for. He is the only one talking about the issues that matter most, and he does it without cramming it down your throat. In fact, he doesn't address the issues at all. Instead, he wraps them up in special effects, achetypal characters and an engrossing story, tapping directly into our psyche.

He likes to come across as a Walt Disney-esque movie mogul pushing buttons to create blockbusters that feed into a seemingly endless toy factory...

But, in reality, he may be the most influential activist of our time.

I love Star Wars. But honestly, I welcome it's end in May. I can't wait to see what more is swimming around awaiting production in the mind of this visionary director.

Thank you, Mr. Lucas for another amazing gift you have bequeathed to us (then and now). THX-1138 is truly a must-see for all.

17. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    What'd you like so much about it, starwarsagent?

I just purchased the dvd. havent seen the new version. but i can tell you what i liked about it. its futuristic views. i really didnt care too much about the actors, the story, or the effects. but rather the message behind it and the way the future was perceived back then in the 60s. afraid of atomic bombs, goverment control and drugs. the problem that lucas had was that he went way beyond his time. he tought that this could happen in the year 2000, when it actually will happen at a later time. maybe in the year 2100 or so. but this is what the future will definitely be like. if bush continues in the white house. he will create this world. we will get bombed and we will all have to live underground. its not too far fetched. and no one will be allowed to leave. this is more like a prophecy than a movie.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I just want to confirm that the guy does in fact say: "I think I ran over a wookie" I was watching it with the subtitles because some of the dialogue is tough to hear.

This movie is great, and it holds up today rather nicely. It was ahead of it's time. I just think audiences weren't ready back when it was first released.

It's definately an experience. You have to devote your full attention to it, turn out the lights, make sure you have been to the bathroom ahead of time, and have your snacks and drinks on hand, ready to go.

The claustrophobic nature of the film just builds and builds until the final release at the very end. It's almost like a sensory deprivation kind of a thing.

19. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I bought THX 1138. It's a fascinating film, full of stark, antiseptic imagery, odd noises, and unconventional wisdom.

The final sequence hints at Lucas' action bravado that he's commonly known for, not to mention it's just another example of his love for speed and racing.

One of the best DVD purchases I?ve made all year?or yet.

The picture and sound quality are as good as it could possibly be for a film of this age.

Buy it.

20. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    To me it is a wonderfull flim.
    But to you thats your choice on if you wanna see it or not.

21. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I love it, but if you don't like experimental movies chances are big that you're not gonna like it that much. Personally I think everyone should see it just to see that there are other ways to make movies than just Hollywood mainstream!

22. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I finally saw THX 1138. I love it, it's great. [face_love]

23. leechingrabbit

leechingrabbit Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2004
    you know I have always thought it was Lucas's vision of what the Empire would be like after it had completly conquered the galaxy , no rights, total control, blandness.

24. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    leechingrabbit, youre right: An absolute world build out of mere black and whites. Good observation.

I wonder if he's referring to empirical science as well...

And yes a really great, great movie. He is the prophet of our times.

25. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    (1st post in LFP!)

I agree with my fellow Rush fan above and the others who like THX 1138. I had never seen it before, so I don't know what changes have been made in CG for this release, but after watching it many times now and listening to Lucas and the others, I think this is probably the best pure Sci-Fi I can recall. The film is disturbing in a subtle way, especially given it's mirroring of our corporate-consumerist anti-intellectual culture. "Buy more, buy more....buy....and be happy."

Is it worth your time? I say yes! Give it a chance and it will challenge you - which is what Art is supposed to do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.