main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is THX-1138 worth my time?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by LeeKenobi, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Dreamer

Sith_Dreamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I bought it yesterday, and for growing up with Lucas projects like Star Wars and Indiana Jones for the 16 years I've been alive, this movie was a totally different experience from anything I had seen from Lucas before. I loved it, but it got a little overwhelming and confusing at one point or another. After a rewatch though, everything cleared up for me, and I have to say, it was definetely worth my buy and time watching it. Awesome movie.

2. GrandAlmightyMaster

GrandAlmightyMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2003
    Does anyone know where to find THX-1138 in novel form or if they plan to release it with a new cover like they did for Star Wars.

3. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    There are usually a few on eBay (two at the moment). If they were going to reprint the novel, I think they would have done so already to coincide with the DVD release hype. :)

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought it was a good and interesting movie. Haven't gotten around to watching the original student film yet though.

5. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    My college's sci-fi group showed the director's cut of THX 1138 this evening. Never saw the movie before, but AMAZING. That's all I'll say for now...

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Giving this a bump.

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

For a complete understanding of George Lucas and Star Wars, it helps to have seen THX 1138.
    The average member of the public may not like it, but for film aficianados, film students and aspiring filmmakers this is a must see. This is where Lucas and Star Wars began. The basics are there. It's abstract, technically brilliant for it's time, and done on a miniscule budget of $ 777,000 (so I've heard.) And remember...this film was based on Lucas's award winning student short, THX 1138 Electronic Labyrinth, which brought him enormous attention on the film festival circuit and in Hollywood. He took his short and expanded it to a feature. All the Lucas themes about leaving home, escaping confinement, AND fulfilling one's destiny are present in embryonic form in THX 1138.

8. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    The MAKING of THX-1138 will tell you a lot more about Lucas, Star Wars and his empire and business philosophy than anything the movie will tell you aesthetically. A lot of people on here make assumptions about ole George and his big fat pile of cash, but really seeing how his formative years pre-Star Wars came to be tells a lot about the psychology of Lucas and gives insight to the decisions he made and the decisions he does not WANT to make.

I blame Coppola mostly, the bleedin' heart arteest ;)

9. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    No, actually it gives you both stories, the aesthetic AND the business end. It especially gives you the aesthetic if you listen to the commentary by Lucas and Walter Murch. But THX led to this business conversation: (I'm paraphrasing this much told story)

PARAMOUNT STUDIO EXECUTIVE on the phone: We would like to hire you to direct the Godfather.

Coppola puts his hand over the phone and turns to George Lucas...

COPPOLA: They want me to do this mafia movie. What do you think?

LUCAS: Francis, our studio is hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
    For God's sake take the job. We need the money!

COPPOLA: (back on the phone) Yes, I'll do it!

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I agree, although many might find it jarring that the movie has a tone that seems almost diametrically opposed to the giddiness that permeates much of his Star Wars universe. Not that I mind it, myself, but people who've never seen it might be very confused if they don't know what to expect.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It's frighteningly, soul crushingly accurate.

I would say it's superior to his more main stream works, but you have to have a limber enough mind to contemplate the points it raises.

12. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Here's an interesting exercise. Set aside a day and watch these films back to back:

THX 1138 (Director's edition preferably) (1971)
    AMERICAN GRAFFITI (1973)
    STAR WARS (1977)

It's fascinating to watch how Lucas both progresses as a filmmaker with bigger and bigger budgets and more and more range, and yet how he consistently has his characters deal with the same issues over and over. Escaping from a cage, a small town, a planet. It makes for a great day of viewing. The giant leaps Lucas makes from film to film are amazing.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That's not a bad idea at all, Palpateen. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.