Is TPM the greatest film ever made ?

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Walken, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Walken Jedi Master

star 4
    In my opinion, The Phantom Menace is the greatest film ever made. It easily surpasses everything from Citizen Kane to The Godfather, to North By Northwest and Vertigo. It comfortably beats 2001, Bladerunner and Metropolis. It even comes out above The French Connection and Apocalypse Now. It is better than Indiana Jones and Back To The Future. It tops Aliens, Terminator 2 and Robocop. It's even better than The Seven Samurai, Once Upon A Time In The West and High Noon. It laughs in the face of Chinatown. It is better than Dr No and Goldfinger. It is above Gone With The Wind and Ben Hur. It is superior to Dawn Of The Dead, The Excorcist and Psycho. It's even more exciting than Hard Boiled or The Killer. It has more emotional impact than The Shawshank Redemption. It stays with you, even more than the ending of the original European version of The Vanishing. It's more entertaining than The Big Lebowski.

In short, it is a timeless classic of pure poetic genius, that transcends mere filmic conventions, and soars into a league of it's own !

It is the best film ever made.

Does everyone agree ? :)
  2. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Master

star 5
    Can this be considered flame-bait?
  3. Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan

star 4
  4. Darth-Walken Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh]

It's the greatest show on earth !
  5. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    No. But then ANH is in my opinion the greatest film ever made, and that would be a hard film to beat, so I will forgive TPM for not making it.

EDIT:
    Just for the sake of making conversation... the only film on your list that I have seen that I personally enjoy more than TPM is "The Exorcist", which is my 10th favorite flick.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  6. Darth-Walken Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, of course ANH is on a par with TPM :) I deliberately didn't mention any of the other Star Wars films in my first post, because it's an undeniable FACT that they are all part of the greatest saga ever filmed !

Nobody on the planet would disagree with that.
  7. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Well, I don't think anyone on the planet would disagree with the fact that they're part of the Star Wars saga. The Star Wars logo at the beginning clues me into that. [face_laugh]

Whether or not it's the greatest film saga... well, I think so, but in my mind it has competition from View Askew and Back to the Future*, and (when it's done) LOTR... or maybe Matrix, who knows...

* to be eligible, film saga must be at least three movies along, and each film must have heavy creative involvement from the original director/writer. None of this Jaws 3-D crap, thank you.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  8. Darth-Walken Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Durwood Jedi Master

star 5
    The greatest? No. One of the greatest? Without a doubt!
  10. Darth-Walken Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe I should have titled the thread 'Is TPM one of the 5 greatest films ever made ?' :)
  11. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Or perhaps top fifty or one hundred.

There is a lot of cinematic history, and a lot of subjective (and objective) assessment of quality filmmaking. TPM isn't in my top 50.
  12. The_Deal_Alterer Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm a big Star Wars fan and although the saga ranks as my one of my favorite movie(s), I can safley say that it it is better than only a FEW of the movies mentioned above.

Star Wars is an escape from reailty, where the tale of a galaxy in peril unfolds through six chapters before your very eyes. It's adventurous......nothing more.

To compare it to the likes of "The Godfather" wouldn't be laughable, but rather unintelligent.
  13. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd be careful with that last comment - it's easily seen as flame-baiting.
  14. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Even though TPM is an exceptional film in my eyes, I wouldn't exactly call it the best film of all-time. There are many other films that could complete and make a better argument than TPM, including many Spielberg and Kurosawa films. It is in the top 25 I believe however...
  15. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    While I don't like breaking up the SW saga in these sorts of ratings if I can help it, I've done the math, and if I were to rank my favorite films on a movie-by-movie basis rather than a series-by-series basis, TPM would still make my top 20.

Not bad for it, I say.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  16. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    TPM doesn't even belong in the top 100. They only two Star Wars movies to be in such a prestigous list would be ESB and ANH.
  17. Melda Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Nobody on the planet would disagree with [the Phantom Menace being the greatest film ever made].

I know of at least one person (my neighbour) who would vehemently disagree, and that's just off the top of my head without even going out of my way to ask around.

Oh yeah... I don't think it's the greatest film ever made, either, but while I may not be its strongest supporter, at least it is technically done very well (and the score kicks ass!).
  18. Durwood Jedi Master

star 5
    TPM isn't in my top 50.

Ironic, seeing as you're the moderator on a forum dedicated to the film.
  19. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Melda, he was saying that nobody on the planet would disagree with SW in general being the greatest.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  20. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Master

star 5
    Why should his being the moderator of this forum make any difference? That's an absurd connection to make.
  21. appleseed Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I wouldn't say it's the greatest film ever made, but I'm very fond of it. It's aged well, to me. But there's nothing wrong with choosing it as your favorite movie. You could do much worse.

22. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That is rather ironic, Durwood.
  23. Son_Of_Kurtzman Jedi Youngling

star 2
    TPM is not in my top 1,000, to be honest. However, it was a groundbreaking film, in terms of special effects. When John Knoll said, in "The Beginning" documentary, that there really wasn't a good way to shoot that final grass field battle, he wasn't being hyperbolic about the situation. ILM broke new ground of photo-realism, in CGI. The first Matrix paled in comparison, and Gollum, the Harry Potter CGI, Spider-man... none of these have been as technically good as what has been done for TPM and AOTC. What those films do have, especially in Gollum, is perhaps more life to them, in terms of performance. I think Yoda, in AOTC, was a great CGI acting performance, though. It's becoming equal footing pretty quickly now, though I still think Lucas has been the best for the realistic look of his CGI. In '96/'97, when TPM was being plotted, Lucas and crew were thinking well outside of the standard box.

There are a lot of films that were groundbreaking for their time, and they are considered great achievements for just that. However, most of the films considered absolute classics, by the majority of people, are films that tell a great story. Considering that TPM is a sequel, its reliance on the other films kind of sets it outside those perameters. Not to say that anyone is wrong for thinking it is a great story (I do, as well), a great film or even the greatest film of all time. These opinions are purely subjective.
  24. Frank Danger Jedi Youngling

star 1
    TPM the greatest flick ever made? Sorry, but no, not quite at the top of my favorites list.

It did make number one on a different list of mine, though: All-Time Greatest Let-Downs. Yep, it's right there on top, right above Independence Day and Predator 2 ;)
  25. DarthVegas Jedi Master

star 4
    TPM the greatest film ever made? Are you kidding? You have to be kidding.

Perhaps more accurate: Is TPM the worst screenplay to ever touch Hollywood? Well, I'd probably answer no to that, I mean, Masters of the Universe was pretty bad.

TPM doesn't even make the top 1000 greatest films and I'm being quite serious in saying that. I'd go as far as to say top 2500. If I had the time, I'd make a list of movies far better than the convoluted script that became TPM.

Perhaps the initator of this thread should have wrapped his message around <sarcasm> tags.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.