main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Is Vader more likeable than Anakin from a story point of view?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by SatineNaberrie, Mar 2, 2015.

?

Is Vader more likeable than Anakin from a story point of view?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2015.
  1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I am not talking about is he a good guy as Vader or his actions are better, I am talking about is his character better as a fictional character than what we see when he goes by Anakin.

For me, I am more annoyed by Anakin than Vader.

For this discussion I won't be talking about little Anakin, but older Anakin from AOTC and on up.

In AOTC we get a selfish teen that's creepy. I also find him annoying in ROTS. Even though I find Anakin better in TCW than in AOTC he is still annoying at times. Anakin also seems more out of control as a Jedi than what we see when he is Vader in the OT.

In ANH I don't see any rage or reckless rushing to battle against Obi-wan. He seems pretty calm vs in AOTC when he rushes Dooku and the rage we see with the sand people. I am not saying there isn't anger, but it seems more controlled.

He also seems much more patient as a Sith than Jedi at times. In a way he seems smarter and more mature as a Sith than Jedi and isn't throwing fits.

From what I see from his actions as Anakin I don't feel sorry for him. I get annoyed.
    In the OT he is an interesting villain and adds to the conflict.
    I am Not saying is a better person, far from it. I think as a story character he is just done/written better.

There's more I can add, but its hard to put in words.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't differentiate

In fact, since my last viewing, I've taken a liking to always calling him Anakin, even when I insisted to myself that I should call him Vader immediately after his knighting before.

There was always good in him. Therefore, I can't see him as a "villain" in any capacity. An antagonist towards Luke, for sure, but to me, the OT is more about Anakin and I see Luke as a personified arbitrary plot device, which is why I'm really hoping the ST can flesh him out more

3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Things are a lot different when he's Vader. He's a Sith Lord and second-in-command of an evil Empire. And he's older and more in control.

I like that Anakin in the PT had flaws and wasn't basically a prequel Luke. I actually don't care for him in TCW, it seems too inconsistent.

4. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Vader is true to who he is and has become. He's no longer hiding or suppressing his true feelings. This genuineness even though it is used for evil makes him more likeable ironically with many more fans.

5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't think "genuineness" is why Vader has fans. Like Boba Fett, I think a lot comes from the cool look, the cool way they act, and just being threatening villains.

6. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't like him because of the look and I don't like Boba Fett.

I find Vader less annoying and less creepier than Anakin.
    Anakin is more out of control and heading down a bad path.

With Vader its different. He's older and seems more in control even though he's a bad guy although I consider Anakin a bad guy too even though its not to the same extent as Vader.

Vader's character conflict with Luke is more interesting to me and it's potential than as Anakin's bad behavior as a Jedi. Villains turning from evil is better than heroes doing evil.

7. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
    Yes but it can be that way with anyone. The more you know the more there is to dislike and in the OT Vader is simply more mysterious.

I'm a big fan of the prequels but I think that's where most prequels fail and hurt the original. I like vagueness, I like having blanks to fill in and use my imagination.
    Too much writing,too much of filling in the details hurts characters and movies for me. "Evil" can be explained away and I don't think that's particularly a good idea from a writing point of view.
    I found the original Halloween creepy as a kid for example because Myers was such a vague mystery. But the remakes show his origins, attempt to explain why he is a bad dude and that kills the whole thing. Bates Motel same thing.
    I think the best writers/movies give you just enough and not cross that line into too many details or show you too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.