main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Is VII be Disney's 1952 movie?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by FirstStarWars, Nov 1, 2012.

1. FirstStarWars

FirstStarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Found this info at http://www.twitter.com/StarWars_vii
    Could this "1952" movie be the next Star Wars?

May, 2012: Brad Bird is hired to direct the Lindelof 1952 project, and brings on Jeff Jensen, author of Eisner Award-winning graphic novel Green River Killer to further develop the script, which is intended to become a huge tentpole film, with all the merchandising, toy selling and sequel opportunities such a prospect provides.

June, 2011: Damon Lindelof hired by Disney (for a 7 figure deal) to write a huge sci-fi epic for the studio. The project is named 1952, and nothing else is known about it.

2. Darth_Darkmoon

Darth_Darkmoon Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, I think it is 1952. It all seems to indicate some sort of "Blue Harvest 2".
    But this would mean that Damon Lindelof wrote the script...
    Let's hope that we will not have more questions unanswered at the end of the movie than at the beginning and let's also hope that he doesn't subsititute all of the cool elements of the movie for strange pseudo-mysterious things like in Prometheus. Come one, leaving one of the most iconic horror-beasts like the Alien out of the movie but instead have some sort of goo?? This was not cool, Mr. Lindelof!

3. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Hmmm....interesting thought. If so, I wonder how Brad Bird would do directing Star Wars?

4. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    hmmm, very interesting. Could "1952" be some sort of clever Star Wars hint? It's an odd name for a sci-fi project.

5. FirstStarWars

FirstStarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    The movie project 1952 goes back to 2011. Would they know that far back about getting Star Wars?

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Very interesting...

Yes, I do think it's possible that 1952 is actually Episode VII, actually very probable.

Edit: WhiskeyGold - I do think they probably knew in 2011, it takes a lot of negotiating to make a deal this big.

7. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
  8. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    1+9-5+2 = 7 [face_thinking]

9. sabrecmc

sabrecmc Jedi Master star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    This. Between lawyers and accountants and all that, this deal must have been in the works for quite some time. If MH and CF knew back in August 2011 that GL was planning more films, then I'd say at least sometime prior to that. So, it wouldn't surprise me to find out something is on paper and some of the players are lined up in anticipation of this announcement. Not sure if it is 1952 and Lindelof seems an odd choice to me, but Brad Bird would be good, I think. Incredibles is amazing and MI:4 was quite well done. I think he has a handle on scope and character. I can see that working well.

10. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    New, the top wigs sure but to go ahead and start work? maybe if the movie was summer for 2013

11. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
  12. WhinyLuke

Sep 22, 2012
    Let us say 1952 is the Blue Harvest name for Star Wars 7, now who can brack the code? Why 1952? No Lucas' birth year. What happed in 1952?

13. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012

and they will sell it to us as lucas´s idea? wow, disney is truely evil.

14. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    [face_sick]

15. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Wow, people are really grasping at straws here.

Two things:
    1) Disney isn't making the trilogy; Lucasfilm is. Disney may own Lucasfilm, but Lucasfilm is still an autonomous entity and studio.
    2) The decision to make the Sequel Trilogy was only finalized in late June of this year (which we know thanks to a blog post from Lucasfilm employee Pablo Hidalgo on the Official Star Wars Blog)

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility. LFL has had a relationship for years with Disney and could have been discussing a movie long before the entire acquisition was final, with the idea that acquisition was going to be the end result . Movies take quite some time to get made, 2.5 years is a really short amount of time in the movie making world, especially one that is so effects heavy. I think they've been at this much longer than they are letting on.

17. WhinyLuke

Sep 22, 2012
    From a link on http://www.twitter.com/StarWars_VII

A time for "1952"

May, 2011: Bob Iger and George Lucas begin discussing the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney.

June, 2011: Damon Lindelof hired by Disney (for a 7 figure deal) to write a huge sci-fi epicfor the studio. The project is named 1952, and nothing else is known about it.

May, 2012: Brad Bird is hired to direct the Lindelof 1952 project, and brings on Jeff Jensen, author of Eisner Award-winning graphic novel Green River Killer to further develop the script, which is intended to become a huge tentpole film, with all the merchandising, toy selling and sequel opportunities such a prospect provides.

June, 2012: Kathleen Kennedy is named co-chair of Lucasfilm, a move that surprised quite a few people in Hollywood as they didn't know why she'd vacate her position as a prime Hollywood mover/shaker to join a studio that was essentially, shapeless and aimless.

August, 2012: Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are told by George Lucas at a Star Wars convention that the sequel trilogy is coming.

October, 2012: Disney and Lucasfilm close the deal, and immediately announce Star Wars, Episode VII for release in 2015, with Lucas as a "creative consultant" and Kennedy as the President of Lucasfilm. Kennedy specifically notes that they've been talking to "a couple of writers" and they know where they want to go for the seventh movie.

18. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Mark and Carrie were told about the Sequel Trilogy in August of THIS year (two months after Kathleen Kennedy joined Lucasfilm), not August of LAST year.

19. WhinyLuke

Sep 22, 2012
    Wait! What! People are talking about "Aint it cool news" again! I guess the Disney buy helped out more than just Lucas :)

20. WhinyLuke

Sep 22, 2012
    Yea i thought it was this year also, I think the word mark used was "LAST SUMMER" and that got people think it was 2011. I will fix that, thanks

21. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
  22. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    First off, to be fair he was writing the screenplay for the story Ridley Scott wanted to tell so sidelong the xenomorphs wasn't really down to him.

Second, Scott had made it clear very early on that Prometheus takes place in the Alien universe but was only to be very loosely connected.

23. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    WhinyLuke: Even with that change, that timeline makes no sense. Whatever this whole 1952 thing is/was, it has/had nothing to do with SW Episode VII. Based on everything we know, the decision to go ahead with the Sequel Trilogy was made AFTER Kathy Kennedy joined Lucasfilm in June of this year, not before. There might've been vague rumblings about the possibility of a Sequel Trilogy being made without Lucas' direct involvement, but it sounds like things didn't 'gel' until this past June when Kennedy came onboard.

We also don't know how long this Disney deal was in gestation, but you would think that, if finalizing it were anything more than a fairly recent development, news about it would've leaked, even if it only got so far as the Lucasfilm compound, so I'm highly doubtful that Disney had any hand whatsoever in laying the groundwork for the Sequel Trilogy's development; if there was groundwork laid prior to this past June, it would've been done by the folk within Lucasfilm, not by Disney.

24. WhinyLuke

Sep 22, 2012
    yea, i dont think they working that far back, but its fun to play with the idea. I think right now they dont know much. They know, we have the rights, we are going to make it, we have some ideas and plans but nothing is final, nothing is in stone.

25. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    this is a real stretch. From what I understand, Lindelof pitched this as HIS original idea to Disney in 2011. The new trilogy is still going to be a Lucasfilm production, but helmed by Kathleen Kennedy. It's now obvious she accepted her position as chairman because there would be new movies made, so I think it goes back as far is this past spring (2012) and that's it