main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is wearing underwear on the outside of your pants really silly?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hear+soul, Feb 19, 2013.

1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I'm just thinking.... the Spartans did it in 300 (assuming that was historically accurate), except they weren't wearing pants. How is this very different?

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Batman. Superman. Various others. You have to be like superpowered.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    You're forgetting something....

Historically, the Spartans would've gone into battle stark naked, but the speedos were a contrivance the 300 film makers made so to avoid getting a NC-17 rating.

4. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had Wonder Woman Underoos when I was 8.

If you are above that age, the answer is yes.

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Wouldn't they cease to be underpants? Semantically-speaking, of course.

Amazing.

7. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    I guess the pants are then underpants and the briefs become overwear. boy is DC gonna feel dumb when they hear about this...

also I guess a note here is that the look comes from wrestlers back in the 30s/40s.

I'm just sayin in 20 years when this is the fashion....

8. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    It's almost as silly as wearing a long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt. Almost.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

yeah, uh, about that..... don't get your history from comic books.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    OH MY GOD, I'VE SOMEHOW TRAVELED BACK IN TIME TO JULY OF 2011!

I HAVE TO WARN THEM! I HAVE TO WARN THEM ABOUT HOW MEDIOCRE THE THIRD NOLAN BATMAN MOVIE IS!

Darth_Deception likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Silly, but awesome.
    [​IMG]

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You know, I was watching a BBC documentary about Greece during antiquity, last week. Based on its account of the Spartans, it led me to think of them as the earliest known Communists. They had a very peculiar society.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You know it's going to be hilarious if an underwear thread delves into a discussion of Communism.

That is all.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    bad link!

And I forgot you have to talk about things as soon as they happen... darnit!

stupid stupid stupid stupid STUPID STUPID

*removes sharpie from pocket*

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

*begins drawing all over self and especially inside the ears*

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Communists? Tell that to the helots. :p

Antique society was a lot more communitarian than modern society; the dawn of liberalism (in the classic sense) has meant a greater emphasis on the individual. That said, the Spartans were very far from being proto-commies. Athenian democracy at its wildest comes closest to equality for everyone, but they were still collectivist (Pericles, via Thucydides, had a profound contempt for individualists -- the Greek word for an individual, ιδιοτες, is where we get the word "idiot") and they were still dismissive of the rights of anybody who wasn't born Athenian.

edit: oops, gonna end up fulfilling a_g's prophecy :p

16. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    holy crud I'm learning things!

edit: so, then, what did they fight in, jello?

p.s.- Rises was brilliant.

17. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The helots were the people from the surrounding villages that they made farm for them, right? So, basically, from what I understood, they had a hierarchy in place where the non-Spartans from the surrounding environs were put to produce food, while the Spartans themselves did nothing but devote their life to military training. Like a warrior monk order, roughly speaking. Among themselves, they were fiercely egalitarian, to the point where publicly showing in any way that you had more than others, by wearing clothing associated with high status or, heavens forbid, jewelry, was frowned upon, and the ideal was to have in possession only what's of utmost necessity. Even wives were sometimes shared between the collective.

Also, interestingly, although this has nothing to do with their collectivism, they were so obsessed with masculinity, and so despised femininity, that they would prefer to live in homosexual relationships and have as little contact with women as possible. On the occasions that they had to have sex with women in order to have offspring, the women would shave their heads and the custom was to look as male as possible, presumably to not be too off-putting for the men who would sleep with them.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, yes, that's a euphemistic way of putting it. They were slaves and terribly treated. But yes, otherwise you've generally got it about Spartan society. It's all very repulsive really (feels more proto-fascist than proto-commie to me). The Athenians were occasionally like that to a lesser extent -- heavens forbid you were accused of medizing (shades of Orientalism!).

Fortunately, the Romans had no such hang-ups about hierarchy and status. That's why they won. The republic was a much better form of government than the Spartan diarchy and the Athenian democracy (indeed -- the Greek historian Polybius notes that the Roman Republic took the best elements of both).

Heavy armor. The Spartan hoplites basically outlasted their enemies: they were disciplined and armored. Their foes would break before they did.

RC-1991 and Darth_Deception like this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes, proto-fascist certainly works too, for other elements of their society. The egalitarian aspects that I mentioned reminded me of communism, but yeah.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Fascism was kind of collectivist too, though, remember. They were all about how useful the individual could be to the state: they disliked the idea of distinction and hierarchy too, aside from the leadership principle that they were obsessed with. The Nazi brand of fascism, in contrast to the Spanish and Italian brands, was fiercely anti-monarchist and anti-aristocratic for similar reasons as the Spartans were.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Darth_Deception likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002