main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is wedge more likely to bite it now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by genghis, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genghis

genghis Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Just a thought I had today on the way to work. Taking into account the full arc of the EU, is it more likely that wedge will die now that he is on the bridge of a large vessel than when he was in his fighter?

Trying to stick largely to cold statistics, do a larger percentage of capital ships or fighters get destroyed in battle. (i.e. 30 fighters and 3 caps start battle. 15 fighters are destroyed and 2 caps, therefore you were more likely to survive if you were in a fighter.)

It would be good if we could get total statistics (seperated by faction and total) i.e. 3x more imp fighters are destroyed in battle however they deploy 6x as many etc.

This is probably a little to excessive but it would be nice to see educated guesses.

Going by the books I will make the proposal that he is more likely to die on the bridge of a capital ship than a fighter.

Please argue

2. simon4of4

simon4of4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, given Wedge shouldn't die under any circumstances so he can retain his "only SW side character to never die" title. I would agree that he is more likely to bite the big one on a capital ship.

In a fighter you have a lot more control over what happens to you. When you're in a capital ship you must rely on the fighter to help keep you safe. And if they are too busy watching out for each other then the capital ship is going down. :)

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Wedge's death would be pointless as he has not been a major character in the NJO. He's only been in a few books. While his death would affect the readers, it wouldn't affect the story.

Unlike another Corellian ...

4. genghis

genghis Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Sorry maybe I didnt make myself clear. I was trying to use wedge as an example, the info I was really after was the comparative survivability statistics of capital ships over star fighters.

I.e. If John Smith drops out of hyperspace in an X-Wing and Smith Johnson comes out of hyperspace in a Republic Class Star Destroyer who is more likely to come out of it alive? John or Smith?

5. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    But remember, on capital ships, there are escape pods that increase the chances of survival.

6. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    I would think, considering the amount of time and the resources required to build a capital ship like a Republic SD that losing them wouldn't be as common as losing starfighters. If it were the other way around, and the larger ships were dropping like flies, there wouldn't be any left at this stage... and making more would be like spending six months on a mobile weapons platform that might hold the enemy off for a few hours, but is ultimately disposable. I just can't see spending all the time and resources for that. If statistics were showing that the survival rates for SDs and other large ships were that low, I don't see the point in making more. If you can blow up the enemy with a $10 bomb, why spring for one that costs a billion? All we'd ever see are some basic carriers and snub fighters if the survival rates were that low.

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I like Wedge and I don't want him to die :(

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    star destroyers have their uses...like for ramming worldships.

capital ships are good against capital ships and other large targets. starfighters are good agains small and medium targets.

i'd imagine that the Alliance has lost a lot more starfighters than capital ships. its just that the capital ships get names so we can track them better.

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I.e. If John Smith drops out of hyperspace in an X-Wing and Smith Johnson comes out of hyperspace in a Republic Class Star Destroyer who is more likely to come out of it alive? John or Smith?

Whichever one is on the capital ship - better firepower & shields.

10. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    hopefully he'll die....

11. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    WHAT WHAT WHAT???????

12. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    yeah...i do...i almost thought that his time was TFP.....discouraged again... he needs to go...he's getting old...maybe he can do it killing pelleaon at the same time. yeah that sounds better.

13. ProA

ProA Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    He has been kind of set up to die a few times in the series. Do I want him to die? No, of course not. He's a great character. Is there a chance? Yea, but I would say 10-1 odds.

Ackbar and Pellaeon are the two characters that will be erased from the series, most likely. I don't think Luceno will go any farther. Maybe Boba Fett on the outside.

14. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
    " But remember, on capital ships, there are escape pods that increase the chances of survival."

yes but the leading person on the ship normaly stays behind to do a suicide run or ram a ship.

15. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Commander Eldo Davip, commander of the Lusankya at Borleias didn't. Given the state of the war, Command probably can't afford to los those experienced officers it has.

16. ProA

ProA Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    Yes, but the funny thing about war is how little control you have over something like that.

17. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    NOOO!!! Don't kill off Wedge! THAT would SUCK!!!

And hands off the Wraiths as well! We already lost Ton Phanan...ISN'T THAT ENOUGH???

18. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    And hands off the Wraiths as well! We already lost Ton Phanan...ISN'T THAT ENOUGH???

Hey, you get a whole additional book out of him than originally planned; he was supposed to die along with Jesmin.

Unfortunately for Mr. Allston, the character had other plans. :p

19. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    No!!! I don't want Wedge or Fett to die their two of the most skilled non-Jedi...

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

20. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    It's a war. He's just as likely to bite it now as he was during the Rebellion and the other campigns he was on. Is it more likely? Possibly. But he's proven to be a very canny tactician, and puts his resources to maximum use. Whether in a fighter, or on the bridge of a capital ship, Wedge is survivor.

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    jhc36:

Now I have seen it all my friend. Besides Ackbar, you want Wedge and Pellaeon dead as welll?

You must really hate famous commanders.

The only connection I can see is that all three of these men have opened up a can on some Vong @ss! :eek: ;) :D

22. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I think jhc36 simply wants everyone dead :p :D Not only Ackbar or other fleet commanders, so you can relax Nick :)

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Peregrine:

You may be on to something. Perhaps jhc36 has some "anger management" issues. ;) :D

24. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    ohh no no no.

admiral nick: ohh i'm still the staunch supporter of the fish's death...ohh by far i wish he would die. he's my number 1 guy. [face_devil]

p yeah...i do wish some of these characters would die. muwhahahahahaha [face_devil] in fact...probably all of them. but this is just about wedge....and i've given my rendition of how it should end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.