main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is WILL CALL going to be set up on Thursday??

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by MaximusVader, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaximusVader

MaximusVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    Just ordered my pass through the Fan Club Site and was wondering if the Will Call tables will be set up on Thursday for the people arriving early?

2. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    With all the trouble they've been having getting people their lanyards they should set up Thursday.

3. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Thursday is scheduled as set up day. If will call is open on Thursday, which I'm kind of doubting it will be, it would be later in the day. That's something, though, you're going to have to email WotC about.

4. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    A great idea, but highly unlikely.

Ticket sales and will call will be open an hour before they let anyone in each day...best we could hope for is to press WOTC to open those desks even earlier than that.

5. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    I have emailed WOTC three times about this.

No answer.

You mean to tell me that they are waiting until the day before to set this whole thing up? I would think it very unwise to wait until one hour before opening the doors to start getting the will call people their stuff. You are just asking for the beginning of the same problems that plagued the first celebration.

6. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, given the normal, even extravagent concerts only take 1/2 a day to set up, that really isn't saying much. Things will be arriving all week, Thursday is just when they'll pull it all together.

7. K-Dub_Solo

K-Dub_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    That would only be too perfect if it was. Has anyone contacted WotC about this?

8. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Maximus has said he did, I did yesterday. No reply yet. I emailed them a question about a month ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I think WotC is ignoring us. [face_mischief]

9. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    I have emailed WOTC seven times in the past month and a half and gotten only one response. And that response was so vague that they might as well have simply emailed me back and said simply..."Idunno?".

I hope this thing is set up better than it seems like it is going to be. Things seem very unorganized.

And that site is a friggin' joke.

10. zathraaas

zathraaas Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2001
    Will Call will open bright and early Friday morning. With the staff, guests, and vendors arriving and setting up on Thursday, security on-site will be very tight and there isn't any way to reasonably let some folks in ahead of time to pick up stuff.

Be patient, young Jedi's.... :)

11. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    This has nothing to do with being patient. It has to do with being efficient. Hell, I'm getting in to Indy at 3 on Thursday...I'll be more than happy to sit in a ticket box office and get the Will Call people taken care of.

And when you say that the ticket office will be set up "bright and early on Friday morning"....what is your idea of bright and early. Because if they are letting Fan Club people in at 10, I am gonna want my **** taken care of by at LEAST 8 or 9.

There is no reason (security has NOTHING to do with it) that they shouldn't be able to open up one or two offices for a couple of hours on Thursday night in order for people to pick up their Will Call passes. As I said before, it is just part of good organization and getting things set up to take away from the lines that are already going to be associated with this thing.

I will be "patient" just as soon as I get some "official" information on this.

12. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    TESTIFY, MY BROTHER!!!

13. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    AMEN!!!

Raise the offering. (Open the damn Will Call on Thursday)

14. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I was thinking, perhaps we're going about this the wrong way. Instead of asking WotC if Will Call will be open Thursday we should ask WotC to open Will Call on Thursday.

15. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    I suppose that this is what everyone else got when they e-mailed WotC about the "Will Call" desk at C2:

Hello Bianca,

Will call will open at 9am on Friday, May 3.

Thank you,
    Kristie Crawford
    Registration and Customer Service Manager

I tell ya...it's gonna be a major pain in the butt to do this. I guess I'll be getting lining up at 7am with some breakfast and major caffiene... ::grumble, grumble::

16. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    Greetings Fellow Enthusiasts,

Will Call is not on the Sked to be open on thursday. As has been stated thrsday is strictly a set up day. I'm sure part of the thinking is that they don't want to have to keep track of non set up people wondering about the center on thrsday, the Convention Center is a large place.
    Will Call does open at 8AM on friday, saturday and sunday. The Show opens at 10 AM on Friday. That's 2 hrs to get to Will Call and get into line to get in. Remember this is not Denver, there will be plenty of room for people to get in and to see everything that they want to see.

If you are concerned about autographs, check out the possibility of using the Autograph "pull service". You tell them who you want, go about your business and then come back and get them.

Deron Price
    Indy C2 Volunteer Co-ordinator

17. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    Is that 8AM an "official" time? Because if that is the case, no big deal. Still, I do not understand the excuse of "non set-up people running around". If this place is like any of the hundreds of other convention centers across the US, the ticket windows are either oustide, or in specially designated areas of the convention center. If this is not the case, then screw me...but if it is, then again...no reason they could not be opened for a few hours on Thursday night.

Does anyone else not see the logic in getting some of the Will Call people taken care of on Thursday night?

But like you said, this is not Denver. I guess I just still have some anxiety from all of the disorganization of that fiasco. Not that it wasn't a kick ass time. Just..........THE LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rain was fun, though.

18. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I agree, every major convention I've been to has had the ticket window well away from the enterance. They've also had security there on the set-up day to ensure people who weren't supposed to get in didn't. 'Course, that didn't stop me on two different occasions, but that's not the kinda thing to post here. :D

Anyway, since Will Call opens at 9am, not 8, I think it wouldn't be a hassle to open for two or three hours Thursday evening. Like 4-7PM. Hell, if they need people to work it, I'd do it for free, as long as I was number one in line for it.

19. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    I offered first.....I'm first in line!

20. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Don't push me Maximus, I'm from Cleveland, I'll throw an empty plastic bottle at you. [face_mischief]

21. zathraaas

zathraaas Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2001
    I am on the SWCII convention staff. I'm a volunteer (as are most of the staff members), so while my comments are not an official Wotc response, they should be pretty close to the mark.

The latest schedule I have seen has on-site registration and will-call opening at 9am Friday (and 8am Sat/Sun).

Thursday has been allocated for setting up everything- exhibits, dealers, registration area, HQ, customer service, computer systems, and so forth. Also, many staff will be arriving that day and will be learning everything they need to know to help make this Celebration the best it can be. Security personnel also will be arriving and learning everything that day. With all of this activity we simply can't open up will-call Thursday without rescheduling a *lot* of things much earlier.

I have worked at many of Wotc's game cons and the will-call area (called 'pre-reg pickup') runs quite smoothly. Since this con is not exactly the same as a game convention, (and I'm not in the will-call area) I don't know for sure that it will work the same way, but I'm guessing it will be similar. At the game cons we have the pre-reg pickup set up with at least a half-dozen different lines, based on last name. Show your receipt and a picture ID and you get your stuff. They are quite adequately staffed and process the attendees very quickly. Last year's Gencon attendance was slightly over 25000. Yes, there are lines- but the lines move well.

I wasn't at the Denver SWC, but I've read the horror stories. It sounds like the staff was neither experienced nor prepared for such a large crowd. The staff at SWCII will be both. :)

22. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    Well if you HAD been in Denver...you would TOTALLY understand my concern over this.

23. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Tell 'em Steve-Dave.

Wait, I wasn't at Denver, either. Nevermind.

24. MaximusVader

Oct 16, 2001
    Damn, dude. You post replies faster than Walt Flannigan's dog.

25. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Sh!t, I can't think of any more obscure Kevin Smith jokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.