main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Yoda a defeatist in the CT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediSF, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediSF

JediSF Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    This idea has been batted around the 3SA forum alot but since it deals with his attitude in ESB and RoTJ, I thought it more apprpriate here.

Do you think that Yoda was a defeatist in the CT. His reaction to training Luke has often been taken for a reluctance to get involved in the fight against the Empire and Sith again. I believe that it was merely a test of Luke's resolve.

What say you?

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I think that Yoda was seeing alot of Anakin when he looked at Luke... young, headstrong, looking for adventure and excitement... he was probably wary of taking the risk of creating another Vader...

3. swanarchy

swanarchy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    yoda just didnt want to miss his soaps, thats all. Then he realized they were going to take billy off the show and he thought he would train the boy, cause if not he would have nothing to do.

4. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Another Vader.

Cool! :cool:

5. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    I always thought Yoda was reluctant to train Luke in the Jedi arts 'cause he didn't want another Vader running around reeking havoc in the galaxy. History always repeats itself and Yoda didn't want another one going over to the "Dark Side". And even more so Luke being Anakin/Darth Vader's son.

6. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    He wanted to make sure he and Obi got it right with this Skywalker. In ROTJ, you notice Yoda tells Luke what he has to do. I believe in ESB he still believes Luke is their hope, but he acts to the contrary to make sure Luke doesn't grow an ego like Anakin does in the Clone Wars.

7. JediSF

Apr 15, 2004
    Great posts, everyone. Thanks!
    I think everyone has expressed a piece of what I believe....well, maybe not Swanarchy, but I'm open to a strong argument.

I think there was a reluctance of sorts with Yoda for the very reasons that Indigo and sweetcaroline have stated. He wanted to ensure that Luke was dedicated to training as a Jedi. Notice the dialogue in the scene when Yoda and Luke first meet. What starts as a conversation between Yoda and Ben turns into one between Yoda and Luke. The culmination is when Yoda asks Obi-Wan "Will he finish what he begins." Ben doesn't even attempt to answer. Luke ardently replies "I won't fail you. I'm not afraid."

Wrath has a good point with the ego, but I think it's more a test of Luke's resolve, not his ego. But for the same reason, to ensure that they get it right with Luke.

However, I don't think it was a reluctance for fear of failure. He'd been watching Luke for a long time, so it seems to me there was some skeleton plan in place that he would be brought into Luke's life as a mentor/guide/teacher when the Force willed it. It was his first test for the boy.

8. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    You could also interpret that Yoda was provoking Luke, that it was actually a lesson in patience and respect for the master. This seems typical for wise old mentors.

Like Mr. Myagi: "Wax on, wax off, Daniel-San"

Daniel gets impatient and angry, and only then realizes that he's already learning.

9. JediSF

Apr 15, 2004
    Plo, definitely a test of his patience also.

YODA: I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

I think that the bottom line is Yoda is trying to get a feel for Luke and demonstrate his weaknesses, recklessness, impatience, lack of focus and concerntration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.