main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is Yoda's backstory the last great mystery of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sith_rising, Oct 28, 2012.

1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Sure, there are always new characters popping up in the EU, which always creates interest in learning more about, say, Darth Tenebrous. But as far as the big mysteries of Star Wars (Palpatine's backstory, Boba Fett's backstory, Vader's fall, the rise of the Empire, the Clone Wars, the history of the Sith, the Old Republic, etc), it seems like Yoda is the only major player whose backstory is still largely virgin territory, at least as far as I know.

Does anyone know if a Yoda novel is in the works?

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I really don't think so.
    In the past, Lucas has even actively prevented Yoda-related background from being released.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  4. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Doubt it, and I personally prefer it that way. The most i'd ever want is something akin to Dark Rendevous. Maybe an adventure he undertook in earlier years before the time of the movies.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yoda was raised in the Jedi Temple.

What's his backstory?

6. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    What was the novel? I'd like to check it out. I hope he hasn't been living in the Temple for 899 years, that would be kind of disappointing lol.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's not the last.

I created a list of about 20 "untold stories" a few years ago (can't find it now... I wish we had the google search back!).

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So what you're saying is that we need some material about him? Some form of Yoda... stories?

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    WANT stories does not mean NEED.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yoda's backstory a mystery?

Nonsense!

[​IMG]

And, to sweeten the deal: Leland Chee once said that everything from Design an Alien is canon! Booyaka!

Ulicus , Manisphere, Mazzic and 7 others like this.
  11. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I honestly don't think a Yoda back story would be all that exciting. I love Yoda, but for 1,000 years the Republic had been at peace, and he was alive for almost 900 of those 1,000 years. Probably not very many adventures to be had, other than political. At the age of 100, Yoda would probably have been past the point of going on mission after mission. He was most likely on the council at that point (unless there is info that states otherwise), and his adventuring days behind him.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Exactly. Missions. Generic, forgettable, cookie cutter fan fodder can easily come out of getting the OK for a Yoda backstory. I think some mystery is a good thing.

13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Maybe we can get Drew Karpyshyn to novelize the N'kata Del Gormo story, where it will turn out that N'kata Del Gormo dies before the book even starts.

Darth__Syphilis and Darth_Duck like this.
  14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Republic was only peaceful in the sense that it experienced no large-scale warfare of the type seen since the New Sith Wars, or until the onset of the Clone Wars. There were still a number of localized conflicts going on, and as has been noted by numerous stories from the Jedi Apprentice/Quest series, to the early Republic comics, there's all sorts of other adventures that a Jedi like Yoda could have undertaken.

15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Adventures that would have been good, but likely not extraordinary.

16. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    "Good relations with the Wookies I have"

Maybe expand on that, where Yoda and and a younger Chewey are on some adventure together or something.

17. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    We still don't how what really happens to all of the clones after the Clone Wars. Details of the Dark Times era will always be a more interesting mystery to me than Yoda's home world or whatever. I'd like that 19 year gap filled in beyond the first year or few months after the war.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Wars Tales did a story or two of Yoda's past.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The clones get old and eventually die.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    We do know that Yoda was on the Jedi mission to Dathomir, attempting to recover the Chu'unthor, circa 230 BBY.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The one with Minch was clarified to be canon- but not Yoda- were there any others, where he plays an active role?

22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It was? Wasn't it just an Infinities retelling of how Yoda killed a Dark Jedi in the cave on Dagobah?

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    When it comes to what does and doesn't count as canon in Tales, it's all a bit hazy for me but I did like the story, worked well, don't really see why it can't be counted as canon.

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Heart of Darkness was made canon when Minch received a whole entry in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia in 2008. As you know, only canon characters and events were collected in this book. ;)

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Like I said- canon- but Minch is not Yoda so it's not a Yoda story.

Though I do wonder if Vision of the Future's account of Yoda fighting a Dark Jedi, plus Heart of Darkness, means that the cave has had 2 Dark Jedi die there- one to Minch, one to Yoda.