main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Isabel

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Mogook, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I hope everyone's doing all right. You can post your experiences here with the storm.

The Inner Harbor got it pretty bad.

I'm doing okay. No flooding, but there's alot of branches and leaves all around. Cable's out.

2. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    (In his best pirate accent)
    Ahoy mateys!!
    ARRRRRGGHHHH tis Talk like a pirate day as da topside banner says.

Tis fittin' since me boat waz needed ta get ta' work today. ARRRRRGGHHHH

Last nite I shivered me timbers, da wind was howlimg like blackbeard ghost but me woke up eary today to servae' da damage and sail off to da harbor were me works.
    But the filthy landlubbers closed da joint cause Light & Pratt streets tis under wudder. ARRRRRGGHHHH

Angry Iszzy made her mark today
    Tis not sumtin I'll soon forget.

Ahoy All
    Pirate Tak

3. Solosgurl

Solosgurl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    The windows in the house started to leak...faulty seals or something so we were up til 4 a.m. trying to deal with that. Other than that, flooding hasn't happened in this part of Baltimore County. Stupid BGE....what's wrong with our county? dag...

4. yaddel

yaddel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Well we tied everything down, or hid it under our deck inside the fence, so at least nothing flew away. I thought for sure the windows were going to get smashed by something, the wind was terrible! "Last nite I shivered me timbers" is a 100% accurate discription of what happend! Anyway, ofcourse the power went out around 11:00 pm, and we had no power all day, argh! So we felt very cut off from the world, when we finally gave up all hope of ever getting power back, we were starting to belive it really would take 7 days, the power came back on, exactly 24 hours after it went out. Believe me, when you have a 2 year old running around, no power is a terrible thing! We actually sat in the car and let her watch Elmo on the DVD player, can you imagine?? Anyway, hope everyone else did ok, Isbeth how was the flooding down there, I hope all is well. Take care all!

5. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    LOL One of the first things that we thought about were if our costumes would be ok...I am glad nuthing happened over here, but some downed trees. I am so sorry to hear of your power outtages, good ya got it back...posting to the forums is a good electricity sign :D

6. yaddel

yaddel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    After spending way too much time and money on costumes, I keep them all wrapped in acid free tissue in air tight containers, I don't want anything to happen to them, not even in a hurricane!

7. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    I have to say that the storm though it came kind of strong wasn't as bad as I expected to be. I come from Puerto Rico where we get an average of one hurricane per year with one big/major one every three. I have experience some which have been very bad to our small island. The most recent was before I move here on 1998. The named was Georges and it was a Cat 4/3 Hurricane. It caused a lot of devastation to the whole island. People waited about 3 months to get basic services (tel./water/power). There are still houses that still have damage that have not been repaired.

So, we were lucky? Yes we were. Isabel loose strength and converted to a Cat 2... weak Cat 2. Try to imagine what would have happened if it had maintained its original Cat 4 when it touched land. I would have been very afraid. In my house we had some tress down, some of them on top of a couple of houses in my neighboor hood. We had no power for about two days. But thank God that nothing happened to no one around here.

Is there a lesson to be learned here? Yes, That no matter what statistics or history says, things can happen. I thought that when I moved up here I would have move away from the hurricane path, but this showed me that they still can come. And though I prepared myself for this one, I will prepare more even my house for the next time.

Thanks for your time and for reading this. Take care all. God bless.

May the Force be with you... always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    MARYLAND FAN FORCE FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

8. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Thats interesting Fipe,

I'm up the road a bit in Hollywood, and I neither lost power (for more than a minute or two), nor did I have any tree damage. I still have telephone, and since I'm on satellite, I didn't lose tv reception.

9. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    Isabel, oh Isabel,
    Your wind it blew,
    Your rain it fell,
    For just three hours we lost our lights,
    But that all happened in the middle of the night!

bada bing!

True, though, that we lost power for only a short time. One hour between 8 and 9 PM when we played board games by flashlight, then again for just shy of two hours in the middle of the night. By 2:45 AM they were back on for good. Very lucky since I work with folks whose power is STILL out! Sheesh.

But I got two days off work courtesy of Isabel and Son of M.M. got some days off school so...that's cool!

M.M.

10. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I lost power in June for 12 days and on September 3. I was away on vacation in June. On September 3rd. they evacuated 55 people from my apartment complex after midnight. Water was up to my waist and I had to carry little kids and ferrits and rabbits over my head. My apartment floors were damaged, water got to be up to 3 inches in two rooms. We had no power for twenty-two days and we were all forced to move. By the time Isabel hit, I had half my stuff moved into my new place. Actually it didn't bring any new rain with it, so I moved what was left over the four and 1/2 day weekend we got.

11. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    I know MuttandSolo, it's interesting. I think that Isabel turned out to be very selective. Don't you agree? :)

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We lost power for just under 24 hours. I don't tell my dad too much about it. You see, he lives in Richmond and after 8 days they finally got their power back.

13. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    I thought it was amusing that while I had my vacation in Florida, the eye of Isabel went through Hagerstown, two hours from my house in Garrett County.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.