ISD fly by test shot

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Anonymous_Jedi, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, say that (hypothetically) I got back into 3d animation. What should I change about this shot? What do you guys think?
    ISD3-Final.avi

If someone could convert it to .mov, I would be most thankful!!

Model by SciFi3d
  2. Lord_Homer Jedi Master

star 4
    looks great! the only problem is that the ISD's look like their are sitting still, and they have no, what's the word for it.....flames coming out of their boosters. other than that, great job!
  3. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Forgot to menchion to ignore the engine glow (or lack there of.)

I have thought about the still thing, but suprisingly enough, they are moving foward, I guess it's just the camera movements.
  4. Rikalonius Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not bad, I can convert it .mov file for you. Any particular reason? You've done a good job with the models, but the formation doesn't look natural. I know in space things would be more catywampus than we see in the movies, but I'm just letting you know. We SW fans expect our Star Destroyers to all be perfectly horizontal :)

If they aren't moving, no need for engine glow. But it was a good point. Another is having a little more life. Maybe a tie fighter flying by or something. It gives the spaceship scene more life, like in ESB

just my $.02
  5. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Just to clarify, this was for someone elses project that the shot is now finished and the director is pleased with the shot. I'm just asking for suggestions/refinements when I get ready to start playing around with 3d animation again :)

Ok, now onto replying to the previous post:
    "Not bad, I can convert it .mov file for you. Any particular reason?"
    Ya, so the other half of this forum can view it ;)

"You've done a good job with the models"

" but the formation doesn't look natural. I know in space things would be more catywampus than we see in the movies, but I'm just letting you know. We SW fans expect our Star Destroyers to all be perfectly horizontal "
    Not if they are diving downwards ;)

"If they aren't moving, no need for engine glow."
    They are, just hard to tell with the camera movements :-\

"Another is having a little more life. Maybe a tie fighter flying by or something. It gives the spaceship scene more life, like in ESB"
    Answered at top, as it was totally about the star destroyers, I guess I could have added in some TIEs, but that shot took me 3 weeks to "perfect" as it is :-\
  6. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone else?

I would appreciate that conversion very much so more users can view it and give me feedback.
  7. DEP Jedi Padawan

very nice job!

I don't have much more to add :)
  8. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    That looks fantastic! I'll get a .mov up in a few moments if you like :)
  9. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks guys! Yes, a .mov I would like :)
  10. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    Bah! I'm having problems, the only .mov I can get is around 8MB(!) any good?
  11. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Ouch, the avi is only around 4mb :-\
  12. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I know, I'll keep trying unless someone gets one up before... sorry :(
  13. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't worry about it, it looks a lot darker than it should be :-\
  15. MDuffy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think the camera movement is a bit extreme. Too much like a CG shot. You cover like 220 or 230 degrees in the shot, and it just doesn't feel right. Star Wars uses very static cameras; not that much panning, and no extreme pans.

I'd suggest opening up the formation more; these are huge ships in the open depths of space, and have no need to fly that close together. You may also want to add in a bit of fill light into the shadows, perhaps with a blue or purple tint to it. And if you are going to make such a drastic camera move, then make it seem like it is the viewpoint of a smaller ship, not just a camera on a curve.

Good Luck,
    Michael Duffy
    mduffy@ionet.net
  16. PadawanNick Force Ghost

star 4
    I still think this is an awesome shot :)

One thing that might help in everyone's review is to have the context for this shot:
    An advertisement for Kaut Drive Yards, the company that builds these things.

AJ built this shot off an animatic that I sent to him, plus a lot of back-and-forth messaging over the staging. Honestly, he did a perfect job of delivering what was asked of him.

What he added was the fantastic fluid sweep motion (the animatic was really choppy), texture application, lighting and effects setup.

Hope this helps. (Thanks again AJ)

Have fun!
  17. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe, how's that coming anyways, PadawanNick? ;)

The purpose of the shot (as stated by Nick) was for a commercial, rather than an actual scene, although I do want the comments on the basis that it was a scene. I realize it does move a bit too fast for any "normal" Star Wars shot now that I think about it. I think the lighting fits the scene just fine, it was meant to be dark, and everything is lit fine except for the towers, which would be screwed up if lit so you could see them, remember, there's a star behind them, it's going to darken that entire part ;)
  18. Aprentize Jedi Master

star 4
    I think its gorgeous. And I have absolutely no problem with the angle, its simply... gorgeous.
  19. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Aprentize Jedi Master

star 4
    youre welcome!

btw, im new to this part of the forums and since im planning for a fanfilm to be recorded this summer i think ill be spending some time in this forum for a while... so... hello everybody!
  21. crutag-ventor Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello Aprentize :D
    I take it you?re from Sweden? ;)
  22. Aprentize Jedi Master

star 4
    well.... yes! how did you know?!
  23. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Your signature is a bit of a giveaway...
  24. Aprentize Jedi Master

star 4
    seriously? is swedish that easy to recognize?
  25. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd like to know what you think, Daft, if you can view it. The .mov is a bit dark if it's still there, I think I know of a way to convert it since it's not using sound, so I'll do that soon.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.