main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ISD fly by test shot

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Anonymous_Jedi, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Very impressive. ;) The only thing I can point out that hasn?t been already said is the ships don?t seem to have any life to them. The formation is to uniform, if that makes any sense. Maybe stagger the speeds differently for each ship? ?[face_plain]
    Just my opinion, and thank you for sharing with us. :D

2. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    Nice, but I would spread out the formation a little, make it look more natural. Also due to the amount of camera movement, you cannot tell that the SD's are moving, to combat this make a few of them move at different speeds to each other.

This varied speed should allow you to see movement even with such a camera flyby.

BTW The movement you've done is very smooth, not to my tastes for cameras as I like a more realistic camera motion, but I have to say I'm impressed with it :) Nice work.

3. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey AJ,

That looked pretty cool. I didn't mind the funky camera move (maybe it was a cockpit POV of a passing TIE fighter or something) The only thing that was weird was seeing a few of them 'diving down'. It looked as though they where going to crash (I guess becuase every time I've seen them banking/diving they're just about to blow up or hit somethng)

But good stuff all the same, and nicely done.

4. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Thanks guys! :)
    Now that Nick has the final, I may go back and change this and play around with it, maybe add a couple TIEs (and a hour to my render time :p ), play with the camera move a bit. I'll make a .mov tonight, so it's not so dark like the one posted above.

"The only thing I can point out that hasn?t been already said is the ships don?t seem to have any life to them. The formation is to uniform, if that makes any sense. Maybe stagger the speeds differently for each ship?"
    Makes perfect sense :) Now that I think about it, even though I did do them individually, they end up it the same relative position at the same time, I'll have to change that.

"Nice, but I would spread out the formation a little, make it look more natural. Also due to the amount of camera movement, you cannot tell that the SD's are moving, to combat this make a few of them move at different speeds to each other. "
    I figured that's why you couldn't tell, I'll have to change that :-\

"BTW The movement you've done is very smooth, not to my tastes for cameras as I like a more realistic camera motion, but I have to say I'm impressed with it :) Nice work. "
    Well thank you, I had hoped the 2 years of TV production in high school would be worth SOMETHING eventually ;) :)

"That looked pretty cool."
    :D

"I didn't mind the funky camera move (maybe it was a cockpit POV of a passing TIE fighter or something)"
    So TIEs can fly backwards now? ;)

"The only thing that was weird was seeing a few of them 'diving down'. It looked as though they where going to crash (I guess becuase every time I've seen them banking/diving they're just about to blow up or hit somethng)"
    Hehe, I get that feeling from time to time, guess I've been shootin' 'em up too much in Rogue Leader ;)

"But good stuff all the same, and nicely done."

5. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Looks great to me- I do have a couple of comments- The surface of the Ships hull looks very flat- did you have a bump map applied to that model? Also, I agree that the engine glows need to be more intense. Other than that- loved it- I'm a sucker for lens flares though.

Jeremy

6. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    "Also, I agree that the engine glows need to be more intense. Other than that- loved it- I'm a sucker for lens flares though."
    I didn't do any glows, I wanted lens flares for them myself, but my render time skyrocketed and i couldn't get them to look quite right.

I didn't model or texture it, it's by SciFi3d, I forget which one though.

7. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    "Wow jedi that was..."

Careful, Whispering Death... Whispering Death?... Can you hear me? Someone get a medic -- I think he's choking. [Dear readers, Whispering Death entered a coma shortly after viewing this clip. He's doing better now, and should make a full recovery.]

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    So I'm going to say you liked it... am I wrong?

9. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Oh and for you Mac people, here I have a nice perfect quality clip coming in at 2.27MB
    ISD3.mov
    If you viewed the .mov that was posted earlier, please view this one, that one was a lot darker than the original (no offense to the converter, and my thanks to him for trying :) )

10. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    yes i loved it!

if you space them out a bit more and put in some engine wash that is all you need to do, they are in a cool formation. The first few times I watched it I thought you stole it from a game or something, it is just so good looking!

11. Chevalier-mal-Fet

Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    Is the new version not fully uploaded? I can only download 541kb before it stops.

12. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Chev, it's fully uploaded, I just downloaded it and it played fine. Are you using a download accelerator? I used DAP when downloading it, not sure what your problem is :-\

13. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I just noticed this. The Star Destroyers look like they are pasted in. Looks a little funky to me. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: I guess it is pasted in anyway :p is there a way to make it not look like that?

14. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Gorgeous.

Truly beautiful. I loved the cam motion.

~Neszis~

15. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    What do you mean 'pasted in'?

16. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    i mean it looks like they are just thrown in there.

17. Chevalier-mal-Fet

Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    I think he probably means that there's no lighting or other elements in the picture that make them look like they belong there.

But the fact of the matter is that ISDs are large, man-made objects. Large, man-made objects set against a backdrop of nothing but stars will always look 'fake'. I've seen real pictures of the space shuttle that look 'fake'. It happens. :/

18. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I apreciate the compliments and all, thanks guys :)

Now that I want to get back into 3d, gotta find someone to give me some work to do, can never seem to get any of my own projects accomplished :p

*cough*hurry up with that script Neszis*cough*
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.