main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Isnt Anakin a bit too young for Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luisiana Jones, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    When I watched TPM, I thought "angels" were like an old myth from Iego. I did not like TCW's decision of making "angels" real.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I always took it as the angels being actual inhabitants of the moons of Iego, myself. I found that idea really neat, so I'm glad that TCW confirmed my interpretation.

- I'm here to rescue you. I've got your R2 unit. I'm here with Ben Kenobi!
    - You're a funny little boy.

/LM

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So you're saying they would sense the Sith in the room if they were more emotional, or something? Emotional Anakin didn't seem to have any clue, Palpatine really had to drag out his knowledge of the dark side for Anakin to catch on. Or is it because Palpatine is just that good at hiding?

The Jedi who openly show emotions are rare, except for.....well, the ones who get to talk? Even Mundi, who I think goes unnamed in the movies, shows emotion.

ILNP and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They had already been described in Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds.

5. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-been-more-believable.50013559/#post-50851353

Redundant? Not really. One thread about "Ick, Padme's too old for Anakin", which is exactly the type of thread I repeatedly stated my thread wasn't. The other is just a solid pros/cons of the Padme/Anakin relationship. Both are IU complaints, while my thread attempted to begin discussion about the OOU narrative failings at portraying their relationship.

6. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    Isn't it only like a 5 year differance? I don't think he's young for her at all, my girlfriend is 4 years older than me no biggy.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh, what?

Your thread wondered if the love story would be more believable if Padme were a kid during TPM. Instead of asking if Anakin was too young, you're just asking if it would have been better if Padme was younger. Threads are flexible, the topic of discussion at any one time can bend, twist, turn inside out, morph and then morph back again. You can steer the discussion with a new idea.

HEY GUYS

What do you think about Padme being younger in TPM? How do you think that would have worked? Would the love story have been more believable? Would it have been better if they were true childhood friends that fell in love later? Let's say Padme was also 9 in TPM. What do you think?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A 14-year-old is still a child so they became "childhood friends" in TPM, sort of. It's anyone's guess whether they spent enough time together to establish a friendship. I would say "yes" on that, but the issue comes in when, to our knowledge, there is no interaction whatsoever in the intervening 10 years.

But Padme doesn't need to be younger.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Ultimately I don't think it matters, but Padme being 9 in TPM sounds like a better idea. I'm one of the ones who thinks Padme is too old for Anakin in TPM.

If a 14 year old can be Queen, I don't see why a 9 year old can't. Ten years later she can be a 19 year old Senator. Plus it means that someone other than Portman would have played Padme in TPM, and perhaps in AOTC and ROTS as well. I'll roll that dice.

Bah, this line of thought takes me into all sorts of major re-writes, which I find a poor waste of time.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    A friendship that blossoms into a romance.

There. What more needs to be said?

It's good to see that ageist, genderist, and a bevy of puritanical attitudes to sex and romance continue with vigour in the 21st Century.

And I'm genuinely glad that George Lucas made these movies and not Darth Fanboy.

Is the average mindset so stunted and perverted that it must read sex and salaciousness into everything?

I thought only I did that. ;)

But really, some people need to totally get over the fact that Anakin and Padme are friends, initially, separated by a gap of just five years.

As I wrote on IMDb in a heated discussion on this matter last year:

While Anakin's attraction may take the form of a mild crush, Padme's affection seems to be more of a maternal concern, such is the disposition to her own people more generally. The character clearly takes pity on the less fortunate, the giddy, the pure-hearted. Her relationship with Jar Jar epitomizes this. To see more than this is to negatively impute things that aren't really there.

As I also wrote previously in the same discussion, the door of maturity swings both ways: Padme has more on her shoulders in TPM, and is literally Anakin's senior, but Anakin is more worldly-wise in some senses, and shows a more driven, pragmatic side that takes longer to manifest in Padme. Who knows, but after Anakin's against-all-odds success in the podrace, maybe Padme was inspired, as Queen, to take Jar Jar at his word -- "Wesa warriors, wesa got a Grand Army" -- and stake her faith in the Gungans to help reclaim Naboo?

What they share in TPM is rare and precious. We even see Anakin going to see Padme one last time (or so he thinks) on Coruscant, apparently ready to never see her again if he begins his Jedi training. AOTC is a different kettle of fish, but their bond begins in TPM ... and it's one of touching affection and innocence.

RogueDianoga, kainee, ILNP and 2 others like this.
  11. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    And then when they see each other ten years later, they instantly want to bang.
    This thread is- or at least, starts off- discussing Padme and Anakin's relationship from an IU point of view, as if they're two celebrities we're gossiping about. Mine is very different. While this thread does grow into that sort of discussion, it's not immediately obvious from a search- of which function I hadn't even noticed, by the way. I take it this the Padme-Anakin super-thread, to which all discussion must be contained?

12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    What did I say about sex and salaciousness?

There's clearly an attraction between the two from the get-go.

This doesn't necessarily mean they instantly want to rip each other's clothes off and go at it like wild dogs.

Credit the characters with some degree of intelligence and complexity -- if you can.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree, although if you take into account the line in the novel (which I believe was originally included in the movie), it's kind of disturbing in a this-boy-sees-the-future kind of way: "I'm going to marry you." As said by Anakin, a few seconds after the "are you an angel" question. Maybe a youthful innocent statement, because some novels also said young Anakin wanted to marry his friend Amee, so I don't read too much into it.

On the other hand, the "thought of her every day" might be a little creepy. Maybe not when he was 9, 10, 11. But once he got older, especially 16-19, it gets a little kinky. Boys at that age (and I know, since I am right now) tend to be driven by hormones, especially at the early end of that. I imagine the older he got, the less clothes were on Padme in his thoughts. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it still gets creepy.

kainee likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no problem with them instantly wanting to bang when they see each other again.

I'd have a problem with the idea that it was love at first sight when they saw each other again though.

15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The Anakin we see in TPM seems to have a sort of innocent crush, that doesn't bother me. The Anakin we see in AOTC is like a creepy stalker. That whole romance storyline is a mess in that film.

Yanksfan and ILNP like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He may seem creepy in some respects- but he's not as pushy as Han is in ESB.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. ConnorLovesPadme

Jul 9, 2013
    Nothing creepy about thinking about her everyday, obviously he loved her and having visions and dreams of her dying its obvious she will always be on his mind, I certainly would if I was in his boots.:)

18. ConnorLovesPadme

Jul 9, 2013
    It can be cheesy in most parts.

19. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I think ageing Anakin up from 9 to 13 or 14 would've been a good move. Easier to build the foundation of a future romantic relationship when the characters are around the same age and can relate to each other more. I think it would've made the reunion in ATOC a bit better if there was previous romantic tension between them from when they last saw each other as well.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think that him thinking of her every day was creepy, but he didn't love her at that point, he didn't know her well enough.

21. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Oh, well.

Thinking of her every day -- THAT's what kind of an impact she had, when she strolled into that junkshop, ten years before. Plus his years of isolation from human contact (regular human contact) in the Jedi Order.

And at least by Anakin mentioning to Padme that she's exactly the way he remembers her in his dreams, she knows he's likely being truthful, and more likely, perhaps, to be a faithful steed.

The boy does nothing by half-measures.

22. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    Okay, tantrum over. Continue the thread.

23. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    No, it's okay. :D

As long as the sparks are flying, discussion can be had.

I guess I like the romance for any number of reasons.

And one aspect of the Anakin character I like is his Byronic determinism -- this is exactly the type of person who could become Darth Vader when pushed to it.

But maybe that's a fallacy. He's not really Darth-anybody. People naturally try to drape and smother an archetypal future over the vicissitudinal beauties and banalities of the present. And wouldn't you know, AOTC is full of veils, mists, and shrouds?

Sometimes, people talk about the Anakin character like he's a recidivist, out on probation from a bad past and up to his old habits again. But really, he's just your ordinary-wunderkind, keen for a bit of fun, looking for a bit of fairness and decency.

And Padme, as PiettsHat has insightfully pointed out, is a bit self-righteous and almost hot-headed herself. You can see how these characters are a perfect match -- while calamity waits around the corner.

kainee likes this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Relationships come in all shapes and sizes. I don't like Anakin as a character and I'm lukewarm about Padme, so I find it difficult to enjoy their relationship all that much. But I don't have a problem with the way the relationship takes place with regard to age, friendship transforming into romance etc.

kainee likes this.
  25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Leia and Han are practically a decade apart in age. Do you believe that making them closer in age would have been a good move as well? ​

kainee likes this.