main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Isn't Anakin stronger than Yoda??

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by NodNarbOen, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediScott

JediScott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2002
    I have to disagree with the majority opinion. I don't argue that Anakin/Vader had the potential to become the most powerful force-user in the galaxy, but he never reaches his potential due to his catastrophic injuries. Yoda will go down on as the most powerful jedi in history. Yoda could most likely defeat Palpatine or Vader one on one, but he would have had to face BOTH of them at once which would mean facing two of the four most powerful force users ever.

It was stated that Vader was more powerful because he used the dark side, but Yoda tells Luke outright that the light side is more powerful. Also, Lucas has stated that midiclorian counts are just a starting point for force-users, it is NOT the sole determining factor in how powerful they are. Experience, among other factors play a large role in determining someone's power. Now, Anakin did have a higher midiclorian count than Yoda, but Yoda had EONS more experience than Anakin.

As for the force choke, I don't view this as all that different from force pulling a lightsaber across the room. Force lightning is a very impressive ability, but catching it and redirecting it is even more so. We view real lightning as powerful, now imagine if someone could CATCH it and fling it back. Now that is impressive.

Anyway, I guess we could debate this forever, and until we see Ep. II and III, we won't know, but I have seen nothing yet to show me Vader is more powerful than Yoda.

2. Caveman_Lawyer

Caveman_Lawyer Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    Yoda may indeed end up being the most powerful ever. So why does he hide in a cave for twenty years instead of defeating Vader himself? I can't say with conviction who I think is stronger, but I think Lucas will have to explain why Yoda and Ben chose to waste their lives in isolation instead of facing the music. Were they lazy? Were they chicken? I think not, but..........why wait for a farm boy who recieves minimal training to do your dirty work if you can redirect lighting? It doesn't add up at this time IMHO.

3. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I've just had a crazy, crazy thought! 8-}
    What if Vader isn't Luke's father?
    I know it aint ever going to happen but I was just thinking John Williams says that GL told him the ending he has in mind for episode 3 and he says it is the most amazing twist ever. I was just trying to think of the biggest twist I could and that was it!

Never gonna happen I know, (I'm not a total retard!) but how cool would it be if Vader was lying to Luke in order to get what he wanted?

4. JediShala

JediShala Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2000
    I do think it might be kinda cool, but I think that if GL did do that, it would detract from the redemption scene of ROTJ, in a way, because Vader turned back to the light because Luke caused him to see the good in himself. I just don't think that would work as well if Luke wasn't Vader's kid.

5. LORD_EXAR

LORD_EXAR Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    I DONT THINK THE EMPEROR IS THAT ALL POWERFUL.
    THINK ABOUT IT,HE IS THE SUPREME CHANCELLOR
    IF YOU GAVE THE SAME DARK POWER TO A BUM ON THE STREET,AND THE SAME POWER TO THE PRESIDENT.WHO WOULD BE INCLINE TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD SO TO SPEAK?THE PRES. BECAUSE OF WHO HE IS NOT THE DARK POWER HE HAS.BECAUSE HE CAN MUNIPULATE PEOPLE AND THE POLITICAL POWER HE HAS. DON'T GET ME WRONG HE IS SMART ,VERY SMART BUT IN TERMS OF FORCE POWER,I SAY VADER IS TOPS BETWEEN THE TWO.

6. THEDUKE

THEDUKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Yoda has 800 years of training and experience under his belt and the 2nd highest midiclorian count that we know of (I'm guessing Sidious has a damn high count too).
    Anakin has the highest count ever but only has a human lifespan. HOWEVER, the Darkside is the quick and easy way for Anakin/Vader to realize his full power. So instead of needing years upon countless years of training and experience, you only need to give yourself to the Darkside. By the time Anakin turns into Vader you will see why he is the symbol of fear for the empire and why there's only 2 old geezer jedi left when ANH rolls around.

I could get an education, a good job, save and invest wisely and retire a rich man when I'm 60 with 10 million in the bank. OR I can get involved in the Tejuana drug cartels. Make that 10 million while I'm young, have some despicable acts on my conscious and have to live under the constant fear of getting killed. But atleast you have that money when your still young. Either way you pick 10 million bucks is 10 million bucks.

7. Jedi Movius

Jedi Movius Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 1999
    About Vader and using the force to choke someone:

While its a sweet way to kill someone, I don't think force choking is all that different than a force push. I mean you force push on either side of the throat and there you have it. One more thing, do we ever see Vader force choke anyone that is actually a Jedi? I mean its one thing to choke some clumsy, stupid admiral, but its another to actually use the move on a Jedi.

... and do you really think the ESB duel was effortless for Vader. Watch it again. It obvious that Vader is waaaay more powerful than Luke, but that he lacks the skill to really beat Luke any other way than brute force. Vader is just too limited by the suit. You can see toward the end, Vader gets so frustrated he just hacks away at Luke, which alows the younger Skywalker to get a shot in on the Dark Lord.

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    ... and do you really think the ESB duel was effortless for Vader. Watch it again. It obvious that Vader is waaaay more powerful than Luke, but that he lacks the skill to really beat Luke any other way than brute force. Vader is just too limited by the suit. You can see toward the end, Vader gets so frustrated he just hacks away at Luke, which alows the younger Skywalker to get a shot in on the Dark Lord.

Vader:
    Fights 1 handed for a while
    Disarms Luke
    Knocks him into the carbon freezing chamber
    Knocks him out of a window
    Throws Luke to the floor and has the chance to kill him
    Chops Lukes arm off

Vader could have beat Luke at any time. The one time Luke hurts Vader, Vader does 1 swift move and ends the fight, chopping Lukes arm off. Almost saying enough is enough. When he is going berserk on luke its just to put fear into him.

9. BLKNIGHT18

BLKNIGHT18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2001
    I agree with slave2, Vader was trying to push Luke to the edge metaphorically as well as literally, trying to bring out the fear that could lead him to the dark side. He was kicking his a**

Anakin had more potential than anyone, but never reached it totally.

10. 666-OZZY-666

666-OZZY-666 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    About force-choke:

The cool thing about this ability is that you can do it from a distance. Vader actualy force-chokes an officer that isn't in the same room in ESB or ROTJ (can't remember sorry).
    Now, did you ever see someone use force-lightening from a distance? (If he had been able to pull it off, I'm sure Sidious would have done it to that stupid Trade Federation slime in TPM).

11. Darth_Ugabuga

Darth_Ugabuga Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Damn some of you guys are so caught up in the fact of the force-choke vs lightning etc etc. Just cause we don't SEE it doesn't mean others couldn't do it. Luke,Yoda,etc easily have the potential to do it but there are certain things that Jedi can't do.....using the force directly to end a life(Force-Choke)is the path to the darkside and quite contradictory to the Force itself since life creates the Force and makes it grow. Its the difference of using the Force for Light or Dark. Saying Siddy couldn't use the Force to choke is plain stupid he is a Sith Master and extremely adept in the ways of the darkside. Anakin due to his midi count has the most POTENTIAL among Force sensitive individuals but its highly up to debate whether he actually met or even came close to using his potential. The darkside use of the Force is not stronger but it is faster,quicker,easier, and more seductive. Anakin was impatient,reckless,had a lot of emotional attachments,and was being influenced by Palpy. With his Mother dieing,getting defeated,seeing all hell break loose its no wonder he turns to the darkside.

12. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    the prophecy......

anakin was the prophecy NO other jedi of that time were a "prophecy" so, yoda knew, that anakin would some day bring balance. He even knew that when he was talking about it to obi won. but they made huge sacrifices to do it.

that's part of the reason why yoda stayed there, i mean, if the emperor thinks that yoda is alive, and there may be another skywalker, then he would have been killed sooner. the story's about anakin, and Anakin took a strange route, through his offspring, he came back to the lightside, but luke didn't bring balance, Anakin did.

but, anakin may be a prophecy, but that doesn't mean that he was destined to be the best.

13. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Technically speaking, Anakin is stronger than Yoda.

However, with Yoda's experience and Anakin's not-so-cool composure, Anakin never hits his potential.

"Your focus determines your reality". Anakin really has no focus if you ask me.

14. Master_of_Darkness

Master_of_Darkness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Okay, Vader's has a lot of power, and, even though he has the Force Choke, so what! Have you seen Vader use the force choke on the Emperor, or someone like Yoda, that was really effective? The person he killed with force choke was a wimpy person. Also, I think that the Emperor was truly caught off guard at that one moment by Vader, and Vader in the end payed for that too. I think that Vader has the same power as the Emperor. Also, Yoda, if he fought Vader, might, or might not lose. Yoda could get real focus, and could bounce off some force choke.

15. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    Yoda was the most powerful Jedi at one point but by the time of the OT he's getting on in years. Yoda looked looked like he was struggling when he lifted Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp. Also in ROTJ Yoda himself says "Strong am I in the Force. But Not that strong." Now this is not a slam on Yoda. I believe he can kick ass with the best of them. All I'm saying is age definately plays a big roll in one's strength in the Force. Yoda could have kicked Vader's butt at one time but not when he was 900. That's why he was watching Luke for so long. Yoda needed someone younger to come along and save the galaxy.

16. Caveman_Lawyer

Mar 5, 2002
    So you're saying Yoda could have beaten Anakin at the time of the PT, but not the OT? Sure, he's 900 in ROTJ, but he is 876 in AOTC. Thats not much of a difference.

I'm just putting thoughts out there. I've seen each of the OT films hundereds of times. I've seen TPM probably upwards of 40 times. Does that mean I have all the answers........of course not. It just means I like Starwars, and hashing out the saga and make some of the gray areas smaller. Thats what these boards are for, right?

17. GORILLA

Mar 21, 2002
    Alot can happen in 24 years Caveman_Lawyer.

I remember my own grandfather. When he was 70 he was still in great shape a could do almost anything. However, when he was 80 he was in bad shape and looked like he was a 120. Father time treats us all differently.

18. Caveman_Lawyer

Mar 5, 2002
    That is true, but 10 or twenty years in our life spans would seem to make more of a difference than for someone who lives to be 900. The difference between 876 and 900 for Yoda might equate to 1 or 2 years of our lives. I don't mean to harp on this. It was just one of the things that always stuck out like a sore thumb for me. The fact that Yoda seems to age WAY too much in the year(?) or so between ESB and ROTJ.

I'm sure all will be explained upon the completion of the saga. May cannot get here soon enough. :)

19. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Vader doesn't meet his full potential because he is a freaking robot.

If he was never crippled i think he would have been the best ever.

20. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    well, if he's 900 years old, theres no way we can compare anyway, does he age quickly after so many years, or is it all slow, if it's slow, then 30 years shouldn't have made a difference, and he wouldn't be able to kick ass, so......he aged quickly after so long.

21. Izekam

Izekam Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2002
    I don't know if anyone has posted this but if Yoda can lift an x-wing out of a bog, couldn't he use that same amount of force and completely crush someone with the force? It wouldn't take much of the force to crush someones larynx (heck if someone was strong enough they could do it with their own hand) but do you see Vader lifting a tie fighter off the ground? (I'm sure he could though)

But anyway we havn't seen the full extent of both yoda's and vaders powers yet. We'll get a tast of yoda's in AOTC, and probably Anakins in Episode 3

22. GORILLA

Mar 21, 2002
    I want to add to my earlier thought on Yoda's age. Perhaps at the conclusion of episode III we find out that Yoda is ill and this illness is eating away at him for the next 24 years. Cancer doesn't kill you outright, it takes a few years. Maybe this illness hinders Yoda's full abilities in the OT. Just a thought.

23. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Potentially, Anakin is stronger. He has more midichlorians. Period. Yoda has a high midichlorian count also, yet has more experience. I suppose during the whole saga Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is stronger than Yoda. That's why only Luke(who is singled out as the new hope and who very well may have a midichlorian count higher than Yoda's and equal to Vader's) can deal with him.

24. Darth_diarrhea

Darth_diarrhea Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    it's been said ten thousand times already but i'll say it again

anakin has more potential than even yoda

yoda on the other hand has been training and growing in the force for over 800 years he has more experience and knowlege of what he can and can't do...anakin has no idea of the powers he has...he knows it in a narcissitic manner(his constant whining) but he doesn't fully know what he is capable of

and to use socrates he has the knowledge and power it just needs to be drawn out through schooling and training

25. RajKumar

RajKumar Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    I think Vader's use of the force choke was to scare otheres and to bring fear. Think about it. IF he killed somone with force lightning everyone would see some lightning. Okay that's scary, but you know what killed that person.
    Now you have Vader force chocking, You know this guy is chocking but you don't know how. All you see is Vader clenching his fist at you. Now that is more frightening. The question of wheather or not Vader could do lightning is not important. Vader would use the technique he finds would strike the most fear in those he means to intimidate.

just my 2cents worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.