main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Isn't It About Time The US Stopped Killing Innocents?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by KaineDamo, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Take for instance, Hitler.

Oh, he never had any good intentions at all. He fully intended to bring power to Germany at the expense of the collective.

That's not noble at all.

2. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    The United States is in direct violation of terrorism.

Isn't that a good thing? Or do you mean they are commiting acts of terrorism?

3. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Hold on. If we look at it. He only joined politics because he was sick of the depression. I think that is noble. But as you can see, the means to not justify the ends.

4. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    Naturally I dissagree with the way that the Taliban treated women, but that is THEIR culture, so we should have left it at that.

So by your logic, was slavery in the U.S. justified because it was the culture in the south?

5. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    JMA, I find your lack of reasoning about Afghanistan disturbing.

The Taliban was an illigitimate government. Pursuit of Al Qaeda was not possible without removal of the Taliban, which was joined at the hip. Removing the Taliban is a good thing, not an infringement of sovereinty.

6. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Red-Seven:
    Not only that, they were told that fi they handed over bin Laben and other al-Qaida bigwigs, closed down the camps, and let us look them over to make sure they were PERMANENTLY shut down.

He told `em there was NO room for negotiation or discussion. Hand `em over, or share their fate. The easy way or the hard way, if you will.

They made their decision. They chose to defy a VERY angry United States of America. They chose the hard way. These death are their responsibility.

7. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Ummmm....I think it was a bit more nuanced and complicated than that. And that there were justifications on several levels. Not to mention international buy-in and cooperation.

Simply framing it as an American Ultimatum and Wild West shootout really doesn't help the legitimacy of your position.

8. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    They chose to defy the States to hand over Bin Laden for judging. They think Bin Laden is right. Even though he was wrong. They have chosen to share the fate of Laden.

The States asked, and was defied. They choose the hard way instead of the easy way.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Hitler's intentions were not noble. Yeah, he hated the depression, but his intentions weren't to save Germany, they were to increase his powerbase. "I'am Bush, of Borg, resistence is futile, prepare to be assimilated." :p I know it's Trekkish, but it's about right.

10. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    Saying Hitler had good intentions is like saying Palpatine had good intentions because he was sick of corruption in the Republic.

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Ultimate evil is always paved with good intentions. Or something like that. Meaning that to the people, Hitler's intentions were good. But in actuality all those 'good' intentions were for evil. Hitler, I give him credit that he was a good leader and knew how to get popular support. Unfortunately that is all I shall give him. Maybe if he'd been a little less self-serving he might've been one of the great leaders of the 20th century. But alas, he was what he was, a monster, a monster who put the mask of good on and fooled everyone until it was too late.

12. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "Naturally I dissagree with the way that the Taliban treated women, but that is THEIR culture, so we should have left it at that."

Uh, no. Some things are just wrong, no matter what culture it's from. We should have stopped that stuff before they flew planes into our buildings. Some things are just so bad you gotta be the good guy and stop them from happening, even if it ain't affecting you personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.