main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Isn't it about time we had some decent books set between ANH and ESB?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Palp_Faction, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I mean, all we've got really are the newspaper comic strips and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. What were Luke and co doing during the 3 years before ESB? I'm sure as rebels they weren't sitting on their butts. I know a lot of Marvel comics were set during this time, but I think there is room for a good x-wing series featuring Luke. Am I the only one who thinks this?

2. Jedi_Master_Dan

Jedi_Master_Dan Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2001
    I couldn't agree with you more. But I don't think we will ever have a book set between ANH and ESB.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The comics and several video games, and RPG have pretty much have that period covered. Marvel rereleases will be coming out pretty soon. As well there was some rare choose your own adventure rpg books, called Star Wars missions that covered the period as well.

4. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    There must be all of about 3.5 seconds unnaccounted for for our heroes in that timeframe, between the 100s of comics, video games, books, RPG stuff, etc...

5. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Actually, there's quite a bit of time unnacounted for, as the bulk of the stories take place within the 6 months following the Battle of Yavin. We've still seen no stories about the heroes when the main rebel base was on Thila.

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    marvel comics cover the rest of the three years as do Star Wars the Early Adventures.

7. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Nope, the Marvel comics all take place within those 6 months. Most of the Early Adventures (save for # 9) also take place during this time.

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    What might be a good idea for them to do would be print a series of novelizations of the various Marvel comics, in addition to the reprints later this year.

This would have two major benefits:

1) It would (hopefully) silence the people who say "the comics don't matter".
    2) They could expand and expound upon the events in those stories.

Additionally, it would provide easier access to those events that happend between ANH and ESB. It could serve as a springboard for other stories set in and about that time period as well.

Kimball Kinnison

9. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    No,I don't believe they do.

10. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Here's why they do, Matt.

The Marvel comics - All, save for # 38, show the Rebels living on Yavin IV. The Essential Chrono says the Rebels evacuated Yavin 6 months after the battle, hence they're set during those 6 months.

The Early Adventures - Issues 1 through 3 show Vader using the Devastator, which we know he traded in for the Executor during the Yavin Evacuation. Issue 4 mentions Massassi Base. Issue 5 also shows the Devastator. Issue 6 ties into Marvel 37. Issue 7 and 8 also show the Devastator.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't forget my personal favourite: The Goodwin/Williamson comics printed by DHC a few years back in 20 issues, currently available in 3 TPBs.

They also cover a fair few events:

the loss of Yavin
    Vader becoming aware and obsessed with Luke
    the discovery of Hoth
    the Imperial pursuit
    the new Rebel base is established

Jedi Ben

12. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    The Comic strip ties into Marvel as well. Issues 1 through 8 all take place between issues 17 and 18 of the Marvel series.

13. marvelfett

marvelfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    O.k. We have:
    1) Marvel comics #7-38 as well as Annual #1
    2) Classic Star wars: The early Adventures
    3) "Star wars Missions" books by Scholastic
    4) "Splinter of the Mind's Eye"
    5)"Galaxy of Fear" series 1-12
    6) assorted children's books ("Mystery of the Rebellious Robot", "The Maverick Moon" etc...)
    7) "Star Wars 2: World of Fire" comic by marvel
    8) "Star Wars Holiday Special"
    9)" Star Wars" comic strips from Pizzazz magazine
    10) a whole bunch of stuff that I'm sure I forgot.

I think that this period of the timeline has been exhausted.

14. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    What about River of Chaos. I just got it in the mail from Valiento and its real good.

15. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Yeah, y'see? There's so much stuff during this time period that I knew I would forget some of it.

16. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I want proper novels - i.e. words not pictures. Don't care for RPGs and comics.

17. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    You do relize however they are completly as much canon as novels.

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Then there are stories that take place in this time period that are infinities and apochryphal;

devilworlds(said to be appochryphal and infinities both, on DH website.)

Any of the marvel monthly that was never released in america, said to be appochryphal on the DH website and inside of devilworlds(But this doesn't count on things like marvel monthly, or the marvel graphic novel releases which were US printed material which are said to be part of the official timeline, in places like Essentical guide to characters, and other sources).

Some of stories in SW: tales, tag and bink are dead and Infinties: ANH.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I want proper novels - i.e. words not pictures. Don't care for >RPGs and comics.

Looks like you're out of luck then, dude. :p

TC

20. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    This time period is covered. New books and comics in this time period would have to deal with behind the scenes characters, the folks that do the grunt work.

21. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    A Shira Brie or Mara Jade book set during this time would be cool however.

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "The Early Adventures - Issues 1 through 3 show Vader using the Devastator, which we know he traded in for the Executor during the Yavin Evacuation. Issue 4 mentions Massassi Base. Issue 5 also shows the Devastator. Issue 6 ties into Marvel 37. Issue 7 and 8 also show the Devastator. "

Heh. Actually,essential Chronology places the comics after the Goodwin comics. And except for the story about Bledsoes, I don't see why not. Most of the other EA comics can take place afterwards. And Vader using an Imperial Class Star Destroyer as his personal transport doesn't mean a thing. Perhaps Executor was needed for something else.

You simply cannot force all those adventures into five months.

Also,I'd like to mention that a split occurs in issue 17,according to Dan Wallace. Apparently many adventures take place between when Luke says,"Yahoo Hoth,here we come" and when a Rebel officer tells Leia that they're approaching Hoth. That is three years later or so. Just thought that was an interesting fact.

23. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "Heh. Actually,essential Chronology places the comics after the Goodwin comics. And except for the story about Bledsoes, I don't see why not. Most of the other EA comics can take place afterwards. And Vader using an Imperial Class Star Destroyer as his personal transport doesn't mean a thing. Perhaps Executor was needed for something else."

A case CAN be made about this. However, it does show Dan Wallace's timeline to not be completely correct if he places # 4 after the Evacuation of Yavin.

"You simply cannot force all those adventures into five months."

Sure you can. Most of the stories in the book don't take place over more than a day or two.

"Also,I'd like to mention that a split occurs in issue 17,according to Dan Wallace. Apparently many adventures take place between when Luke says,"Yahoo Hoth,here we come" and when a Rebel officer tells Leia that they're approaching Hoth. That is three years later or so. Just thought that was an interesting fact."

Yes, after Luke says "Hoth here we come" the book humps ahead about 2 years.

24. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    A quick note, the Boba Fett comic in TEA takes place immediately after the Fett cartoon in TSWHS, or at least that was the conclusion I drew from TID. :)

TC

25. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Not necessarily immediately after, but definately sometime after it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.